Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door locks/ securing the coupe other questions

Post Thanks / Like

Door locks/ securing the coupe other questions

Hello folks. My name is Scott Stebbins, I'm looking to get a Type 65' in the near future. I've got some questions about the kit; I know it has the door latches but is there a possibility of getting locks on the doors? Do the window sliders slide from inside, can they be locked? What is the average build time on the car? I live near the Willow Springs international Raceway, is there any Type 65 owners in the area? I'd like to see one and get a feel for the car before I get one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building a Gen 3 Coupe. Build thread link in my sig line. Still far from complete, but can give some responses. The door latches provided by FF don't lock, and they don't offer any lock options. I've seen a number of builds that installed door poppers. That might be the best solution since the release handle is on the inside. The sliding portion of the window kit they provide also doesn't lock. I suppose something could be rigged up, but really haven't given it any thought. They can be slid open from either side.

You don't mention the glass hatchback. If you were trying to secure the vehicle, that's another one. As supplied, a large chrome push button latch releases the glass to swing up. No lock is provided. Perhaps there's a locking version of that push button assembly, or something else could be used to lock.

Not sure how you're intending to use the car or where you would park it. In 8-9 seasons now of driving Roadsters, all with open cockpits, I've not had a single issue. I use a tonneau cover pretty frequently, which would roughly similar to the Coupe with the top and everything unlocked. Granted, I'm careful where I park them and don't' leave them unattended for long periods. Not sure if these are the kinds of cars you would do that with even if you could lock it down. Our Roadsters have spent lots of nights outside in hotel parking lots. Always with a cover for overnight. Again, with zero issues. Planning the same for the Coupe. This is one of those issues that IMO owners sometimes overthink. In general, I've found people very respectful of these cars and don't bother them.

Typically there's always a key some type or security device on the ignition so not easily started. Some install a removable steering wheel to make it easier to get in and out and that also can be a deterrent. Lots of options for car alarms. If the worst happens, that's what insurance is for.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-14-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Paul said no locks on the Coupe. I am building mine with door poppers just for ease of use and the set up also has a "lock/unlock" feature that I will use to disable the ignition. I have left my roadster unattended many times over night in hotel parking lots and it has never been touched. If it is outside I put the soft top on but if it is in a covered parking lot I just take the key out and go. I do try to find a well lit spot. For fun I left a few coins in the cup holder and over 2 or 3 years they never got taken, best watched car in the lot.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Even low life thugs respect the coupe! Never had a prob with mine, I DO take out the radar detector, but other than that theres no door handle, its badass...I think people just leave it alone.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't mention the glass hatchback. If you were trying to secure the vehicle, that's another one. As supplied, a large chrome push button latch releases the glass to swing up. No lock is provided. Perhaps there's a locking version of that push button assembly, or something else could be used to lock.

Paul,

I believe the hatch button turns to lock it, at least the ones I've seen.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post

Paul,

Garry
    Yeah mine locks with a key.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Any decent stereo/alarm shop can make the vehicle MORE secure. Keep in mind... if some one wants it bad enough, they'll get it. As aforementioned... don't overthink it, insure it.

Definitely don't let it stop you from making your purchase!
    Last edited by TheBabyBadger; 05-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post

Paul,

Garry
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Yeah mine locks with a key.

John
    I'm not home this week, so will check one more time when I get back. But looks like the Gen 3 is changed. It's just a smooth button that's flush with the glass. No key, key slot, or way to turn/lock that I can see.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    A simple motion detector alarm AND a hidden power kill switch located up under dash or somewhere under seat or out of the ordinary location should be more than enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Paul is correct. The Gen III hatch button does not have a lock. Interesting thread although I have never had a problem with any of my cars.

Thx,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I placed a 70 amp marine breaker (photo is a 70amp breaker) in the engine compartment under the fire wall...you would never see it if I didn't point it out...behind the driver side valve cover. Turn that off and nothing works.

Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    In the end your imagination and fabrication skills will determine the outcome. Some people are making glass automatic windows, others have made outside door handles and locks.
    You can also replace the side windows with a solid piece of lexan to avoid the ability of getting in.
    With a lock on the hatch and a lexan separator panel between the hatch and the passenger compartment you have a large secure area.
    You can also install a switch in the clutch safety circuit.
    Like I said with enough ingenuity, time, money and patience you can make this very close to a production car when it comes to lockability
    As far as time to build, a lot depends on how close to the original kit you stay. The more you change the longer it will take.
    Also your available time of course. I’m not the greatest example since I’ve been at it for 9 years. With work, family, kids activities and life’s unexpected turns you don’t know sometimes how it will go.
    But I’m in the home stretch now, and the end reusult is going to be my car, and totally worth it.
    On the other web site (ffcars.com) there’s a map that shows you where other owners live.
    I lived in Tehachapi for a year and was intending to drive my car on Willow Springs as well, but we left before the car was done.
    Go get one, and join the fun!!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013