BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Another Color Choices Thread! Red or Blue?

Post Thanks / Like

Another Color Choices Thread! Red or Blue?

Indigo Blue w:Silver Metallic Stripes.jpg.jpgCobra 5.jpg

Hey guys. Wanted to get some feedback around color choices. I'm about 3 weeks out from having no changes to my order, and about 5 weeks out from completion, so am trying to get my order preferences finalized.

I realize that this is subjective, but these are the two directions I'm thinking about going. One is Indigo Blue with Silver Metallic stripes and chrome trim (traditional), and the other is Ruby Red with Black Magic stripes and blacked out everything (Contemporary). I don't think I want to mix and match chrome and powder coat. Black is certainly back but there's something to be said about bling in the afternoon sun!

Thoughts or opinions on which color scheme? The Red will be more costly due to the additional striping and powder coating. Was thinking maybe another $1500 or so. That would include me grabbing a stove and powder coating some of the smaller stuff in the garage, sending out the pipes, windshield frame and wheels. Does this sound reasonable from the paint/powder gurus in the house?

2. Thanks mdutton11 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    Nice! Reminds me of the Mustang Grabber Blue. Looked at your build thread and you are only a week out. Awesome!! Thanks for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was expecting to choose contemporary, but looking at those two I'd pick that traditional blue/silver every time. Classic
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    That's red is on my list and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy, mix them together and paint the car purple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Easy, mix them together and paint the car purple.
    LOL...Crossed my mind...But then I put the bong down...

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny this came up today. I have had my mind made up three different times on the color I want to paint my car. All have been blue, but now with the body on the car, my lovely wife is urging for red. I have to admit that seeing is sitting there in red gel coat has me wavering again. My wife didn't bite on my proposed solution; build two and paint one blue and the other red.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Red Is For Rock Chips So I'm Going Red & Red!

Primer will be tinted red and the car will be painted red so my rock chips will also be red.

Even if we get all the way down to the Gel-Coat the color will still be Red!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-08-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Red Is For Rock Chips So I'm Going Red & Red!

Primer will be tinted red and the car will be painted red so my rock chips will also be red.

Even if we get all the way down to the Gel-Coat the color will still be Red!
    Didn’t think of that angle! One for Red!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one here right now...been with me since February...been ready for paint for a month...was on my waiting list for almost 2 years before arriving...he still hasn't decided on a color!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I have one here right now...been with me since February...been ready for paint for a month...was on my waiting list for almost 2 years before arriving...he still hasn't decided on a color!

Jeff
    LOL....That’s crazy!! Well, at least I have it narrowed to two choices! Not even going to think about black with a burgandy red stripe. DOH!
    Last edited by cv2065; 05-08-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jeff
    Jeff,

If I can't find the time to get my car finished I may send it up to you.

This is what I want it to look like (CSX 3178) minus the goofy J-Style roll bar.

Sells @ RM Auction:

https://youtu.be/FJpASOjJWa8

Pics of Da Car:
    https://youtu.be/imF-_t6UixU

What FFR 8515 looks like today, but includes the new engine:
    https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-08-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the satin or matte black trim (not a chrome guy) and I like the darker colors; but that’s just me - build your car how you want it...beauty of these cars - create your own personality! Everybody wins!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m a blue guy but have to say I like the red roadster in the pic you shared. The only reds that have ever caught my eye are the red & black combo. You likely will change your mind many times before you actually get it to paint.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    And here I knew my color all along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone done a wrap instead of paint on an Mk4? Order completion date is June 9th so I have a lot of time to think about colors. Saw some amazing wraps at a recent auto show that got me wondering about going that route. BTW would chose red from above options.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    True story:

Kleiner had samples he'd send to me, but never the variation I wanted...he always kept sending code PBE.

Couldn't decide on color...had wife and kids pick...Finally realized my family and Kleiner wanted PBE, and I didn't know what I was doing. Gave PBE color to Da Bat and said "I'm pretty sure this is it...I'll confirm later". Texted him one day to say I wanted to confirm. He replied "YOU'RE A LITTLE LATE!" To this day, I think my family, Kleiner, and Da Bat got together and secretly decided what to paint the car....And I love it.

CV2065: For your two colors...Blue will be Bling....Red will be Bad@$$

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    So I too am planning the contemporary styling, and planning blacked out trim. Any body have advice for how to prep the chrome plated stuff to accept paint or even powder?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaning towards princess blue on mine, but I think both of your options look good. It seems to me that red is much less common than blue, so if you want your car to stick out in a sea of blue cars, that may be the option to go with. Case in point...we have a road course track in my home town (Motor Park Hastings), which about an hour from where I live now. There's a bar down the road that caters to track people. There's a huge picture in the bar of a cobra event that took place at the track. There are about 30-40 cobras in the picture. I'd estimate that about 75% of them are blue. I think there are one or two red, a green a few silvers...but mostly blue (and most indigo blue). So if you really want to be different, go red.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    A66A0B67-51CB-4834-9FC4-F0B451A6422A.jpeg

thats what i plan on doing, but instead of white ill be doing dark grey
    Gilroy, Ca
    Dreaming of the MK4
    Purchasing the kit within the next 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm considering Ruby Red with gunmetal/graphite stripes (which would match my Truck) or perhaps a titanium silver with gray stripes. Blue is pretty low on the list for me just because of how common it is on Cobras. I'm going polished stainless for sidepipes, roll bars, and trim with either scheme.

Post Thanks / Like
    The red and black looks really good together, you would have a car that stands out against all the blue ones already out there.
    Mk4 Roadster #9054, 2001 Mustang GT donor, 4.6 SOHC engine, automatic transmission, ABS brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    what he said.∆. The red is very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    So we have 4 Blue and 7 Red confirmed so far. Perhaps I'll leave the bling to the Harley and go with the Red. Although my wife has a Red Jeep and we have a Red golf cart...So in the garage it will be in a sea of one color....But out on the road...Lone Wolf...Yeah baby!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    So we have 4 Blue and 7 Red confirmed so far. Perhaps I'll leave the bling to the Harley and go with the Red. Although my wife has a Red Jeep and we have a Red golf cart...So in the garage it will be in a sea of one color....But out on the road...Lone Wolf...Yeah baby!!
    Nah red & bling go together.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post

Looks great!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red & Since I'm From Louisiana Can I Vote Twice, Or Three Times, Or Maybe Four?

That's how our politics seem to work so "What-Cha-Think?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    I'm leaning towards princess blue on mine
    Good choice...

I like blue. But... the red with blacked out trim looks nice. Go with what makes you happy.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!!!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for red, although mine has a little chrome bling.

IMG_0560.jpg
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    id go red
    Gilroy, Ca
    Dreaming of the MK4
    Purchasing the kit within the next 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been seeing a new red Lexus RC350 in the parking lot at my work. That red or the new red on the Mazdas (Soul Red Crystal?) would look really sweet on the curvy cobra body.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue is beautiful . How about bucking the trend and going white with some different colour stripes? I have seen a couple white ones and they look sharp.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobradavid View Post
    I've been seeing a new red Lexus RC350 in the parking lot at my work. That red or the new red on the Mazdas (Soul Red Crystal?) would look really sweet on the curvy cobra body.

David
    Just saw an old Camaro with that Lexus Red Metallic on it. Very sharp and one that I'll consider with the Ruby Red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Indigo Blue w:Silver Metallic Stripes.jpg.jpgCobra 5.jpg

Hey guys. /... ../these are the two directions I'm thinking about going. One is Indigo Blue with Silver Metallic stripes and chrome trim (traditional), and the other is Ruby Red with Black Magic stripes and blacked out everything (Contemporary). /...
    Of the two cobras you posted, I like the Red better. BOTH are non-traditional colors, chrome or not. If you're gonna go contemporary, why not go all the way.

EDIT: I left out wheel choices, as did you. What are your plans in that department?
    Last edited by David Hodgkins; 05-11-2018 at 12:50 PM.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    Has anyone done a wrap instead of paint on an Mk4? Order completion date is June 9th so I have a lot of time to think about colors. Saw some amazing wraps at a recent auto show that got me wondering about going that route. BTW would chose red from above options.
    Here are the problems with wraps:
    1. You have to do the bodywork 100% just like for paint, then the car has to be wrapped. So it will be MORE expensive. Almost all of the labor of a "paint job" is body work.
    2. These cars are nothing but curves. Not the best shape for wraps.
    3. Wraps just never look as good a paint. I have seen wrap company show cars up close. Compared to paint, they are 10 footers.
    4. Wraps are good for doing crazy patterns and the oil slick look, etc, which are best kept far away from Cobras in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Of the two cobras you posted, I like the Red better. BOTH are non-traditional colors, chrome or not. If you're gonna go contemporary, why not go all the way.

EDIT: I left out wheel choices, as did you. What are your plans in that department?
    Good point. Go all in or go home! For wheels I’ll be running the Halibrand 17’s powder coated 100% Black. Will probably give the white lettering stickers a go as well. War Eagle said they hold up well and I can get a billboard look without going with 15’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set of billboard letters if you are interested.
    My cost $175, your cost shipping. I decided not to use them although I like the look.
    PM me and I’ll send you info on exactly what I have.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    I have a set of billboard letters if you are interested.
    My cost $175, your cost shipping. I decided not to use them although I like the look.
    PM me and I’ll send you info on exactly what I have.
    Thanks! PM sent!