Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Coupe-R build - comments please

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, gonna be an awesome build! cant wait to see the progress.

With a 5.2L coyote, I'd go with 3.73 gears in the IRS since redline is past 8500rpm. Why AOD automatic? why not a full sequential?

Also, please use full floating rotors from stoptech or brembo. The wilwood stuff doesn't float and you WILL get pad knockback, and the bigger the rotors will make that worse. Having confidence in brakes is critical, especially at the speeds this car will be capable of.

Have you looked into BOSH racing ABS?
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to keep redline around 7000 rpm for engine reliability - the torque curve for turbo’d 5.0 coyotes says no need to go any higher - the 5.2 should be even better. Full seq dog boxes to handle this much torque are $$$$, the AOD has a lifetime warrenty.....at least I know where to send it when/if break it.

Gordon will address the rotors - sure he is aware of the issues you had.

ABS will be future upgrade, I’ve blown my budget already.....at least twice.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone used this handy little adapter?

https://www.fullytorquedracing.com/s...brake-kit.html

Allows you to use S197 compatable brakes on FFR SN 95 front end. Aside from mount location - only other difference is hub center Diameter of 70.3mm vs 73.0mm - there are some hub centric rings available to fix this issue.

Working on brake solution still for this car - want and need a 15” inch rotor up front. These two guizmo’s open up a whole lot more brake options for FFR SN95 front ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those brackets seems like a really good find to me. I know I have seen others talk of making their own brackets for the 2015+ brakes up front, however, I don't have the equipment or skills to do that myself. It is a little annoying that two small simple brackets, 8 bolts, and 4 nuts costs $175. I know that is cheaper then a big brake kit but that is a lot for what you get. Still, seems like it would go well with the cheap rear 13" setup from the 2015+ that you can do with the IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, I used the other FTR kit, adapting the 2012 GT500 front brakes (although I used the 2015 GT front calipers, making my wheel choices next to nil). I was very happy with the product quality, but make sure they have the products in stock when you order, or get a clear understanding of the backorder time. I ordered when the kit was out of stock and waited many months to get the kit, which became deeply aggravating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny that this shows up now. I just got a deal on a set of 2013 GT500 calipers!
    Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe. Gen 2 Coyote. T-bird IRS. 3.55 Torsen diff.
    Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/750619...7668366966791/
    Rally North America "Team Limer"
    https://www.classy.org/team/464751

Post Thanks / Like
    So - with selection of braking systems now includes anything that fits a S197 Mustang - there’s a lot of choices.....

Any experience here with the “bobbin” hats from Wilwood that basically allow full floating rotors with a Wilwood setup?

StopTech has several bolt on kits as does AP racing for S197 front - the AP stuff is top of line and priced that way as well......back end being 2015 (S550) was never an issue to find a brake system for....
    Last edited by gnd_hog; 06-01-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with the build, you’ll run into problems but walk away and get back later and the problems will resolve

Post Thanks / Like
    Rolling chassis - well minus the chassis. The 305 front with 355 rear tires are massive......

https://www.flickr.com/gp/158809059@N02/h2Kg86

https://www.flickr.com/gp/158809059@N02/6b721h

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, 355s and you are still gong to light them up faster then a joint at a Snoop Dogg concert.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far - have transmission, 4 tires, Surface Pro tablet to interface with AEM ECU.... is it ready to drive yet?

Going with M14 forgestar wheels vs. the F14, can get 19x11 and 19x13 with offsets and space needed for 15” front brakes. A little more expensive per wheel but not bad....

Still sorting out brakes with Gordon - 372mm front with 340mm rear or 380mm front with 355mm options are out there.....lot’s of discussion on this....car needs to stops just as good as it can accelerate....

Post Thanks / Like
    Brakes agreed to - 372x34 AP9668 caliper front and 365x30 AP9449 caliper rear - full custom made hats and mount brackets from Essex parts - will ship them front/rear knuckles with hubs.....car must stop as good as goes zoom zoom....

My first car didn’t cost this much.....

Post Thanks / Like
    This is pretty similar to what I have in mind for myself, so of course I'm biased... looks awesome! The biggest concern I have with it is will the transmission fit in the trans tunnel? I recall the 6R80 is 11" wide and the trans tunnel is also 11" wide, but the trans gets installed off center. Extremely interested in how it pans out for you

Edit: Just saw Levy Racing is doing the build. I'm sure they have this figured out, just curious how I could do it myself.
    Last edited by csmith; 07-28-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trans tunnel will be tight for sure - he has transmission there already but no chassis yet. Fitting tranny first of many obstacles to overcome. Car is getting a custom made driveshaft so there's room to play with engine mounting location to help with tranny clearance. Plan to go with Penske 8300DA shocks with remote mount canisters also - to allow easy adjustments at the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is another top ($) build that will move the needle, looking forward to some pics when it starts for real. Hopefully Gordon will supply you with ample update pics.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnd_hog View Post
    Trans tunnel will be tight for sure - he has transmission there already but no chassis yet. Fitting tranny first of many obstacles to overcome. Car is getting a custom made driveshaft so there's room to play with engine mounting location to help with tranny clearance. Plan to go with Penske 8300DA shocks with remote mount canisters also - to allow easy adjustments at the track.
    I'm completely unfamiliar with this process, so I'm interested in how this all pans out. Could you try and get pictures when it's done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures will come as soon as chassis shows up - hopefully mid-late august. Snapping photos of a tranny in a shipping crate and a fuel cell, etc laying just doesn't excite Gordon that much.....

Many folks asked about total cost for build - we've tweaked and tweaked and still a few odds and ends to iron out - but drive out total price limit is 150K - Gordon will just make it under that - as I keep finding ways to "improve" when excess budget is around......

Car should be close to 2600 lbs (give or take) and motor should easily be able to produce in excess of 1300 rwhp.......that's right at 2lbs per HP - which puts car in the 300-400K supercar range. Will stay in detuned 800 rwhp mode for some time......

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing the Coupe go together. Do you have much track experience? This car will be a handful be careful out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 550 rwhp is insane! Your "detuned" 800 may take quite a while to get used to.
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have a question for you big HP, supercharged, turbo guys, what are you doing to the IRS to help handle all that power? I mean axels and brakes of course but are you guys doing anything else to help with power/IRS issues? Thanks
    Last edited by Mcjelly; 08-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Torsen carrier goes a long way at helping that. The limit is the tires and the 1/2 shafts are quite strong. The only issue I see is bad wheel hop breaking a 1/2 shaft.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    That was my concern as well... I didn’t know if the new chassis/suspension setup helped at all with that or if the builder may have had a solution? Or just be careful... at what point would a solid axel just out right be needed?
    Last edited by Mcjelly; 08-28-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is getting auto trans vs. manual - with the paddle shifters and between the independent transmission shift controller and the AEM infinity - we should be able to implement a no lift shift type control where engine get unloaded for shift and then smoothly comes back in. It’s all there on paper to be able to do this.

Just spent the weekend at COTA with my other car - a 2013 ZR1 that I am also prepping for the track - first time at COTA and managed at 2:35 on day one on stock tires and just a 2:43 on R7’s on day two but in lot’s of traffic. I pieced together a best composite lap time from day two as road course in sections due to lots of Cars out there - composite time was 2:25.....not bad at all...

I’ve spent a lot of time of Bahrain F1 track while over in Saudi and just need to get used to heavier car....ZR1 comes just in just under 6 lbs/hp right now - didn’t really push it too hard this past weekend as highest G force on turns was only 1.7ish
    Last edited by gnd_hog; 08-28-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah nice! That controller and AEM seems to be the ticket!!! I understand where your going my buddy has a twin turbo z similarly set up where he keeps gas pedal to the floor but shifts are all computer controlled similar to how your talking so he never has to lift but it’s smooth spin free shifts with power levels he preset. It’s definetly an interesting and well thought out build I love the prep work! How’s the engine coming along with the 12-1 turbos and the cams issues? I only ask because I’m looking at a similar but different build and I am only looking to do about half your car thinking 9.5 aluminator, twin, Tranzilla, irs. I’m about a year out on budget but now watching this I may rethink a few things haha awesome build! Can’t wait to watch it all come together and learn from everything your going to accomplish!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rolling back cams and phasers to gen 2, Ford performance has set that are same lift/duration specs as in the XS, will work with AEM perfectly for VVT adjustments. Both builder and tuner are happy with motor setup - will have traction control and all the other goodies available with the AEM infinity controller - which includes variable boost control. should have cockpit mounted selector switch for 800-1000-max hp tunes that just needs a little twist to change tune on the fly. Gordon Levy is doing build and we’ve been talking through everything for months now - hopefully chassis and body will show up at his place - they are on the delivery truck........

You’re not the only one ready to see this beast get put together....

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I know, you must have paced a hole in the floor by now with all that work and now just waiting on the dang truck to show up! hahaha but awesome definitely keep us updated on progress and any setbacks (fingers crossed there’s not any!) but it teaches the future builders to plan ahead if anything arises

Post Thanks / Like
    Still no chassis yet for Gordon to get started on......

And FFR powder coated the tube chassis when they were supposed to leave bare (several frame mods will occur)......

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for an update. gnd_hog? Gordon?
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiring MoTeC and Bosch M5, Fabbing dual air boxes and working air intakes in the body.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

30. Thanks Sgt.Gator thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures please!!
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

32. Likes Sgt.Gator liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12