BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Panel Marking Before Body Removal

Post Thanks / Like

Panel Marking Before Body Removal

Just received my kit and am almost done with thorough inventory. Definitely the first thing that should be done, the time spent should easily pay off later in the build.

I ordered the MKIV with IRS and will have a 363, T5 and aluminum 3.55 rear. Looking forward to getting started.

The instructions say to pull the body next, but I've seen several references to marking the panels first. It sounds like the ones to mark are the rear trunk lip, trunk side panel tops and bulkhead. I guess everything that is less than 1/4 inch from the body. Just haven't found a post that describes what to mark for the different areas.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Using a Sharpie or other marker, lay it flat against the body with the tip on the panels and simply scribe a line. Do this for the rear cockpit panels and the firewall. Next. for every panel you can reach with the marker, trace along the frame to mark where the panels make contact with the frame. This will help you later when you start to mark holes for rivets. What I found worked for that step was to mark the panels and drill them, then using the holes that were made for the screws that currently hold your panels to the frame, cleco the panel and drill through the new holes into the frame, continuing to cleco as you go to ensure the panel doesn't move. Test fit all the panels in an assembly (foot box, for example) before drilling anything! The end product will result in a much better looking assembly. Pay attention to the way the panels fit in terms of what overlaps what. and the order that they come apart. Finally, don't assemble the top and outer driver's side foot box or the rear cockpit where the manual tells you to do so. Leave the foot box open until you have had a chance to go-cart the car. For the rear cockpit, you'll want to wait to install that until after the trunk floor is in.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I found it very helpful to take a lot of pictures of the panels before removing them. Makes it easier to see where they need to be placed and where they overlap later.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply, exactly the summary of other threads I was trying to tie together. This community of knowledge makes FFR owners stand out. Have to reread then posting instructions and I’ll attach some pictures.

Steve