Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump access

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump access

I need to upgrade my fuel pump for my new turbo. Removing the bulkhead seems like a real PITA. I'm thinking of cutting the bulkhead near the front edge above the fuel tank so I can easily remove the section over the tank, then screwing it back together with some rivnuts and sheet metal. Has anyone done this or something similar to make access to the pump any easier? If so, pictures would be great.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I think quite a few people used rivnuts rather than rivets to hold the top half to make accessing the fuel tank & wiring harness easier.
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a few things. I cut up my center tunnel aluminum. The sides are riveted to the frame but the top is removable. I had the original style one where the back was angled as well (not sure if yours/new ones are). I cut that straight so the firewall can be removed without pulling the tunnel aluminum. I also used rivnuts on the entire top of the firewall and use pem studs to connect the two halfs of the firewall.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, that was smart, wish I had done that during the build. Now that the car is finished I'd like to find a way without disassembling the center tunnel aluminum, hand brake and removal of my fixed passenger seat. Just trying to think of a way to make current and future access easier. Glad I don't have a coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I did a few things. I cut up my center tunnel aluminum. The sides are riveted to the frame but the top is removable. I had the original style one where the back was angled as well (not sure if yours/new ones are). I cut that straight so the firewall can be removed without pulling the tunnel aluminum. I also used rivnuts on the entire top of the firewall and use pem studs to connect the two halfs of the firewall.
    Hey Craig, that's interesting , I had to Google what pem studs were. How did you press them in? Do you have any pictures of fire wall in your build thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did see a picture on your build thread on pg 12 post 441. Kind of a distant shot and doesn't focus on the fire wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty different than my firewall. Must be because I have second generation gas tank. I'm struggling to get my passenger seat out. It's unbolted, but rear corner won't budge. Seems hung up near where my seat belt attaches. I'll try again tomorrow to remove it. If that fails I may cut the firewall. If memory serves me, there is some space between the firewall and the tank. On top for the fuel lines and I believe there some space in front as well. Can anyone confirm this? I'd hate to cut into the tank by accident!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is two or three inches of space above the tank on the passenger side. Mine has maybe 1/2 inch of space in front of the tank. Just the width of stick on foam stripping keeping them apart on the front. Mine was delivered in November 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that's what I remember, should give me enough room.