FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wi windshield Cracked

Post Thanks / Like

Wi windshield Cracked

Been on the road for 500 miles, and the windshield cracks, no sign of a stone damage ! Is this a common problem? How difficult to replace ? Thoughts on whether FFR will cover a replacement?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Did it start on the driver side lower corner? Used to be a common issue. Havent heard of any breaking recently. How old is your kit?
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you shim between the windshield arms and chassis to take up any and all free space or just tighten the bolts to pull it in tight? We've been through this about a hundred times---glass doesn't bend well and if you did the latter the stress most likely caused it to crack.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    It runs from ~ 2 inches from top left down diagonally to about even with the steering column. Been awhile since it was installed but remember it being pretty snug to the chassis.., I'll certainly check before replacing the glass. Difficult to replace?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my windshield crack after about 1 year - my kit is #8305 shipped in May 2014. Just got on the road in April 2017. Heated garage. It was OK in the evening. Came out the next morning and it was cracked.

Anyway, after hearing about the numerous cracked windshields, I went with Lexan from Fast Freddies. About the same price and reasonably easy to install. Had it on for about 4-6 weeks now. No complaints except minor "rainbows" when you have polarized glasses on. No big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you ask me FFR should cover it, but if they will or not, is a toss of the dice. Be worth contacting them though, just in case.

This has been an ongoing issue with the FFR windshields, for the last decade. There must be dozens of them by now.

The suggesting of shimming the posts, (as Jeff mentions), may be a good method to prevent it happening, but is certainly not mentioned in my build manual anywhere. Was it in yours? ...No..well then the responsibility shouldn't fall on your shoulder to spend $500+ to replace it. Others, trying to discover the reason for the cracking, have detected the edges of the glass are not properly finished and very uneven. Some feel this unevenness creates stress points in the frame, that cause the cracks. Some have ground smooth the edges themselves, or had it done professionally, as a preventative measure themselves. Again, this wasn't mentioned in the FFR build manual, nor have I see any official bulletins issued regarding it. Should an inherent flaw of a manufactured product, really be the responsibility of the purchaser?

Post Thanks / Like
    Posed the questions to FFR this morning, we'll see the response. Based on my previous experience with FFR they've stood behind their product, from the incorrectly welded control arm bracket to ignition switch, headlight replacement, etc., hope the trend continues!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    ...The suggesting of shimming the posts, (as Jeff mentions), may be a good method to prevent it happening, but is certainly not mentioned in my build manual anywhere. Was it in yours?
    This is going to come across as blunt but this kind of tickles a hot button for me. The manual doesn't tell you the proper way to bend & flare brake lines either...or how to correctly make electrical connections...or how to center the steering rack...or that you may need to adjust some mounting tabs or alter the length of provided spacers...or the nuances of fitting and adjusting the moving body panels...or any number of other things that must be done. So if something goes wrong due to an error in construction is it their fault? C'mon, as I've said before we aren't building IKEA bookshelves here. They don't just snap together---making adjustments so that parts and components fit and function correctly is part of the deal. That's the difference between "assembling" and "building".

Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    ...well then the responsibility shouldn't fall on your shoulder to spend $500+ to replace it...
    So this argument says that if a builder (or assembler) cheeses up a brake line by putting a kink in it while bending that FFR should replace it because the manual did not explain the proper method of bending them? Where does personal responsibility begin?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    This is going to come across as blunt but this kind of tickles a hot button for me. The manual doesn't tell you the proper way to bend & flare brake lines either...or how to correctly make electrical connections...or how to center the steering rack...or that you may need to adjust some mounting tabs or alter the length of provided spacers...or the nuances of fitting and adjusting the moving body panels...or any number of other things that must be done. So if something goes wrong due to an error in construction is it their fault? C'mon, as I've said before we aren't building IKEA bookshelves here. They don't just snap together---making adjustments so that parts and components fit and function correctly is part of the deal. That's the difference between "assembling" and "building".

So this argument says that if a builder (or assembler) cheeses up a brake line by putting a kink in it while bending that FFR should replace it because the manual did not explain the proper method of bending them? Where does personal responsibility begin?

Jeff
    You said it much better and more politely than I was thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Understand where you're coming from Jeff, but FFR does caution the installation of the screws into the window frame to prevent stripping but nothing cautioning the potential issue of stressing the windshield arms. Perhaps in future updates to their "manual" a cautionary statement might be added. When I disassemble I'll see if I stressed the arms or if there are imperfections in edges of the glass.

p.s. FFR is sending a replacement

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said. I had my fair share of challenges as well.

I never faulted FFR with respect to instructions. Perhaps some concerns with quality control though.

The forums are a wealth of information addressing nearly every problem. In addition there is the greatest resource for builders with limited experience at Mott Build School. I cannot think of another kit car with this level of support.

Jeff
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    So this argument says that if a builder (or assembler) cheeses up a brake line by putting a kink in it while bending that FFR should replace it because the manual did not explain the proper method of bending them? Where does personal responsibility begin? Jeff
    I understand what your saying, and agree with the majority of it.

Bending a brake line correctly, is something a builder pretty well needs to learn on his own. They are generic to all vehicles, as are many aspects of our vehicles, whereas the windshield is pretty exclusive to our cars, and have been known to fail on a fairly regular basis. They are also expensive to replace. Therefore, I see this issue as more than an "error in construction".. If there are proven solutions to prevent this issue, is it really that far-fetched to think they should inform builders of them?
    I am a huge promoter of FFR, and believe they are extremely good at standing behind their products. You have to admit thought the build manuals have never been that great. No doubt at all, that the build forums are extremely beneficial to a new builder, thanks to members such as yourself.

I'm very happy for Jwebb, that FFR is stepping up, and providing him a replacement. Perhaps an indication they do recognize it's an issue, and not just an error in construction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never put too much stock in the build manual.......

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    Understand where you're coming from Jeff, but FFR does caution the installation of the screws into the window frame to prevent stripping but nothing cautioning the potential issue of stressing the windshield arms. Perhaps in future updates to their "manual" a cautionary statement might be added. When I disassemble I'll see if I stressed the arms or if there are imperfections in edges of the glass.

p.s. FFR is sending a replacement
    Good for you. My advice is to put it up for sale and purchase a lexan replacement from Fast Freddie. And never worry about it again.