Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which Color of PPG Epoxy Sealer

Post Thanks / Like

Which Color of PPG Epoxy Sealer

I'm undecided on my final color, so will be putting the car in PPG DPXXLF Epoxy Sealer and keeping it like that for a while (year of so).

I'm hesitant on the Black color, DP90LF, due living in the south. And after looking at all of the colors, I am partial to the grey primer color of DP50LF.

I am currently leaning towards a final lighter color top coat.

So, at the stage that I'm in, is there any disadvantage/advantage to picking a color of the Epoxy Sealer?

Thanks for entertaining my silly question.
    Dave

(This portion of the thread is information for the non-Jeffs reading the post that didn't know)
    According to the PPG info, DPLF Epoxy Primer comes in 6 colors;
    DP40LF (Gray–Green), DP48LF (White),
    DP50LF (Gray), DP60LF (Blue), DP74LF
    (Red Oxide), and DP90LF (Black).
    Last edited by DadofThree; 05-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing your long range plan Dave it's really not going to matter because you'll be hitting it again after your final body prep before going to finish paint.

Several years ago my good Florida buddy John Phillips was planning to run his third FFR in sealer for a year or so. John LOVES old school Hot Rod flames so as he was finishing up and just getting it road & track worthy I flew down for a few days and by the time I came home it was wearing blue DP60 epoxy with white/yellow/orange/red/blue flames! He still says that he kind of regretted finally giving it an "adult" paint job!

So, with all that said---how about blue!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If your planning on painting in a year or so, is it really worth the effort, time, and expense?

You can get away with driving it in gel-coat without any repercussions. A matching color spray bomb, to seal the seams, if they are sanded back already, would be all you'd need..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    If your planning on painting in a year or so, is it really worth the effort, time, and expense?

You can get away with driving it in gel-coat without any repercussions. A matching color spray bomb, to seal the seams, if they are sanded back already, would be all you'd need..
    Sorry Bill, you don't know the whole story and are wrong. Dave has done bodywork and has it in Slick Sand. Slick Sand is not impervious. Driving it unsealed leaves open the potential for road grime and contamination to get into and work it's way under the high build poly primer which could create a real mess later.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh !..In that case, I agree 100%..I didn't know it was already primered..

Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing your base coat color is nice because if you tint the epoxy and primers you end up with better hiding during base coating, but mostly if you get a chip it won’t show as bad as a contrasting color. For me I knew I was going with a metallic grey color so I mixed my Sikkens epoxy to make grey, same as the primer. How ever at the end of the day it’s not a huge issue what ever color you use for primers and epoxy. If you run it for a while you’ll have some chips to fix and you will likely hit it with some primer and wet sanding before the final reduced epoxy and base coats in the booth.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post

right now I wish I had done that. Thank you Bill
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be more inclined to go with a Epoxy-Urethane hybrid....and stick to gray tones. Lighter the better for seeing pin holes. Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Knowing your long range plan Dave it's really not going to matter because you'll be hitting it again after your final body prep before going to finish paint.

Several years ago my good Florida buddy John Phillips was planning to run his third FFR in sealer for a year or so. John LOVES old school Hot Rod flames so as he was finishing up and just getting it road & track worthy I flew down for a few days and by the time I came home it was wearing blue DP60 epoxy with white/yellow/orange/red/blue flames! He still says that he kind of regretted finally giving it an "adult" paint job!

So, with all that said---how about blue!

Jeff

I did check out all of the colors. You'll did a good job. Maybe you need a quick vacation on Tybee.

Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    I would be more inclined to go with a Epoxy-Urethane hybrid....and stick to gray tones. Lighter the better for seeing pin holes. Bat
    Could you give a suggestion?

I've been looking at Epoxy Primer and what I thought were sealers. There's an overwhelming amount of product. I've gotten a price of $430 for a gallon of DP50LF with 2 qts hardener. I'm reading that the 401 possibly better for my application (stay in primer for a year).

I got off the phone with Eastwood Tech Help and they suggested that their Epoxy Primer and Catalyst would work as a sealer if reduced by 20% with an Urethane Reducer. Total for those items would be $126 + tax and shipping

Maybe that's the route to take.
    Last edited by DadofThree; 05-15-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is Valspar VP50 with actuator and reducer.

The vendor said that this could be any color, and can be sprayed over the slick sand and act as a sealer when the reducer is added.

It's a 4:1:2 ratio with the epoxy:actuator:reducer

Price after tax is $317.08
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to your local paint supplier. Tell them what you want to do and get options from them. Eastwood has it's place I mean they must , right?just not sure where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Go to your local paint supplier. Tell them what you want to do and get options from them. Eastwood has it's place I mean they must , right?just not sure where.
    Will do.
    Dave