Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pick-up for In-tank Pump & EFI

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pick-up for In-tank Pump & EFI

Hi,

Working on my fuel system. Using an in-tank e-pump and associated pick-up. The manual only addresses the external pump pick-up.

Planning to drill out inlet for the return line as suggested for this unit. The manual also suggested to remove/disregard the "rubber piece" (i.e. duck-billed valve) at the end of the return line.

Is this the case for the return line for the in-tank/e-pump set-up ?

Thanks in advance

Mark
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    this is the section of the manual I am referring to:

fuel pick-up by Mark Lewis, on Flickr
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    I left mine on the return line with my in-tank electric pump. I haven't had any issues with it on and I feel like that's the way it came, so why change it.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have always drilled out the tips of the EFI pump supply and return lines to minimize flow restrictions. Be sure to de-burr the ID and especially the OD after drilling and blow out any chips.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've started using the Mass Flo in-tank hangers on all our customer cars. A bit pricey but we don't have to worry about upgrading it later if our fuel demand changes later on.

http://www.promracing.com/fuel-suppl...-mustangs.html
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    The Pro-M is a quality piece, just be sure to mark pressure and return before installing... They are the same size and can easily get mixed up.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    I have always drilled out the tips of the EFI pump supply and return lines to minimize flow restrictions. Be sure to de-burr the ID and especially the OD after drilling and blow out any chips.
    Thanks Mark.

I did drill out the inlet tip. What's your take on the rubber valve at the outlet end; leave it on or off ??

Thanks others for the recommendation on the Mass Flo pick-up. Looks like a nice unit. I'm think I will stay w/ what I got to try to save a couple of bucks (for something else ...)

Post Thanks / Like
    The rubber piece is a spray nozzle to spray return fuel on the pump. Its purpose is to provide pump cooling when fuel quantity is less than about 1/3 tank. I’d leave it on.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting...

I thought it was a check valve of some sort. I'll ignore the manual and leave it on.

Thanks,

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Or just buy a Mustang in tank complete assembly and bolt it in. As long as it has enough supply volume. JMHO, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would use the in-tank/pick-up received from FFR.

Was interested to know how it relates to the external pump/pick-up assembly that is (only) shown in the manual where the mod's to the pick-up are suggested (i.e. drill lout of the return line inlet and the removal of the "rubber piece" at the end of the return line)