FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine compartment temps

Post Thanks / Like

Engine compartment temps

I remember reading a lot of threads where somebody mentioned that the engine compartment gets hot, and searching, I found a bunch more. That includes one where Jim mentioned the 1/4 window vents on the C were intended to help keep the temps down. But exactly how hot does it get in the engine compartment? Anybody got measurements?

Post Thanks / Like
    Imo, you can't have too many fresh air vents in this car. I have a footwell vent for both sides. I'll prolly do most of my driving with the windows down. Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has considered "wind wings", something that would mount to the A-pillar and direct fresh air into the cabin. Anybody?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    I remember reading a lot of threads where somebody mentioned that the engine compartment gets hot, and searching, I found a bunch more. That includes one where Jim mentioned the 1/4 window vents on the C were intended to help keep the temps down. But exactly how hot does it get in the engine compartment? Anybody got measurements?
    This was a snap shot from a couple of years ago.
    I don't think we had the wheel wells or belly pan installed at this point.
    Looks like temp started at 120 and dropped top 102 at speed.
    Later in 2016 we moved the our cold air intake to the side vent. The intake temperature now read ambient air temp.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-15-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Imo, you can't have too many fresh air vents in this car. I have a footwell vent for both sides. I'll prolly do most of my driving with the windows down. Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has considered "wind wings", something that would mount to the A-pillar and direct fresh air into the cabin. Anybody?
    Are you thinking of something like a wind wing like from cars from the '60s or something like is on some Daytona coupe's?

Personally I was thinking how a wind deflector would look. I hadn't thought about about deflecting air in the cabin. you got me thinking now that wind wing would be easier to install than a foot box vent with all the duct work needed for that . Hmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    My version of a wind wing would look very similar to the A-pillar exterior contour, mounted such that a gap exists between the A-pillar and the wing. When viewed from the front, the wing would hardly be noticeable, especially if painted the same as the car. Also, some adjustment would be nice too, so the airflow could be adjusted/aimed. One drawback would be the escaping underhood heat being drawn into the cabin. It could be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new F-1 cars have a similar type stacked wing, hardly noticeable, atop the halo bar to help direct airflow. It matches the contour of the halo bar, separated by stand-offs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob - interesting to see your coolant temperatures dropping more the longer the run went on. I know there are different aftermarket replacements but assuming you have a standard 195F thermostat (as indicated by your starting temp) it would have actually been starting to close by the end of your run. Unfortunately the data cuts off as it really starts to drop. IIRC, they are supposed to close completely around 175-180F.

I don't have any fancy data logs, but this pretty much confirms what I've seen in practice with my car. I know my 2.5NA is a different beast than a built turbo motor, but I stand by my belief that if you have cooling problems on this car it's because you haven't gotten all the air out of the system or have made no attempt to duct/vent things.

Post Thanks / Like
    During my 14.4 mile run yesterday my pre intercooler temps on normal cruise were 110-118. Outside air temps were 58-60. This is with all the covers on but no rear belly pan. Air intake is inside the engine compartment. With the rear cover off this temp is at ambient on normal cruise 45-50 mph. Country roads. Surprisingly very close to Bobs data. Cool air intake definitely needed and in the works.
    Last edited by DMC7492; 05-18-2018 at 11:16 AM.