BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trailer Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Trailer Brakes

For those purchasing serpent express trailers are electric brakes std or optional. Also, if you are pulling the trailer with an SUV rated to pull the trailer and car, say up to 5,000 lbs, but the SUV is only wired for the trailer brakes, are you purchasing an aftermarket controller. Or, are trailer brakes not really necessary for the trailer/Cobra combination?

I have some decisions to make and thought I would tap into the broad experience of forum member's. Thanks
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    (1) Yes they come standard with 4-wheel electric brakes. Pretty sure that's mandatory for a 4-wheel trailer of that size/class. (2) Yes a brake controller is required and yes you absolutely want trailer brakes available at all times when towing. Some vehicles have a brake controller installed from the factory with the necessary controller as part of the trailer towing package. Many, like my Durango with factory trailer towing, don't have the controller but the harness and all necessary wiring is there. Just mount it under the dash and plug it in. I'm using the Tekonsha 90195 P3, which gets excellent reviews. Works very well.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're gonna find that any trailer that will pull a 2500 lb car is going to have a GVWR that will legally require brakes so the question "are trailer brakes not really necessary?" is a definite yes, they are necessary. Yes to be legal and IMO yes to be safe.

Any new trailer you buy that meets the Fed weight standard that requires brakes will have them. If you purchase a trailer with a surge brake you don't need anything special for your tow rig but if you purchase a trailer with electric brakes (much better than surge brakes) you'll need a brake controller. Many vehicles today come with the controller so towing is simply a plug and play operation. But you may have a vehicle with a tow package option that only includes the wiring and you still have to provide the controller. If you plan to tow a lot you'll want a good quality controller. The low cost units may keep you legal but can be extremely frustrating when they don't modulate the brakes correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Typically, you have to have brakes on every axle on trailers over 3000 lbs, and a breakaway device to put the brakes on if the trailer breaks away.

Those are federal regs for commercial use - but are largely adopted by most states for trailers over 3000 lbs.

A brake controller will be necessary to operate the brakes (electric brakes, not surge brakes)

A Serpant Express loaded with a replica is not an overbearing load to stop with a large SUV (Suburban, Expedition), but if you ever got caught (or wrecked) without the trailer brakes operational it would probably not go well for you.

Here's a state by state analysis: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
    Last edited by mike223; 05-16-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added surge brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen, that's the input I was looking for. I am definitely in favor of trailer brakes and good to see we are of the same mind. I am looking at 2018 and 2019 suvs rated for 5,000 lbs towing capacity and both are wired for trailers with brakes but do not have a controller installed. Edward, thanks for the controller info.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017