BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Holy Moly Here I Go, About to Order my MK4 Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Holy Moly Here I Go, About to Order my MK4 Kit

My heart is racing and pounding out of my chest. I know I'm on the right track ordering but what I'm unsure of is if I'm ordering the right stuff. PLEASE HELP!!!

I"m getting a complete kit which will sport a Coyote 5.0 with thoughts of a supercharger down the road (maybe?), a T56 Magnum trans, IRS, Wilwood disk brakes, and 18" wheels. Any advice from some of you veteran builders? This will be my first and not sure if I should get everything from FFR or maybe some from the vendors that I've heard so much about, like Forte. I''l bee ordering tomorrow so if anyone has any input I would deeply appreciate your words of wisdom.

With all my gratitude,

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Go Joe, Go! Jump right in brother!

I'm hardly a veteran but I've been toiling on my MK4 since last August. I'll be running a Forte DART 347 wit EFI, not smart enough to put in a supercharger. Also, TKO 600. I REALLY like this tranny, but I no experience with the T56 Magnum so no help there. Happy with my 17" wheels but in retrospect kind of wish I had the 18". I have the Wilwood brakes, they look good hopefully they are worth the money... I got the steel side pipes, no chrome, glad I did. It seems a lot of guys switch them out for something quieter. Definitely Power steering. IRS- yes. Oh, and the hydraulic clutch from Forte.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Go Joe, Go! Jump right in brother!
    Like Dr. Mark Said The Go-Dad-O-Greeze!

Check out Edwardb's last two MK-4 build threads before you pull the trigger.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...rogress-Update

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...iversary-Build

Also, my build is super basic and follows the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method since my abilities are limited compared to many of these folks.
    Consider getting the manual and read it a few times, if you haven't already done that, before you order your kit.
    Good Luck From NOLA & Go Joe Go, Take The Plunge Into The Factory Five Family!

Steve

If you want to check out my stupidity, then check out my YOUTUBE link:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8m...aH45Y6h4orIm7w
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-15-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your pending order. You're in for a great adventure. The Coyote is awesome in these things. So much of what you're asking can only be answered with "it depends." If you want a turnkey mostly assembled engine/trans, what Factory Five is offering is attractive. If you're comfortable doing basic assembly, e.g. clutch, bell housing, trans, accessories, etc., then there are other options. The formula is well established and the parts all fit together fine. There are a few bucks to be saved by shopping around and also if you want to customize some of the part selections. That's what I've done. Just depends on your skill/experience/comfort.

A base Coyote with the aftermarket intake, headers and custom tune makes a bunch of power and for street driving is very strong. Much more about traction and setup than HP/torque IMO. A supercharger is cool, of course, but not sure how much it really is useful for a street machine. If you have other planned usages, then the discussion is maybe different.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,

Congrats on the pending order. One key advantage to ordering as much as you feel you will want from FFR is to save on shipping. Buying things one piece at a time will hit the wallet pretty hard over time. That said, there are some savings to be had on some of the larger items by going through different suppliers. I'm thinking the IRS components that are now readily available for under $1000 in almost new condition. I used a spreadsheet to map out my initial FFR order and identify what I was going to source elsewhere. I also split the build into phases to spread the major purchases out over time, although that all sort of merged closer together than I originally planned.

The best advice I can offer is to do what feels right and will result in the car you have in your head. Take your time and enjoy the build!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I can hardly describe the feeling! I just ordered my MK4 and proud to be among the elite of FFR owners. Thank you to to all of you who responded, your words were very helpful. It still seems surreal to me. I've taken the very first step to my dream car and I can't wait to get started. I guess I'll start by cleaning out my garage and making room. "Uh, honey, I need the spare bedroom to store some boxes. You don't mind do you?..."

I know I have to build some kind of dolly and body buck so HD here I come. Now I know how each of you felt and I love it. Here we go...woohoo!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome. That excitement does not seem to go away. I ordered my kit on 2/28 and have been buzzing since then with anticipation.

Post Thanks / Like
    So [I] take it you haven't received your kit yet? Yes you do know how I feel. I'm excited for you too Clover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is being picked up! I can't wait!!!

REDLINE.... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT! You wont regret it.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    No Regrets from here buddies...

Post Thanks / Like
    CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!!!!

I know Exactly how you feel!!!! We just pulled the trigger this morning on our Mk4.
    Sales order number 129158.... 7/14 production finish.
    How close are you to that?

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlinejoev View Post
    Wow, I can hardly describe the feeling! I just ordered my MK4 and proud to be among the elite of FFR owners. Thank you to to all of you who responded, your words were very helpful. It still seems surreal to me. I've taken the very first step to my dream car and I can't wait to get started. I guess I'll start by cleaning out my garage and making room. "Uh, honey, I need the spare bedroom to store some boxes. You don't mind do you?..."

I know I have to build some kind of dolly and body buck so HD here I come. Now I know how each of you felt and I love it. Here we go...woohoo!!!!
    Spare Bedroom, I've got my side pipes, seats and windshield in my Master Bedrdoom, along with an extra flywheel and a few other goodies.

Congratulations From NOLA!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just placed the order today and given my $1,000 dollar deposit, have not heard back from anyone but I suspect I will very soon maybe tomorrow with a delivery date. I seriously can't remember the last time I was this excited, almost feel like like child giddy with anticipation.

Post Thanks / Like
    We talked to Dave at the HB show and he said email him what we wanted and he’d “spec it out”....
    My wife and I are in Maui right now on vacation and resting without distractions lol so went over everything
    we wanted and we’re going to do. I sent the email at about 6 pm local time here on Monday.... Tuesday morning
    at the crack of dawn (they are 6 hours ahead! Lol) we got a call from David at FF. He mailed us a sales order and
    said check it out and get back to him... we went back to sleep lol By the time we checked it all out it was to late to
    call him back. So again at the crack of dawn this morning he called back lol We made some changes and he addressed
    our questions, emailed a new order and we called him back and paid deposit.
    So long story short (lol I may be the next Edwardb with long stories and details) I’m sure someone will get back to you soon!!

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    PS now I have to clean our garage up to... gave her my word.....
    Pics to follow when we start our build thread very shortly
    (today? she’s like a little kid too... “did you start it yet? did you start it yet?)

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    All you guys put a smile on my face as I read your responses. I realize that while we are all different, we are all alike in a certain way. I received an email from FFR today, my order number is #129178 and delivery date should be 7/21/18. That is SO around the corner. Do I even have time to clear out the garage? Build my dolly? Body Buck? I ordered as much as I could from FFR. The only things I still need are the Coyote engine and TKO 600 transmission. I spoke with Dan and he said the T-56 would be a tight fit and I just don't want to run into problems. I'm sure there will be other parts needed but I believe I will have most. I plan on a green color scheme but just not sure which direction it will take, so I'm calling my build "The Green Machine" albeit tentatively. I still haven't told my wife I placed the order; need to tell her soon. I'm thinking 7/21/18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All you guys put a smile on my face as I read your responses. I realize that while we are all different, we are all alike in a certain way. I received an email from FFR today, my order number is #129178 and delivery date should be 7/21/18. That is SO around the corner. Do I even have time to clear out the garage? Build my dolly? Body Buck? I ordered as much as I could from FFR. The only things I still need are the Coyote engine and TKO 600 transmission. I spoke with Dan and he said the T-56 would be a tight fit and I just don't want to run into problems. I'm sure there will be other parts needed but I believe I will have most. I plan on a green color scheme but just not sure which direction it will take, so I'm calling my build "The Green Machine" albeit tentatively. I still haven't told my wife I placed the order; need to tell her soon. I'm thinking 7/21/18.
    7/21 Is The Day My Brother Was Born So It's Got To Be A Great Day To Receive Your Kit!

Congratulations Again & Read That Manual Before You Start Doing Your Inventory!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-17-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I briefly considered buying the Coyote kit from FFR thinking that it would save me money and would be convenient to have it shipped on the same truck as my kit. However Stewart quoted me an extra $500-$700 to ship the engine on the same truck, which instantly turned me off of the idea. I was able to get a better deal elsewhere and with free shipping.

I still haven't told my wife I placed the order; need to tell her soon. I'm thinking 7/21/18.
    Danger Will Robinson!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    I briefly considered buying the Coyote kit from FFR thinking that it would save me money and would be convenient to have it shipped on the same truck as my kit. However Stewart quoted me an extra $500-$700 to ship the engine on the same truck, which instantly turned me off of the idea. I was able to get a better deal elsewhere and with free shipping.

Danger Will Robinson!
    Yeah I'd play it safe and tell her on 7/22/2018. It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

My plan is like "hey it's one of them there Factory Five trucks... wonder who ordered one? Heard they did a free give-away..." something along those lines....
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I still haven't told my wife I placed the order; need to tell her soon. I'm thinking 7/21/18.
    May want to add one more item to your garage. A couch big and comfortable enough to sleep on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    May want to add one more item to your garage. A couch big and comfortable enough to sleep on.
    Or just keep going with it and don't tell her you bought a new garage on the other side of town. Then of course you'll have to tell her you are putting in some "long hours at work"
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    All good (and funny) suggestions, thank you but my wife is actually on board with me on this "car thing". I was just kidding in my earlier post. I'm a lucky man, I know. Also, my apologies to Steve, 7/21 is only the completion date for my car and not the delivery date. But hey, date of completion is kind of like the date of birth too. Been reading the manual (whew) and it is long, but worth the the read. I have a system down, I clean when my body allows and then read when it tells me to. Earlier today I called my brother to let him know that "we're expecting" and not kidding, first words out of his mouth were "...aw man, can I help you build it?". He's very handy especially metal and woodworking I'll see if he'll let me send him the plans for the dolly and body buck. Good night y'all.