Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Guy, at 70

Post Thanks / Like

New Guy, at 70

Hi everyone my name is Mark and I just joined. At 70 I have one last build in me & I'd like it to be from FFR, I just don't know which one. This one I'll keep as my own. Anyways HI

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mark, I'm Brian! Welcome! What are your thoughts? Leaning in any particular direction? You a coupe or convertible type guy? What have you built in the past? Have a great weekend!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just started my MK IV; I'm 71. 10 years back I rebuild a '67 Mustang convertible. I'm hoping that this build goes as smoothly. There is a lot of good advice here on the forums; so, whatever you decide you'll have plenty of willing helpers--especially helping you spend your money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Mark, I've been building my MK4 since March of 2017. I'll be 71 in July. I have a build thread on the other forum as jrcuz
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mark,

Here’s a few things to consider

1. Convertibles are easier to build/ less work ( Cobra, Hot rod, 818)
    2. Do you want modern (GTM or 818) or classic (Cobra, Hot Rod, Coupe)
    3. Do you want a roof (Coupe, GTM, 818 Coupe, Hot rod with roof)
    4. Do you have a preference for an engine
    818 Subaru
    Coupe/Cobra/Hot Rod. Ford/ Chevy LS
    GTM Chevy LS

Hope that helps

Of course if you ask me it has to be a coupe.

Good luck on your choice, and let us know what you come up with.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For The Record:

You Seasoned Citizens (70-Plus) Are The Best!

You're showing us what it takes to stay young so keep swinging those wrenches.

Build a MK-4 and you can't go wrong, unless of course your crazy tall.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-19-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mark! I'm sure you have at least 3 more in you and in my opinion there are at least 3 models from FFR that I would have on my list! I dont think you can go wrong.

Welcome to the club. You thinking classic or modern? Of course, what is awesome about FFR is that all their classics are modern too! I vote the 33. I sat in one at the factory with suicide doors (maybe they all have suicide doors?) and it was the most comfortable car to get in and out of and looked killer! I can only imagine what it sounds like. I wish they had the cars' exhausts ventilated in their showroom so they could be cranked up when you visit!

Keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. There are a bunch of us old farts here.I can't bend and twist my body like I did when I was younger , but I still enjoy the feel of 450hp and a light car. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Mark,

I've been in my MK II Cobra now for 15 years, I'm 69 now . . . That being said, there are a few things to consider before you start;
    How tall are you?
    Are you "large framed" or slender?

How well do you get around now-a-days (thinking that there are quite a few things that will involve you squatting or bending over for periods of time)?
    Are you looking for the RAW experience of an open cockpit Roadster or the [reasonably] comfortable aspect of an enclosed Coupe (with A/C and Heat)?
    Do you want a classic racecar that has a unbelievable history / reputation (Cobra), with almost unparalleled acceleration and a harsher ride on long drives?
    OR - something more modern like a Hot Rod that can be built with more "creature comfort" and makes for a cool ride? Or a Coupe that falls somewhere between?
    Depending on your mechanical skills, Cobra's are the easiest (my opinion), GTM's the hardest.

What do you want to do with the car? Car shows, Auto-X, Race track, long cruises, daily driver?
    These are all things you need to run thru your mind before you actually throw down your money - and as far as money goes, this (and the other forum) is filled with an endless collection of talent and knowledge that will definitely help you spend it . . .

Welcome to the F5 family.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.