Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5.2XS and turbocharging

Post Thanks / Like

5.2XS and turbocharging

Working on my coupe-R build and somehow I ended up with some excess budget - so Gordon is working on if 5.0 SCA or 5.2 XS is best way to go - question now is on internals of 5.2XS - can they withstand boost up to say 15-20 PSI and generate HUGE HP and torque numbers and still be rock solid. He is working on this - but any help here is appreciated....

Any experience here to leverage? Plenty of folks out there are doing E85 (race quality) and 12:1 with turbos.....

Either motor will get cams/phasers rolled back from gen 2 to gen 1 so AEM infinity will be the ECU......The 5.2 XS actually has same cams (lift/duration) available in the gen 1 form....(guess they knew no 3rd party tuners exist for gen 2 yet....)

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about the new 5.2 XS, however, I remember reading an article about the prior Coyote XS engine series that Von Getten Jr. was using in his drift car. I think it was him anyways. He loved the engine and said it was the first drift engine he had thrashed on and not had a single problem with it. He felt it was very stout and capable of a lot more then what he was giving it for Formula Drift. I don't know what the new 5.2 XS is capable of, but I assume it was built to take a beating. It is kind of the halo engine for Ford Performance right now and has the price to prove it as I am sure you are aware. That engine left NA would still make a monster of a car, just look at the Snap On build.

This car is really going to be something, I hope you will give me a ride in it once it is done if I am ever around.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the 5.2 is the same strength engine as the A50XS. The main differences are the increase in cubic inches or cc's and a Flat plane crank. I am sure you will be able to supercharge the engine, but might be limited by the compression ratio. Without looking up the specs and what is available, Ford does offer some engines designed for supercharging or forced induction, ie lower compression ratios. ,,, and then there is always racing gasoline VP.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    X85 - racing quality E85 vs. the variable crap you get from the pump is the ONLY thing going in this car’s gas tank......

Peeps been boosting the higher compression ratios for awhile - with good results - it’s all about static/dynamic pressure. Lower CR allows higher boost pressure (read more O2 available) but at lower torque/higher HP.....higher CR and lower boost pressure gives massive torque and less peak HP..... balancing game for sure.....

Only question is reliability
    Last edited by gnd_hog; 05-19-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    And this engine is not the flat plane crank - still a cross plane 90 deg crank....

Firing order is different with the cross plane crank - and a whole lot more differences also - no third party ECU controller out there either..... ford wants exclusivity for a few years - and I don’t blame them ....

Will have answers early next year on what a 12:1 turbo’d 5.2XS can do...... bets guess is a lot....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnd_hog View Post
    And this engine is not the flat plane crank - still a cross plane 90 deg crank....

Firing order is different with the cross plane crank - and a whole lot more differences also - no third party ECU controller out there either..... ford wants exclusivity for a few years - and I don’t blame them ....

Will have answers early next year on what a 12:1 turbo’d 5.2XS can do...... bets guess is a lot....

I know that John Hennasy(sp?) put a blower on his GT350 and has some info on it out there. If I remember right, he was over 800RWHP. You may want to look into what he used for a tune even though I know you will need some additional features.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going with AEM infinity tuner - Ford has gen 1 cams that exact lift/duration specs as what comes in the XS 5.2 - change of cams and cam phasers and will be good to go with proven in use ECU with lot’s of baseline tunes to get started with.

Still plan on limiting RWHP to 800 HP or so until comfortable with car and setup. 1200 RWHP is clearly achievable from other TT coyote crates out there and 1300+ is potentially there as well.

There’s a few other companies working on gen2 ECU’s as well that might be ready by time engine needs built and might explore those options when they come out.