Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Wheel Adjustment

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Wheel Adjustment

My steering wheel is off by a couple of splines on the connector to the rack, what's the best way to resolve this? Can the rack be loosened to allow the splined coupler to come off the rack and be repositioned? I know I should have paid more attention when initially installed...
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, loosen the Allen set screw on the steering shaft bearing and the steering shaft u-joint. For me I had to turn my wheel so that the U joint would allow me to slide it off when everything was loose. To get it right it may take a couple try’s so don’t tighten things till you know it’s right.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the steering column bearing is on the outside (forward) of the firewall, you may need to move the rack. Most of the time the part of the column you see in the engine compartment is captured between the rack and firewall w/o enough freedom to come off of the rack.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't already, get a front wheel alignment first.