FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anything new at the factory with/for the 818?

Post Thanks / Like

Anything new at the factory with/for the 818?

I have not heard of a development or new accessory for quite some time. Surely there must be something new cooking?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was there last week.
    For the '33 the boxed frame for the master cylinders has been changed to L shaped steel.
    The '35 pickup frame had a slight change to allow easier access, think this may have been incorporated into the '33 frame too.

OOPS....didn't see you were asking about the 818
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-17-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Oops

Post Thanks / Like
    I visited the factory last Saturday for a tour and asked about people having troubles with the body fitment. I was told that there was a redesign for the 818 in progress, but there was no expected timeline for it yet. I also didn't get any details as to what was being redesigned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwainer View Post
    I visited the factory last Saturday for a tour and asked about people having troubles with the body fitment. I was told that there was a redesign for the 818 in progress, but there was no expected timeline for it yet. I also didn't get any details as to what was being redesigned.
    That's interesting to hear. I wonder what they have planned? I do hope that they stay true to their original announced intention that improvements/re-designs would be backwards compatible to the largest degree possible. I like the idea of evolving my car as the design evolves.

I dont have much that I would like to see re-vised, but better interior door panels/door panel attachment scheme would be nice. Improved shifter feel by hook or by crook, Spyder top that works with power windows and removeable rear bulkhead (like used with coupe top), nicer more integrated street wing, cheaper versions of carbon splitters (too pricey for their vulnerable locations).

I still have a ways to go to get mine on the road, but after last summers CJ-7 restoration with my son, I think I have this summer to get focused. She sits in the garage patiently waiting...

IMG_1473.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love a one piece light setup. A nice sealed unit would be great.
    Last edited by redfogo; 05-21-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A one piece clamshell hood like the '65 coupe has would probably fix 70% of the body fitment issues.

They didn't want to do it initially because the 818 wasn't supposed to require body work or sanding of mold lines but as we've found out it requires a ton of body work, and ever since the coupe and new nose came out, sanding of mold lines. I have no idea why they don't switch now other than they don't want to pay for new molds.

I suppose we'll find out if they are really committed to the 818 platform when/if they ever add the option to use a '08-'14 donor (which would have a vastly simpler rear suspension instead of the abomination that is the current 818 rear.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Using the newer donor would require figuring out the CANBUS to get the engine working. Most people need this feature to become street legal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Using the newer donor would require figuring out the CANBUS to get the engine working. Most people need this feature to become street legal.
    I thought you were doing that for us

Post Thanks / Like
    CANBUS is a way for the control modules in the car to communicate. The issue is that the modules are programmed. The question is what set of modules, when connected together allow you to make changes and result in the car running the way you want. This includes engine modification and ability to add or replace any component.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone heard any new rumors or details?