Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power drain in the electrical system

Post Thanks / Like

Power drain in the electrical system

Having a weird situation with something draining my battery. We ran the car last weekend and I tried to start it today and it was a no go. It happened previously where i thought i left the key in the ignition but having it happen again, I am not sure. One strange thing is that when we tried to install the horn button on the steering column we got a shock like something was back feeding into the electrical. Got the charger on it and disconnected the harness for the steering column. Really hope it's not the steering column not wired correctly.
    Any help is definitely appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    The shock you received may have been from the horn relay. When power is removed from a relay coil the magnetic field collapses which generates a quick high voltage spike.
    As far a the battery drain is concerned you could put an amp meter (set to 10 amps to start with) in series with + battery terminal and the + cable to read what the current is after the engine computer goes to sleep. I'm not familiar with the specifics on your engine so you should see it draw many amps in the beginning and then taper off as the modules shut down. If it never gets below 1 or 2 amps it's time to start pulling fuses.
    My other car takes 16 min for all the electronics to shut down, it then draws around 0.020 amps, 20ma.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim's suggestion for testing draw-down, is worth doing ASAP. If something is shorting, there's always the chance of a fire.