Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Red Loctite on the Wilwood DPS6 Front Disc Caliper

Post Thanks / Like

Red Loctite on the Wilwood DPS6 Front Disc Caliper

Guys,

The Wilwood instructions for the front wheel caliper recommends applying red Loctite when attaching the Wilwood caliper to the Wilwood mounting bracket. Even though the brake pads are inserted after this step, won't there be times in the future when it will be necessary to remove the caliper and won't the red Loctite make this very difficult?

The instructions also require applying red Loctite when attaching the Wilwood caliper mounting bracket to the FFR mounting ears. Is this necessary too.

I would appreciate your comments on this.

Damien

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, did they under design them? I wouldn't put red anywhere near there. How would you replace a rotor w/o removing those bolts? I have to admit I have no experience w/ these brakes but...I have worked on cars all my life, 5 yrs as a BMW tech and then the last 20 as a Lexus tech. I have never seen loctite used anywhere in the brakes on any car.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use red Loctite, but when you need to remove those parts you will need to use a torch to heat the bolts and soften the Loctite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked to two very experienced mechanics, and they both agreed NO RED Loctite on the calipers. I did use red Loctite to attach the rotor hat to the rotor, but that's it. Blue Loctite is your friend in these situations.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

Thanks for the input....blue Loctite that's it.

Damien