Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring with the RT turn signal and the VW relay

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring with the RT turn signal and the VW relay

JDAV had a really good write-up on this topic last year, but he's using an extra relay. Hopefully, I only need one. You decide. So here's the situation: I'm installing the RT turn signal as I write this. I'm a bit at a loss connecting the VW relay. Please check out the photos here, too. Based on JDAV's posting last year, I connected the Ron Francis Headlight dimmer switch wire to post 56. The RF brown high beam wires went to 56a; the RF red low beam wire went to 56b. That leaves post 30 and post s.

The premise is that I'm using the VW relay so I can dim the headlights with the stalk button. I don't care about flash to pass. So...

1. what goes on post 30? one of the leads from the stalk switch?
    2. what goes on post S? the other lead? Or something else?

Here are my photos:

I look forward to your ideas here!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Al, mine is set up to use the push button to switch from low to high beams, not as a momentary flash to pass. I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “dim the headlights “
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. The goal is to push the button so the headlights toggle from low to high and vice versa.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    While I personally am NOT using this circuit in my MK II, I can tell you that the #30 spade is power for the lights, either in Hi or Lo position.

Circuit is 12V power in to #30 --> out 56a to Lo (or Hi) --> headlight grounded. Out 56b to Hi (or Lo) --> headlight grounded. Looks like "S" is from the flasher which is also grounded.

As soon as I can find the VW Relay circuit posted on here, I'll figure out where the rest go . . . and post again.

Others may beat me to it

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 05-20-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished installing it this week. I used 2 relays since I wanted the "flash to pass" feature. If you don't want the "flash to pass" feature, then you only need 1 relay which is the VW latching relay. This is how you would hook up the one relay:

LT BLU-HDLT SW-DIM SW wire that comes from the headlight switch thru the Dash Harness is connected to terminals 56 and 30 on the VW relay. The BRN-HIGH BEAM wire connects to terminal 56A and the RED-LOW BEAM wire connects to terminal 56B. The terminal S connects to one of the wires on the RT stalk switch (no need for diode if using 1 relay). The other wire on the RT stalk switch is connected to ground. So when you press the stalk switch, it will toggle between High and Low beam.
    MK4 #9237 - complete kit, Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 12/11/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, gentlemen! I'll give it a whirl!