BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cooling system

Post Thanks / Like

Cooling system

Does anyone know the on and off settings of the supplied temp sender?
    Locating it at the bottom of the radiator, the cool side, seems like it would only go on if the system fails to cool the water. Is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    I moved my thermostat from intake to radiator, so that it goes off when the fan cools the radiator enough.. otherwise you're literally just waiting for the intake to cool down enough (without the pump running, who knows?).

This http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/13127-fan-thermostat/ shows it coming on at 185, which matches what I see on the gauge..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Manual shows installing it at bottom of radiator but I sure hope the water is still at 185 when it goes through the radiator. Bung should be on the top of the radiator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmish View Post
    Manual shows installing it at bottom of radiator but I sure hope the water is still at 185 when it goes through the radiator. Bung should be on the top of the radiator.
    Well, if it doesn't get to 185 down there, the fan doesn't surely need to run, since the radiator is cooling the water enough before returning to motor

Sitting idling for 15 mins certainly brings the fans on and off, but is enough to cool the water and keep from overheating in a 90+deg garage.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Well, if it doesn't get to 185 down there, the fan doesn't surely need to run, since the radiator is cooling the water enough before returning to motor

Sitting idling for 15 mins certainly brings the fans on and off, but is enough to cool the water and keep from overheating in a 90+deg garage.
    True and reassuring. Just seems weird that flow alone will cool sufficiently without needing the fan. I'm running my electric water pump with a temp vs. voltage program. Hope they don't conflict.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I look at it like I only have the fan running when it absolutely needs to be. Less system amperage needed. Probably gains 1-2 hp on the alternator!! 185 going in the bottom hose is good on the block and the Stat controls head temperature. No need for excessive Fan operation. You can see this temperature gradient on an aluminum radiator with a non contact thermometer. Just don't try it by hanging out the window while driving...
    I ended up with mine functional in the accessory position for the key also. This lets the fan cool off the engine compartment between runs without the other fuel system pieces active.