Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Maryland Inspection Failed

Post Thanks / Like

Maryland Inspection Failed

Bad news, just got word from the Maryland Inspection station, the Inspection Supervisor said that I need self cancelling turn signals and windshield wipers....and the wipers cannot be manual. What a kick in the sack.

Originally I failed on the Turn Signals, Hazards, Brake Warning, Wipers, Driver Door Window Mechanism, Door Handles/Latches. I just got off the phone with the owner of the inspection station and he talked to the inspection supervisor and they determined this.

Who else had a tough time getting MD inspection done?

Where do I find the self cancelling turn signal and some windshield wipers that aren't manual?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can self cancelling be timed; turn itself of after a pre-set time?

I have experienced similar inspections and inspectors. Some of the objections have disappeared when I have asked where I can find the requirements in writing as opposed to the personal feeling of the inspector. Can that work in MD?

Post Thanks / Like
    SDC, Signal Dynamics Corp, makes a slick module for motorcycles. $75ish. If i remember 1 flick for 7 secs, hold for 1 second for 20 seconds of blinking and hold over 2 sec and they latch on. The hazard switch now is a simple on/off that puts the module in "hazard" mode and operated by either directional. If interested PM and i can discuss it better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Russ Thompson (forum vendor) for self canceling turn signals. Work great and he provides very good customer service.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is driver door window mechanism and did they also require an external door handle or something?
    Never heard these issues come up on the forum before.

FFR has a powered wiper option with the kit and the russ thompson signal is very well proven.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the self cancelling turnsignals hooked to a momentary.

See my video on it. I have the PentaStar XP which adds the additional brake light on a 4 bulb system, but the regular module works too.

I've also attached a pdf showing how I wired it up. DadofThree Roadster pg 3.pdf

How it works

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Last edited by DadofThree; 05-22-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe check this out for your wiper problem

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Quick...hoCsY0QAvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I thought this was the initial inspection by the MVA, but are you saying you went to a regular inspection station, like a gas station? Can I ask why? Is it a car coming in from out of state or did you just build this? If me and possible, I'd try a different station, guy's nuts. Of course what do I know, I'm not quite there yet with my build.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    What drivers door window mechanism . . . for that matter, what window?? It's an open cockpit Roadster with NO windows. They surely can't expect you to install a window crank with no window . . .

I'd research the Signal Dynamics unit for the easiest route to compliance with these nut cases at the inspection station as far as self-cancelling TS. Try to find out the states written law on this before you go all out with retrofitting your car. They may be incorrect when it comes to "home built cars".

Several vendors sell a "clip-on" electric wiper motor, plugs into a power port for temporary use - that may pass, it's NOT hand operated.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Sigurd and Big Blocker. This doesn't sound reasonable, in fact, it seems absurd. I would ask the inspector where you can review it in the states bylaws.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    David - sent you a PM
    220,221 whatever it takes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Replied to your PM about windshield wipers.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...dshield-Wipers

And.. I might be able to help with Turn Signals too.. but.. that'll depend on how quickly you need them as v2 is still in development.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...g-Turn-Signals
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Can self cancelling be timed; turn itself of after a pre-set time?

I have experienced similar inspections and inspectors. Some of the objections have disappeared when I have asked where I can find the requirements in writing as opposed to the personal feeling of the inspector. Can that work in MD?
    I don't know but I've heard every inspector and supervisor is different. It seems Inspection Stations in MD have accredited inspectors and they have a supervisor who work for the MD state police....I think thats how it works. I guess the supervisors have leeway, maybe for safety reasons, I just dont know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    Contact Russ Thompson (forum vendor) for self canceling turn signals. Work great and he provides very good customer service.
    I will be contacting Russ Thompson, thanks. I have left the blinker on a few times, forgetting to turn it off got me thinking self cancelling is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    What is driver door window mechanism and did they also require an external door handle or something?
    Never heard these issues come up on the forum before.

FFR has a powered wiper option with the kit and the russ thompson signal is very well proven.
    They did discuss the door items and the inspection sheet listed them on there. I'm glad they said I didn't need them....I probably would have just sold the car. The FFR wiper kit requires holes in the body and a permanent mount, hopefully I don't have to go that route. I'd never drive the car in the rain or have it far enough from its trailer to need to. I understand its not so easy to predict the weather and the safety behind the requirements, it just sucks. I will be contacting Russ Thompson for the turn signal, actually thought about that before it failed because I cant remember to turn off the blinker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chjort View Post
    Maybe check this out for your wiper problem

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Quick...hoCsY0QAvD_BwE
    Thanks, This looks like the thing I need, hopefully it wont crack the windshield. I'm wondering now if I should install one or two....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRight View Post
    Okay, I thought this was the initial inspection by the MVA, but are you saying you went to a regular inspection station, like a gas station? Can I ask why? Is it a car coming in from out of state or did you just build this? If me and possible, I'd try a different station, guy's nuts. Of course what do I know, I'm not quite there yet with my build.

Bruce
    I did just build the car. First step is the MVA inspection and it went great, they just want your tax money and second they install bar codes and identification numbers and a VIN that matches the FFR VIN on your car, I guess for theft, proof of ownership and stuff. A guy that works at the MVA gave me advice and explained some things about the required MD inspections. Anyway yes like a gas station is the next step for MD inspection. It seems they have accredited inspectors at these stations who are supervised by a MD state police officer and the officer has the final say on inspection items. It was mentioned that things aren't consistent across the board so here we are. I dont know if I could take it to another station and have a different result, maybe someone else knows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    What drivers door window mechanism . . . for that matter, what window?? It's an open cockpit Roadster with NO windows. They surely can't expect you to install a window crank with no window . . .

I'd research the Signal Dynamics unit for the easiest route to compliance with these nut cases at the inspection station as far as self-cancelling TS. Try to find out the states written law on this before you go all out with retrofitting your car. They may be incorrect when it comes to "home built cars".

Several vendors sell a "clip-on" electric wiper motor, plugs into a power port for temporary use - that may pass, it's NOT hand operated.

Doc
    These Signal Dynamics units look interesting, wonder if I could use this with my current wiring and get a new switch, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI, The FFR supplied wipers really suck and do not work. Here is an idea several owners have done. It was also mentioned earlier in the thread. It is a clamp on wiper to be used during inspection and folded away when not in use. I borrowed these images from the there forum. Thank you to the phoneguy.

I use the Russ Thompson self cancelling turn signal. They work pretty well. You will need to ship him your steering wheel boss so he can machine it before using his setup.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kpt112; 05-23-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had issues with state inspection about 10 years ago. I had to fabricate bumpers what was the width of the car to pass inspection. I used the state datebase to locate the rules. I checked and found the new link for you:

11.14.02.00. Title 11 DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Subtitle 14 MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION ― VEHICLE INSPECTIONS Chapter 02 Safety Standards for Passenger Cars, Taxicabs, Light Trucks, Vans, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, and Type II School Vehicles Authority: Transportation Article, §12-104(b) 23-101―23-105, and 24-106.1, Annotated Code of Maryland
    For turn signal
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/com...1.14.02.10.htm
    Wiper
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/com...1.14.02.15.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Could anyone tell me any details with regards to the types of wiring changes I would need to make to use the Russ Thompson self cancel unit or the Signal Dynamics self canceling module. I currently am using the toggle switch for blinkers/turn signal activation, On-Off-On, and have the left and right indicator lights on the dash.
    Last edited by DavidW; 05-23-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpt112 View Post
    Just an FYI, The FFR supplied wipers really suck and do not work...
    Agree the Lucas style vintage wipers FFR uses can take some fiddling. But for what they are, they can be made to work, do help in the rain (some...), and will pass inspections. I understand why some don't want wipers, especially if they're not required by local regulations. I don't drive my Roadster in the rain on purpose. But I've been hit by "no chance of rain" and pop-up thunderstorms on multiple occasions. I'm glad I had them.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Could anyone tell me any details with regards to the types of wiring changes I would need to make to use the Russ Thompson self cancel unit or the Signal Dynamics self canceling module. I currently am using the toggle switch for blinkers/turn signal activation, On-Off-On, and have the left and right indicator lights on the dash.
    Can't answer for the Signal Dynamics piece. But the Russ Thompson setup works the same way as the dash toggle switch. Three wires: Common, left and right. +12V turn signal source to the common wire, and left and right wired to their respective wires. Also includes a momentary Off-On switch on the end that many use for high/low beams, which does require additional circuitry, e.g. a relay or two depending on what you want it to do. Some also use it for the horn, which can be wired directly to the two RF horn wires since the horn relay is already in the RF fuse panel.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-23-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another idea some other members have tried.

Look up Pentastar-XP on Amazon it is a self cancelling electrical module that uses timing modes and the brake pedals to self cancel. For $100 it may be better than the russ thompson setup.

Good Luck
    512xm6qFBZL.jpg

Signal Dynamics Pentastar-XP Turn Signal/Brake Light System Module 01017

All the features of a self-canceling turn signal module with the addition of a turn signal to brake light module
    Applying the brakes lights the rear turn signals and holds until brakes are released; turn signal flash has priority over brake lights
    Features three turn signal timing modes: a one-second press of the turn signal button causes seven seconds of turn signal flash before selfcancel, a two-second press causes 20 seconds of flash before self-cancel and a four-second press causes 75 seconds of flash before self-cancel
    All flash modes can be cancelled with a second push of the turn signal button
    Flash time is consistent whether using incandescent or LED lighting

Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine last summer, first stop MVA in Glen Burnie. No problems. Second stop Auto Italia in Rockville. They were recommended in these forums going back to when I started my build in 2007. Also no problem.

While building I spoke to several inspection stations about the car. Most knew nothing about it and said I would need wipers, and a raft of other stuff I knew to be wrong. I decided the drive to Rockville (about an hour from my house in Millersville) was worth it to have someone who was familiar with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to install the signal dynamics self cancel turn signal module, it was pretty easy. Removed the turn signal relay and made a jumper for constant power, then removed my existing turn signal switch and replaced with a momentary spring to center toggle switch and connected signal dynamics module just on the backside of switch, works great just as advertised.

Next I installed the windshield wipers, yes they are ugly but hopefully they will allow me to pass inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. I've already started looking into adapting the Signal Dynamics unit into my car...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they going to require you to have 4 way hazard flashers? If so shoot me a message and I'll tell you how to do it when using a single on/off/on momentary toggle like you have.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said. Adding additional stuff for Hazards is easy if they require it.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to install the signal dynamics self cancel turn signal module, it was pretty easy. Removed the turn signal relay and made a jumper for constant power, then removed my existing turn signal switch and replaced with a momentary spring to center toggle switch and connected signal dynamics module just on the backside of switch, works great just as advertised.

Next I installed the windshield wipers, yes they are ugly but hopefully they will allow me to pass inspection.

Love the color of your car. What grey and red did you use?

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post

Steve
    I was thinking the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    PASSED INSPECTION.......FINALLY !

Nice work. I've already started looking into adapting the Signal Dynamics unit into my car...
    I wish I could find a momentary toggle that matched the FFR switch in the kit, I go tone from Radio Shack and it doesn't match or fit very well.

No flashers required!!

Here you go, colors are sterling grey metallic M7205, rubi red metallic M7283, and the small strip is tuxedo black metallic M7211.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had not decided on what gray I was going to use. I saw your car body at Whitby's and decided right then and there that I was going Ford Sterling Gray Metallic. Everything else will be different, but that gray is to die for.

Congrats on the inspection! WooHoo! Tags!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I had not decided on what gray I was going to use. I saw your car body at Whitby's and decided right then and there that I was going Ford Sterling Gray Metallic. Everything else will be different, but that gray is to die for.

Congrats on the inspection! WooHoo! Tags!!
    Thanks, that means a lot. Just so you know when I saw your interior pics I immediately wished I had done gray interior. Your car is going to look awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that means a lot. Just so you know when I saw your interior pics I immediately wished I had done gray interior. Your car is going to look awesome.
    Thanks Dave... I sure hope so. Cant afford to do another one for a few years.

We have to get together sometime soon...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us