FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Building the cheapest 818 in America

Post Thanks / Like

Building the cheapest 818 in America

Hello Everyone,

I've always wanted to build my own car. Having a machine you know every inch of, every part had your fingerprints on and you know it inside out just has to be the best way of ownership. And having played too many computer games growing up, upgrading a car as funds become available just seems like so much fun.

Also, as I won't be here in California forever I want to drive the amazing tracks around me: Sonoma, Laguna Seca, Thunder Hill, Willow springs. It would a dream come true to race these in a car I truly own.

But, there's some snags to overcome. Here in America, Uncle Sam won't let me work and the Mrs is the bread winner. So, funds for cars are woefully short and time is the only real resource I have. The other minor bump is that I've only just passed my driving test and have barley turned a wrench in my life. A more major bump is that I don't have any tools or space. There's a nagging thought I should just get a Miata, S2000 or Boxster with what little cash I have and pay someone to fix it.

But, giving up doesn't seem to be the ways things are done here in the USA and where there's a will there's a way. I've about $15,000 to spend, a load of free time and a rental workshop just down the road. I want to keep the car for life and have it follow me around the world.

So, it's got to be the 818s. It needs to be cheap, simple and reliable. I'd love to prove to myself, you guys and everyone else that the most ill-equipped person here can build a great car for under $15,000. I'd also like to prove it to the world with a live stream of every bit of work done, a you tube channel detailing every major step and to share the research with others who would like to do the same. If I can do it, anyone can.

It can be done, but I will need your help!

-Edwin

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do it, I've done plenty roadsters cheap, usually get a kit someone never started, sometimes you can find parts cheap or free here or craigslist

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we can help. Yes, you can do it, Yes, driving a car you built yourself is an unbelievable blast.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete. I have to admit some of the build threads here are a little off putting, but I think with enough preparation I can get it done. I've the time and motivation at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    You can do it, I've done plenty roadsters cheap, usually get a kit someone never started, sometimes you can find parts cheap or free here or craigslist
    I'll look into this as every cent saved is more fuel for fun

Post Thanks / Like
    First step is to hunt down a started but unfinished 818 kit that someone wants out of their garage. Ok Folks, where are we going to find the Boss here an unfinished 818 kit, preferably with a motor and tranny included? Eyes open everyone!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    *crosses fingers*

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to find a local builder in your area and check out an 818 in person. You could learn a lot and see just what you're getting yourself into. Building an 818 for $15k is ambitious but possible and will require a lot of planning - mainly finding good donor parts and an engine that doesn't need much work. As others have mentioned, finding a partially completed 818 is the most cost effective route but those pop up ever so often and may not be anywhere near you so you'd have to think about transport cost. I would imagine that buying a new 818 kit and transporting it to California would be cost prohibitive for your budget. You'll also probably have to spend a few hundred on tools depending on what's available at your workshop. You mentioned you need it to be cheap, simple and reliable - well the first two are very possible but the reliable part may prove to be the most difficult (on a budget). Typically, affordable donor parts are high mileage and require maintenance to avoid reliability issues (new gaskets, o-rings, hoses, timing belt, suspension bushings, brakes, etc.).

With all that said, this forum is an excellent resource and you should be able to get an answer for just about any question. There's a ton of good material here and it just takes time to research... but you may also find a lot of other things to buy And I would certainly enjoy watching an 818 build on youtube. So best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    You may want to find a local builder in your area and check out an 818 in person
    I've found a map of 818 owners and mailed the two members here who have themselves registered. If anyone else in the Bay Area would show me any FFR car I'd be pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Building an 818 for $15k is ambitious but possible and will require a lot of planning
    Luckily time to plan is the resource I have. I do hope I can get the project done for under $15k but increasingly aware this figure might be out of date, not pertinent to someone without a decades of experience, and was probably rounded down for marketing reasons at some point I think trying to capture costs first and checking viability before learning how a EJ25 strips down. Still, while I can't work to earn money I can hopefully work for parts / workshop time / power coats etc. Who knows if I end up cleaning a workshop for the next six months

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    First step is to hunt down a started but unfinished 818 kit that someone wants out of their garage. Ok Folks, where are we going to find the Boss here an unfinished 818 kit, preferably with a motor and tranny included? Eyes open everyone!!
    I just wanna piggy back the "incomplete kit"... get one NOT STARTED... not one that's a spider web and wasp nest of confusion. Counter productive with limited building skills.

Otherwise... Cali native here. Where are you located in CA? Happy to help any way I can, and I've got a ton of Suby experience, despite not building an 818... yet.

Subscribed!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah you are going to need a used kit to even have a shot at that budget. You should also go with an NA (non turbo) build.

I was over 20K just for my kit/donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wirenut View Post
    You should also go with an NA (non turbo) build.
    You're right, I'm aiming for low power to start of with. A turbo isn't a complication I need to add. With my limited experience driving I'd like to work up to serious power and stay as safe as I can. Some of first planning is budgeting and hoping I can get an unexciting but maintained donor and save $$$.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    get one NOT STARTED
    Agreed on that Badger. I need to be able to follow the instructions and keep anyone helping out on the same page. As I'm hoping to keep this going for a long time I'll need to make sure the frame is in top condition and avoid rust.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    Where are you located in CA?
    I'm in the south bay area, Santa Clara. I will need help choosing suitable donor models and guidance on selecting one from Copart, IAA or Craigslist. I hope the donor is where I can save some money if I'm smart and patient.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm only about an hour and half north of you. I'm building a Type 65 Coupe, not an 818, but if there's ever a way to help I'm happy to. There are a couple more of us in your area. I'm sure some one will reach out.

You should be able to find a nice donor car without issue. I would say the only downside is if you get a non-turbo you will be losing a host of other items: better brakes, obviously HP, and the donor seats. Just something to keep in mind. I'd rather have an older WRX than a newer 2.5. Money will be comparable, and you wont need to upgrade it later.

Some additional costs to keep in mind: Shipping - 1) $1800 bucks from Stewart. 2) Paint materials. 3) Wheels. 4) Long, arduous CA registration process requiring you to trailer it around. +/- $500 ?

Also plan for MISC items such as coolant, welding, etc. It's possible for sure... but your kit is realistically around $12,000+ once you ship it. That leaves $2500 for a donor and EVERYTHING ELSE. I'm not here to discourage, just making you're aware.
    Last edited by TheBabyBadger; 05-24-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added registration to costs
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Crikey, is it that much for shipping... I keep on forgetting how damn big this country is! I honestly didn't expect that much though. Like you say the kit with delivery and tax is going to eat most of the budget. I always knew 15,000 would be a tough expectation to meet especially as I will need a bunch of cash for workshop hire. Time to start a spreadsheet or two I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone can help me budget, I've started a post here : https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...682#post326682

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BossRabbit View Post
    I'd love to prove to myself, you guys and everyone else that the most ill-equipped person...

-Edwin
    Unfortunately I think I have you beat in that category, but good luck! My roadster gets here in July, so let's do this ill-equipped thing together! Good luck.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    15k is really looking overly optimistic.. it's time to check under the couch cushions! Still not giving up though. The corkscrew calls out to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to figure in the costs of going to those tracks too. HPDE days are not real expensive, but they aren't cheap. If your budget is $15K you may build the car, but not have the funds to drive it on those tracks! If your primary dream is to build your own car then go for it. But if your dream is to drive a lot of great tracks across the country then you should look at a car someone else has already spent the $$ converting to a track car. If you want to talk about that option shoot me a PM and we can have a phone call.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gator. The tracks will come much much later but it would be good to understand what prices I’m up against. I’ll need to factor in the safety bits too I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    After crunching the numbers it's just too expensive. There's no way I can get the build done for 15k. Buying a completed kit is possible but not really what I want.

I'm going to keep my cash for race days, maintenance and bills. I'll go standard, easy and well documented. I'll either drop 8-10K on a Mazdaspeed Miata or $500 on a vandalised Copart Miata and try and fix that up.

All in all: Kitcar = postponed. A bit gutted but I've got a lot more knowledge about the whole process and what I need to do to prep and budget for a build.

Thanks for all the support from the members here. Hope to catch you all in a couple of years when I've more cash and experience to do a build justice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're probably making the right choice, if 15k is a hard limit. I'm keeping my costs down by doing everything possible myself, and reusing some donor parts that I would probably replace if I were going to beat on it around a track. The racers here can estimate how much $$ it might take to make a casual driver like I'm building into a fun weekend racer, but all I can say is probably more than a $1000.

I don't know much about race-tracks, but if fixing up a Copart car is an option (I know ZERO about track safety inspections), I think it would make a great seque to a factory five. By then, you'd know your way around wrenches AND corners, and have an even better idea of how you want YOUR car to be.

We have some really great guys here (and I've learned a lot from them) but the production number for 818s is somewhere in the 500s I think. Virtually any other car you'll get to fix will have hundreds (or more) of other owners you can talk to, an aftermarket for parts, stuff that just bolts in. Might make a much better experience if you haven't turned many wrenches. We do have an off-topic forum where I'm sure nobody would mind you starting a thread of whatever you end up with. Best of luck!!
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 06-05-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry it didn't work out BossRabbit. I'm from the Bay Area as well and have been following your posts. Two things I found helpful were your cost analysis and Pit Row link. Definitely good stuff.

Thanks,
    Steven