BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ticking noise from engine

Post Thanks / Like

Ticking noise from engine

Got these weird tick from the intake manifold, at least it sounds like its from there. Does not start until engine is warmed up. 302 with new bearings and honed. Almost a knock maybe, but not sure. Immediately thought was a slipped rod end bearing, but how to tell?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ticking is usually associated with lifters and could be as simple as loose valve lash (perhaps one didn't get set properly during reassembly) but with hydraulic lifters you could also have a bad lifter. If you only have one making noise then it's probably not a systemic issue.

Rod bearings are a knocking sound and that is always serious. You can sometimes identify which rod is bad by pulling the plug wires one at a time until the sound diminishes and that cylinder is the bad one. But if you have a rod knock with new bearings that would mean there was an installation error -- not likely if you used a reputable engine builder. If you've ever heard a rod knock you would recognize that sound immediately -- it is very different from a lifter noise.

You can also use the old screwdriver to the ear trick to try and narrow it down to an area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exhaust leak?
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I listened to a few videos and it sounds like the lifters, their original to the engine and are the roller type

Post Thanks / Like
    A "ticking" noise on a newly rebuilt engine would normally lead me to think its an exhaust leak - if the exhaust manifolds were removed and then put back on with no gaskets or no copper seal instead of gaskets.

302's can get a ticking noise from the valve train if there isn't sufficient oil to the rockers thru the push rods. I'd pull the valve covers and run your valve lash adjustments again, you may find a mis-adjusted rocker. Pull the rockers and check for the push rod socket being galled (rough), I had three go bad on my 302 last year after 100K miles passed the odometer (for the engine).
    You could also have a lifter that if bleeding down and not coming up to full operating range, making for a loose push rod condition.

HTH

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to check to make sure that the jam nut on the roller rockers have not backed off

I had one come all the way off the rocker arm and ended up on top of the cylinder head

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I am leaning towards exhaust leak due to the fact that it appears when warm. I would expect lifters to get better. However, it doesn't take long to have a look and adjust, if yours are adjustable.

A exhaust leak can sound just like a bad lifter. Two possibilities there. The header is not sealed to the head, ie. bad gasket. Or a cracked header. I have had a 4 into 4 crack twice at #1. A friend of mine had the exact same thing. Look closely for any sign of a crack right up by the flange. The 2nd time, I saw just the smallest bit of black at the edge of the weld.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be surprised at how good a piece of rubber hose is for listening and finding the exact location of noise. If you will run the end around the header flange, you will quickly determine if it is leaking.
    Naturally you will have the other end near your ear.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.