BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seating

Post Thanks / Like

Seating

I'm thinking ahead in my build and looking at seating. I've ordered the standard seats in leather but want to put them on adjustable tracks. I've also read in the forum that it is a good idea to elevate the front of the seat so as to provide a more comfortable driving position. I've looked around and do not see an after market product that does both. Many suggest the use of Breeze part #70602 "Installation Kit for New Steel Frame Classic Seats" which gives you the front elevation that is desirable but there are no adjustable tracks. Others recommend the Summit Racing Universal Sliding Seat Brackets, Part #SUM-G1153 that provide the adjustable tracks but do not elevate the front of the seat. Is there a solution available that does both? If not, can you mount the Summit Racing brackets on the Breeze frame? Can you use both together?

Post Thanks / Like
    How tall are you?
    I’m 6’2”, I planned on using seat tracks and ordered them with my kit from FFR. Once I got to the seat mounting stage I decided I didn’t want to sit the aprox 1” higher the tracks would have put me, would have really screwed up my line of sight and been looking through the windshield frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd recommend waiting until you have the seats and the car to make any decisions. Everybody is different. Some find the seats comfortable just the way they are (we do) but others like them better elevated, tilted, whatever. Regarding sliders, they're not particularly easy to install (just not alot of room to work) and many report once they're in they never move them. Even with the seats mounted as far back as they go, average drivers still don't have any trouble reaching the pedals. You may find you want and/or need them. But IMO better to decide with an actual "test drive."
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'd recommend waiting until you have the seats and the car to make any decisions. Everybody is different. Some find the seats comfortable just the way they are (we do) but others like them better elevated, tilted, whatever. Regarding sliders, they're not particularly easy to install (just not alot of room to work) and many report once they're in they never move them. Even with the seats mounted as far back as they go, average drivers still don't have any trouble reaching the pedals. You may find you want and/or need them. But IMO better to decide with an actual "test drive."
    Good advice. I bought seat tracks with the kit and never used them. I have high back buckets for track days and it took me many hours of trial and error plus mount design to get the comfortable fit I was looking for. I am 5'9" and have the seats as low as possible and as far back as possible with a 13 degree layback angle. My line of sight is just above the steering wheel and middle of the wind screen; just where I wanted it.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a piece of 1" square tubing across the front mounting holes of the seat & bolted the sliders through that. You can see the bare tubing (I later painted it black) at the bottom of the picture.

IMG_4111 by jhsitton, on Flickr

I also mounted my sliders to 16 gauge steel so that I could easily put four bolts through the seat mounting plate on the frame.

IMG_4113 by jhsitton, on Flickr

After figuring out where the bolts would go, my friend CraigS welded the bolts to the 16 gauge steel. I just drop the seat into the car, line up the bolts with the holes, & secure from the underside.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I am short, 5'6", on a good day. My concern is that the fix mounted seats will be too far back for me but it makes sense to wait and see. Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy's View Post
    I am short, 5'6", on a good day. My concern is that the fix mounted seats will be too far back for me but it makes sense to wait and see. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm only 5'10 1/2" on a good day and have the big and tall seat all the way back and wish I had more room. I can extend my legs to the end of the foot box. You should be good. Good advice to wait, they will be just sitting around until you are ready for the install.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Breeze inclined seat mounts DO allow for re-positioning although you have to unbolt the seat to do it. Unless you are planning on having a lot of different sized people driving you'll probably never move them from all the way back.
    Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only adjustment I ever needed in mine was to possibly move the seat way back. These cars are a tight fit. I purchased the Breeze adjustable seat platforms but couldn't use them and keep my knees from hitting the underside of the dash. I'm 5'10" and could use more room but I guess these cars are meant to be this way.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 5'6" and have the sliders on the drivers seat and elevated the front about a half inch. After driving it awhile, I never needed to adjust the seat forward and the only good the slider does is having the ability to slide the seat forward for cleaning.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build