Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternatives to Stewart for Transport

Post Thanks / Like

Alternatives to Stewart for Transport

I have on order a '35 hot rod pickup and it has been completed since April 28th. Stewart trucking has told me over the course of 3 weeks that load-up was going to happen any day. The first date they gave me was May7. That came and went. Long story short they said they would be loading up tomorrow but their driver quit and they had to send a recovery driver to get the truck in IL and will miss the load up. We've gone from them taking my order in April with the promise of pickup no later than 7 days after your complete date and no more than 10 days from then to delivery, to constant delays.

Now they are saying it will be at my house on June 4th. That's a bummer because I took 18 days off of travel for my job to accept delivery and the 4th is when I go back on the road. They are refusing to make an accommodation and suggested a friend or acquaintance take delivery for me. That's not an option really.

I've e-mail Factory Five and hope to hear from them in the morning about alternative but hearing from the community would be helpful too.

I can always rent a trailer and drive to Boston from Minnesota and pick up, but I would like to avoid a 3000 mile trip over memorial day weekend.

I will say this has soured the whole experience. All the vendors have my money and I have nothing to show for it except an inflexible shipper that's tied to the hip with FF.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do a search, this subject is discussed quite a bit and unfortunately seems more lately. Here's a recent example: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...27668-Shipping.

The short story is that many have investigated and you're very unlikely to find a common carrier to deliver at near the price of Stewart. Nor will they be set up for these deliveries like Stewart. Driving there and doing your own pickup is probably your only option and you'll have a hard time doing it for the same price. For the record, it's not actually Boston. Wareham is about an hour SE of Boston and while still lots of traffic, not as much as the Boston area. Visiting the factory and getting a tour is a nice perk.

I know it's not what you want to hear, and the uncertainty and delay is hard to deal with. Nothing quite like the anticipation of these deliveries. But June 4 doesn't sound that bad to me. I'd recommend allowing someone else to take the delivery if you're unable to be there. Don't let that be an obstacle. The driver knows that he he's doing and has all the paperwork to make sure you get everything you're supposed to.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-24-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the context. I'm bummed to see that thread. He's my hang up - they are impossible when it comes to managing expectations. Apparently they lost 3 days this weekend in Florida because the guy's daughter was getting married and he couldn't take delivery. He was promised dates way before that as well. What gets me is they expect to be paid full price.

The only way this gets fixed is if we all stop using them, or Factory Five makes a decision to invest in another partnership to give their customers choices. But why would they do that when they're paid in full before all of us have to deal with Stewart. Factory Five has gotten the time value of my money for a month and I have nothing.

If the cost is the same and you can pay the time penalty - you take this variable out of getting your kit and and get a tour. Maybe that's the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly recommend that you take the time to go the factory for a tour and pick it up. A fairly large single axle trailer will be enough.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    How about flying into Boston and renting a truck and driving home? it will cut 2 days out of the trip?

It would suck to lose your holiday weekend but having been to the factory, it is worth a visit and creating a connection with what they do there.

I hate to hear that Stewart is slacking, at first I thought there quote was a little more than I wanted to pay for the weight that they were transporting, but when I saw the professionalism of my driver, and the specialized equipment he had to secure my car in transport and unload, not to mention his help and knowledge of the vehicle and how to handle it. I quickly decided it was worth what I paid.

It doesn't lessen your pain, but sounds like they're having staffing problems and from my day job I can tell you trucking rates have been going up and trucks/drivers are in short supply with the economy soaring in this part of the country.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, seems like a perfect time to fly out and spend a night at the cape. Then you can rent the truck there, check out the factory, and head home. Honestly, that sounds like a great long weekend to me. Sure tops what I have planned which is a long boring drive to the middle of Kansas for my uncle's funeral. I understand why you are frustrated, especially with the time off, but you ether have to accept it or go do something about it and make the best out of either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater35 View Post
    Thanks for the context. I'm bummed to see that thread. He's my hang up - they are impossible when it comes to managing expectations. Apparently they lost 3 days this weekend in Florida because the guy's daughter was getting married and he couldn't take delivery. He was promised dates way before that as well. What gets me is they expect to be paid full price.

The only way this gets fixed is if we all stop using them, or Factory Five makes a decision to invest in another partnership to give their customers choices. But why would they do that when they're paid in full before all of us have to deal with Stewart. Factory Five has gotten the time value of my money for a month and I have nothing.

If the cost is the same and you can pay the time penalty - you take this variable out of getting your kit and and get a tour. Maybe that's the way to go.
    I hear you about Factory Five requiring full payment up front. Don't want to get off topic, but that's how all business with them is done. Ordering a kit, from the on-line parts catalog, telephone orders, etc. Not defending it, because when delays like this happen it hurts. But it's what it is, and in the big picture, not something I dwell on. But that's a separate issue from Stewart. I'm assuming you haven't paid them yet? My experience with them is payment is at time of delivery. That's what Jolene arranged with me and I took care of it with the driver once he got here.

Speaking of money, I'm assuming you already know or saw in the posts I linked that if you do a pickup at the factory you will be required to pay Massachusetts sales tax? Didn't used to be the case, but is a change made a year or two ago apparently after "encouragement" by Massachusetts tax authorities. You should get credit for the Massachusetts tax paid from your home state. But doesn't hurt to check and make sure they have a reciprocal agreement to do so. Also will be another chunk of change up front versus later.

It might not seem like it now, but fast forward to when you have your kit, are building, and later driving, all of this will fade from memory. Hang in there.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-25-2018 at 07:45 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well "Stillwater"... you and I are in the same boat - er, uh, truck.
    From the sound of it, both of our kits are on that truck. I'm in a similar situation with work travel - I also leave on 6/4, returning 6/6.

I was originally told to anticipate delivery Tues to Fri after the Memorial Day holiday... and also arranged my schedule to be "in town".

I talked to Jolene yesterday, and flat out told her that their driver is going to have to deliver on Sunday, or Weds afternoon/Thursday. I'm going to call her again today and find out what's going on. Maybe if they know that there's TWO time-sensitive deliveries within 1/2 hour of each other they'll get it together.

If this works for you, and depending on your travel schedule...
    If Stewart can't deliver to both of us on Sunday and is doing it 6-6/7/8, I'll offer to accept delivery of your kit at my place. With some careful juggling, I could probably get them both in the 40 Watt Garage. At least your kit would be across town, not the country.

Look for a PM with my contact info!
    Last edited by Fixit; 05-25-2018 at 06:57 AM. Reason: delivery idea
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

It might not seem like it now, but fast forward to when you have your kit, are building, and later driving, all of this will fade from memory. Hang in there.
    X2!

A year from now, this delay will be nothing. Hang in there, you have great days ahead of you!

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stillwater,

Being so far away from Taxachusetts, Stewart was my only option and we had some delays, but nothing like I've been dealing with this past year.

> Take your better-half out to her favorite restaurant.
    > Read the manual a few more times.
    > Get the workshop ready.

When the truck does eventually arrive, all the waiting will be over and you can start your build or you can rent a U-HAUL and do it yourself.
    Good Luck & Don't Sweat The Small Stuff!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-25-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the input. It was almost 50/50 - Chill or Enjoy the Journey. I'm going to enjoy the journey. My dad and I are going to take my F-150 and a 8.5'x20' trailer from Minnesota starting Sunday before dawn. Pick up on Tuesday (ironically with the Stewart truck there) and drive home. I spoke to someone at Factory Five and when I told them I was going to come get it myself, they said: "That's the right choice. This situation has been horrible for our customers."

I get the factory tour, and a fun trip with my dad. And I don't get to give $1 to Stewart.

Thanks for the heads up on Tax. I'll pay the 6.25 now and get it all credited in Minnesota. Our sales tax rate is actually higher here (7.25%).

I know more hiccups are coming but at least Stewart transport isn't one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the trip. How much do you think it's going to set you back in time and money?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater35 View Post
    I'm going to enjoy the journey. My dad and I are going to take my F-150 and a 8.5'x20' trailer from Minnesota starting Sunday before dawn.

....and a fun trip with my dad.
    You can’t put a price on that trip! Memories with your Dad is priceless.
    To be honest, if you had the choice to go with your Dad vs Stewart, there would be no choice.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll let you all know!

Quote Originally Posted by BossRabbit View Post
    Good luck with the trip. How much do you think it's going to set you back in time and money?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also envious of your time with Dad so please post a recap of your trip, including a bunch of photos.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Good choice. Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your Dad. I've been on both ends of trips like these are they're great memories. Oh, and enjoy the factory tour and pickup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe Travels "Stillwater"! It would be cool to see the FFR facility.
    Bend FFR's ear a bit and get some "swag" from them for our inconvenience!

I'll be on the next truck out.

(Stewart is doing what they can - the labor/driver situation is the real problem, not their customer service. Jolene has been great to deal with, and as accommodating as the situation allows. She is really frazzed right now, but alway pleasant on the phone.)
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Drive safe!! Take pics and turn this into a happy thread!!! This part of your build will now be the best memories of the whole thing!! Enjoy a lobster roll and let us know how it goes!!!!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    So jealous! That's the "same day" my kit will be loading up. I think we all understand the frustration and I've chosen to rationalize it by spending their delivery money on more upgrades and gadgets for the car since I've had more time to "save" due to their delay. It's working out well, so far! If I wasn't in flippin' California my kit would already be picked up and I'd have benefited from the tour. For me, it's an insanely upside down investment, but it is disappointing they weren't either more realistic or more honest with their actual ETA.

I think the message to FFR if they're reading this is: "Be careful who choose as vendors. They reflect back upon you."

To this point no one at FFR has warned me about Stewart's delays; BUT... maybe I bought before they occurred? I don't know. It definitely pushed my arrival and build schedule back a bit, but so far I'm still mentally on track, so it's okay!

Please post pics of the tour and let us know how it goes! ENJOY!
    Last edited by TheBabyBadger; 05-30-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on and post up some pics. Some of us who are waiting for our kits were planning to live vicariously though you until ours came. I know TheBabyBadger and I are just sitting around rereading stuff and refreshing pages over and over again like a junky looking for his next fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Come on and post up some pics. Some of us who are waiting for our kits were planning to live vicariously though you until ours came. I know TheBabyBadger and I are just sitting around rereading stuff and refreshing pages over and over again like a junky looking for his next fix.
    Talk about calling some one out... LOL. It's probably a good thing we don't live closer, Clover. Bromance level: EXTREME. Especially without kits... I feel so naked...
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Check out Factory Five on facebook….I saw some pics

Post Thanks / Like
    We just got home late last night. 2821 miles. I will be posting pics tonight.

You can always follow me on instagram @baytownmills where I have some pics too. I got to see their in-flight 'shop truck.' It was fantastic.

All in the cost was about the same as stewart if I value my time at $0 and put no value on the tour, time with my dad and taking control of a situation I previously had no control over.

More deets coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to close out this post. We took something we couldn't control (a shipper) and used our time and $125 to turn the situation in to something we could control.

See the pics and the details on my build thread. - https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post327445

I'm going to assume this post is closed now.