FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: evap canister

Post Thanks / Like

evap canister

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, new to the world of factory five, and am also a car building beginner - but I am excited by the idea of trying to build a mark iv with my sons. I've been researching the whole process as well as what i need to register the car in connecticut and, amongst other things, i need to have an evap canister to register. Do you guys know, is this something that can be fairly easily installed on an engine after i get it? Any tips on evap canisters in general?

Thanks a lot for your advice on this and for your advice in general - i am 100% sure we will need a ton of help and support along the way so thank you very much!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, welcome to the madness . . .

Carbon canisters are nothing more then a "storage tank" for gas fumes evaporated out of the gas tank [vent line] due to heat expansion. When the engine first fires up, a "purge solenoid" opens a port on the canister to vent stored fumes to the engine [vacuum port] for burning.

Factory canisters are readily available for whatever engine you might select for your build.

Carbon canisters are a factory "smog" item. If your state regulatory agency allows it, you might be able to get away with a canister that doesn't "purge" but stores fumes in a carbon filled [home-built] container.

HTH

Doc

For further reading, go here - - > https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/...r-12349939.htm
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 05-26-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used one out of 95 Mustang. If you are going with an OEM fuel injection system the purge will be controlled by the computer. Because my car is carbed I had to rig my own purge solenoid circuit. I rigged the purge line, through a metered orifice, to the intake manifold vacuum port. The purge solenoid is activated by a relay off the brake light circuit. Any time the brakes are on a small amount of air is being drawn through a small air filter, through the evaporation canister and into the intake.

HTH
    Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Doc - I appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Norm. I have to go with a fuel injection system to register the car here in connecticut and you mentioned the FI computer will control the purging. Do you know if that means i need to make sure the fuel injection computer already has built in functionality for an evap canister? Or is it something i could add on afterwards to any fuel injected engine? Thanks a lot for your advice - sorry if that question isn't super clear!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete, all OEM fuel injection computers will have a purge control circuit. I am no expert on after market (ie Fitech) and will leave that answer to the right people.

Building these cars to meet the ever changing rules is becoming more of a challenge. The province I live in is still not too bad but, I built my car to try and match the requirements in the province we plan to retire in. Those rules are getting more restrictive and FI and cats will be required to register there along with multiple changes to things like lights and seat belts.

Good Luck

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Norm! That's good to hear that all OEM FI will have a purge control circuit. Yeah, it does sound like this is getting tougher... Certainly takes some more work. But hopefully all worth it!
    Thanks, again.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    An easy solution in Connecticut is to use a pre-1971 block. They are hard to find but make it easier for registration and would look period correct the car. There is no purge valve control setting or wiring using a Fitech that I can find. I suppose you could use the fan control to trigger an event. The Ct requirements will require you to have all pollution control devices for whatever year block you use. That could include air pumps, Egr valves, and catalytic converters. My 68 block needs a PCV valve...
    Last edited by brewha; 05-27-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Brewha. Yeah, getting an old engine would go a long way towards solving this issue. If i could find one that old, i'm not so sure i'd have the skills to get it running... Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete,

See i told you these guys would get you going in the right direction!

Johnny- BPE
    Last edited by BluePrintEngines; 05-30-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! Yup - thanks, Johnny!