Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carb engine issue

Post Thanks / Like

Carb engine issue

So the car has sat for some time. I had the body off of it. Drove the car around w just headers and it runs great. Put everything back together, and drive the car, and it drives like ****. It bucks really hard in first and second gear, and you have to be real gentle with the gas, it it goes violently into a bucking. Which really the only way to stop it is to stop the car and start all over again. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, what is the setup? Secondly, you said the car has sat around for some time? How long is that? If it has sat for some time, could be a fuel or carb issue. Might just need some fresh fuel, clean up your carburetor and get some fresh plugs in there. Did you check the timing?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a quick fuel carb on a 351w stroked to 427. The car sat for 5 months. The car runs fine, when the side pipes are off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love QF carbs! If you put your hand behind the pipes (while cool of course) do you feel them expelling the gases? Would have to have some kind of blockage to cause stalling if it is indeed related to your side pipes. Try testing one at a time and see what you come up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no blockage... I had to use a jack to be able to get both bolts into the side hangers. Could my pipes be hanging to stiff and not allowing movement cause an issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hanging too stiff? I’m not sure what you mean by that. If they bolt up correctly, the rest shouldn’t matter. I’d still test one, take it off and test the other and see what you come up with. Might want to check the header bolts as well. Maybe something is distorting with weight on then?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see how pipe or no pipes could affect the engine unless, one of them is super clogged up. Mouse house built during that 5 months they were stored?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not clogged... I tested each one today. I am starting to lean towards the mechanical fuel pump. The car isn't starting correctly now....

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1. If the car sat for an extended period of time, with out having the bowls drained, you likely
    ....have varnish build up in the jets, power valves and maybe the needle and seats.

2. If the fuel was ethanol enhanced and the fuel sat in the carburetor for an extended period
    ....of time then you likely have varnish and oxidation to deal with.

3. Have you pulled the bowls yet to see what things look like in those suckers?

4. How long did the car sit?
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-27-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    It is not clogged... I tested each one today. I am starting to lean towards the mechanical fuel pump. The car isn't starting correctly now....
    Just disconnect the fuel line going to the carb and slip a plastic bag with rubber band over the end and then turn over the engine. If fuel spurts out, then I'd be looking at the carb. If no fuel or just a dribble, you can point at the fuel pump or a blockage in the fuel line somewhere. Mechanical fuel pumps don't fail that often, but its possible for a diaphragm to leak. Not a good scenario if that is happening, but cheap to replace. However, I'm betting on the carb...

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar issue when my car sat over the winter a year ago. I thought it was the fuel pump as well. Turned out to be crap in the fuel line. I pushed some compressed air through the line and it eventually cleared up. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    The car ran fine 1.5 weeks ago. I started it up and drive it around the neighborhood for a while... The carb was actually off the car during the winter. I sent it in to have it tested...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok more update. I started the car today and it runs fine at idle. I let it run for 5 min to warm up. Took it for a ride and it died .5 miles from the house. I could not get it started again. As I was waiting for the tow truck, 35 min waiting. I tried one last time and it cranked up. I got the car home. I am at a loss. Either timing or fuel delivery?

When I could not get the car started again initially, the fuel levels were good on the site glass. And I could pump fuel into the carb just fine w the butterfly.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like the ethanol gasoline sat long enough to pull water into the tank. If you have an electric pump, I would pump it dry and put in a fresh batch, with a shot of Stabil or Sea Foam. The Sea Foam will probably do more to address any residual water. I use the Stabil to prevent the water issue.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought, but check and see if you have spark.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Doug the last issue sounds like an ignition issue

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you have checked your fuel filter. When I bought mine, the owner at the hot rod shop said to take it apart and remove the little check valve. He had the same one and the ethanol gas turned it to goo and then wouldn’t run right. He took it out and problem solved.