BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Third tail light wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Third tail light wiring

I want to lay in wires for a future third brake light, which will be positioned either on the roll bars or on the body between them. How have people tied the third brake light into the Ron Francis harness?

I thought to tie the power wire into the purple brake light wire so all come on at the same time. I expected to find the two side brake light wires come together in the harness (as the schematic shows a single wire), but they appear to stay separate all the way to the front. Maybe I don't understand how the lights are powered yet.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the right wire to use. Yes, there are two purple wires in the rear harness. But they go to a common pin at the rear harness connector. Either one does the same thing, which is +12V when the brake light switch is closed and connected to the orange BRK SW FD wire from the fuse panel.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect - many thanks, Paul. I hope one day to shake your hand and buy you a beer for all the help you've provided me in your build threads and responding to questions. Maybe a cross-country 'Thanks, everybody!' tour.

I'll probably cut the two purples near the roll bars, tie them together, then splice the two purple legs going to the tail lights plus a new leg for the third brake light. So two wires coming from the front to the splice, then three conductors from there. Probably overkill, but having the third light's current shared between both front conductors means no chance of one taillight being dimmer than the other.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.