FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 97 DOHC question

Post Thanks / Like

97 DOHC question

On my maiden voyage I noticed a small leak coming out of the area circled on the picture. This is obviously not a new engine. When I received it I had the tube powder coated black and replaced it with a new gasket. The leak is small but noticeable. Does anyone know if I can use some type of permatex gasket maker to seal it? B5F67B28-1A28-4F09-8CCA-FD374E5828A9.jpeg

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an O-ring on each end of that cross over pipe. There is also an O-ring inside of the slip joint.
    You will probably need a new o-ring. The key to not pinching the o-ring is getting the width of the pipe right before pressing into the engine. I pinched mine also, the first time. The slip joint is too tight to adjust itself when you press it in. Use a lot of lube, your choice. Liquid soap works good.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Craig,

I have the same engine. There are o rings on both legs on this crossover tube. I assume you replaced those? Did you lubricate them a bit before installing? One may have been damaged. There are also bolt down brackets on both legs. You might try tightening these a bit. Failing this, I would remove it and find the problem. It is not hard to do.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I did replace the O rings but don’t remeber if I used lube. If I need new O rings where would I get them? I remember having a hard time finding them.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi.
    I have the same engine and the same name. Ha.
    I just replaced the o-rings a few weeks ago. Found them on ebay. Set of three. Each down-leg and the center slip joint.
    I lubricated them with a light grease before installation. Don't do it dry. Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting....just found this on the other forum:

Use coolant as recommended in the manual. They might leak even with a good install for the first run. I've had a leak first run about half the time but it has always cleared up while I burp the system. Good luck.

NOTE: Wipe the O-ring sealing surface on the cylinder heads with a soft cloth, if necessary and lubricate the O-ring seal. Use premium engine coolant.

The wording is better for the water pump install reference using coolant as a lube.

CAUTION: Do not rotate the coolant pump housing once installed in the engine. Damage to the O-ring seal can occur, causing the coolant pump to leak. NOTE: Install a new O-ring seal and lubricate with the same clean engine coolant that is present in the system. Do not mix coolant types. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone.