Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Road Runner"/Coyote Intake Selection....?

Post Thanks / Like

"Road Runner"/Coyote Intake Selection....?

Hey guys!

So I have basically an entire garage ready to start the build. Everything is here. Car loads up next Mon/Tues so I should be drooling on it by late June.

I see there's 2 intake kits, basically. I don't like the Spectre AT ALL. Does anyone else have a suggestion? A pic to follow the suggestion? I just want something clean and easy. Also, I keep hearing the Coyote and BOSS engine especially are sensitive to having a 4" intake tube... but FFR also recommends a 3.5... so I'm looking for some clarity.

Forewarning: The spectre looks horrible to me.. just seems hoaky (the MAF set up part). Anyone who has something else that has worked and looks clean I would love to hear about it and see it. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here... just clean and problem free!

Thanks!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2022 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Multiple comments/responses:

- Factory Five has been recommending the Spectre 4-inch setup from the beginning of their Coyote support since 2011-2012. Most stock builds, including mine, have used it successfully.

- The Treadstone Performance addition to their instructions is a late add. I haven't seen it on a single build. Either in person or in the forums. So don't know anything about it. I agree. The 3.5-inch size is not optimal according to my sources either, so it is a bit confusing.

- Not sure what you think is hokey about the Spectre MAF setup. Looks the same as 99% of the other aftermarket intakes I've seen. You do know the actual sensor comes from the Ford control pack? That's the black part seen in all the pictures. It can only be mounted one direction and the cable connection is also from the control pack. The Spectre part is just a short rectangular mounting plate. Same as most others.

- Every single Gen 3 Coupe build I've seen has the intake come off the throttle body and immediately turn directly down. Not sideways like on the Roadster. So mainly only the right angle tube out of the intake is visible. The rest is essentially buried. There might be other options for that, but I'd be careful. That length and transition between the MAF and the throttle body is critical and this setup has been proven to work.

- My Anniversary Roadster has had a lot of people look at it. I wouldn't hazard a guess how many. Detroit Autorama, Factory Five open house, London Cobra Show, multiple other shows and cruise-ins, etc. People are typically very surprised to see the Coyote in there and I've gotten tons of very positive comments. Absolutely zero comments like "That's the worst looking cold air intake I've ever seen." In fact, I don't remember anyone ever commenting about it.

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Do what you want, of course. But not sure you're going to get a lot of other experiences here. And at least in my opinion, this isn't something that needs reinventing. Especially in the Coupe for the reasons I mentioned.

Good luck with your delivery BTW. Exciting times ahead.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-29-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Absolutely zero comments like "That's the worst looking cold air intake I've ever seen." In fact, I don't remember anyone ever commenting about it.

Good luck with your delivery BTW. Exciting times ahead.
    Paul-

You crack me up, man! If I had been drinking milk during that line it would have come out of my nose without a doubt. Now I have to explain to my employees why I'm laughing for no reason. Regrading the Spectre, I guess I just didn't like the way it looks layered together. Seems haphazard. But if passed YOUR QC FOUR TIMES... it must be decent.

I also appreciate you clarifying the MAF items, but yes I do understand their composition. I am not running a control pack, I had the ECU custom tuned, PATS and emissions disabled, and am running a harness from HotWireAuto.com that is exactly the way I want it (and way cheaper than the control pack, which isn't currently available anyway!).

I think the most confusion was the 4" intake tubing... and then the Treadstone 3.5" tube recommendation. It definitely "looks" cleaner. I'll go ahead with the Spectre. Thanks for the courteous and practical input. I appreciate you, sir.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2022 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    Paul-

You crack me up, man! If I had been drinking milk during that line it would have come out of my nose without a doubt. Now I have to explain to my employees why I'm laughing for no reason. Regrading the Spectre, I guess I just didn't like the way it looks layered together. Seems haphazard. But if passed YOUR QC FOUR TIMES... it must be decent.

I also appreciate you clarifying the MAF items, but yes I do understand their composition. I am not running a control pack, I had the ECU custom tuned, PATS and emissions disabled, and am running a harness from HotWireAuto.com that is exactly the way I want it (and way cheaper than the control pack, which isn't currently available anyway!).

I think the most confusion was the 4" intake tubing... and then the Treadstone 3.5" tube recommendation. It definitely "looks" cleaner. I'll go ahead with the Spectre. Thanks for the courteous and practical input. I appreciate you, sir.
    Glad I made your day. Wasn't trying to. Just making a point in my (probably too sarcastic....) way. The Anniversary Roadster was my first Coyote. The Coupe will be the second. Previous builds were carb'd SBF's. Ford control pack or not, pretty sure you're going to have a sensor on the cold air intake. BTW, asked my Ford contact yesterday when I was asking about the Gen 3 Coyote what was happening with Gen 2 control packs. He said it was a parts issue that was affecting all their control packs. Not just the Coyote. Also said the problem was resolved and they will soon be caught up.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    Hey guys!

So I have basically an entire garage ready to start the build. Everything is here. Car loads up next Mon/Tues so I should be drooling on it by late June.

I see there's 2 intake kits, basically. I don't like the Spectre AT ALL. Does anyone else have a suggestion? A pic to follow the suggestion? I just want something clean and easy. Also, I keep hearing the Coyote and BOSS engine especially are sensitive to having a 4" intake tube... but FFR also recommends a 3.5... so I'm looking for some clarity.

Forewarning: The spectre looks horrible to me.. just seems hoaky (the MAF set up part). Anyone who has something else that has worked and looks clean I would love to hear about it and see it. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here... just clean and problem free!

Thanks!
    I've been running the Spectre set up since 2012. For me, I followed the proven engineering from FFR. If its good enough for Dave Smith, It's good enough for me too. I know what you mean about the look. My only negative take on the set up was the use of rubber couplers and gear clamps to hold it all together. You may want to consider having someone weld the pieces together and give it a buff and polish. You would still have a coupling and gear clamps at the throttle body and the filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you like torturing your wallet there is always this.

Post Thanks / Like
    That Borla piece really is beautiful, but the price it just out of touch to me. You can get a supercharger kit for around the same money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the 4” Intake isn’t there still the reducer installed inside the tube that effectively makes it 3.5”? There is in mine.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Regarding the 4” Intake isn’t there still the reducer installed inside the tube that effectively makes it 3.5”? There is in mine.
    Good point. Forgot about that. It's been a couple years. It's in the same tube as the MAF sensor. Ends up the same ID in that area as the stock cold air intake as I recall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    This reducer aims at keeping the same MAF calibration. Since recalibrating the MAF for any new intake is the standard procedure, I had the car tune without the reducer.

There’s no rational to go 3.75" at the MAF, 4" tube and then back to 3.75" TB.

It works flawlessly at full bore.

Post Thanks / Like
    A Corvette intake would be great!

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...model/corvette

I calculated that the radiator would need to be lowered by 1 inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    A Corvette intake would be great!

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...model/corvette

I calculated that the radiator would need to be lowered by 1 inch.

You calculated it based off a stock intake mani or the boss? I think it sits higher might be a good fit then...?

I have talked with Lund racing about tuning my coyote (I am doing a cobra jet manifold) and they were very specific about knowing what intake you are using. As well as where the MAF is located.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw84 View Post
    You calculated it based off a stock intake mani or the boss? I think it sits higher might be a good fit then...?

I have talked with Lund racing about tuning my coyote (I am doing a cobra jet manifold) and they were very specific about knowing what intake you are using. As well as where the MAF is located.
    Stock manifold. It will need a pn additional tube between the TB and the pancake tube. I was worried with the space between the hood and the radiator.

I think this one has the right slot type MAF:
    https://static.summitracing.com/glob....jpg?rep=False

I'm NOT saying it fits. I'm just saying that would be nice to have the intake going over the rad with the filter in front of the rad.

Post Thanks / Like
    With my coupe R coyote twinturbo build - engine compartment space will be at premium. Gordon and I have discussed pulling in cold air intake/s from the fog lamp cut outs either side of the radiator inlet opening. Have a lot of work to do here to get it all to fit. Most likely going loose the hinged hood opening ability and just make it two man lift off install.

If you want true cold air intake - there’s always going to be some plus and minuses. Pick what works for you and looks appealing to your eyes. You can’t please everyone but you certainly can please yourself.