Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Another set of eyes, please

Post Thanks / Like

Another set of eyes, please

Today's topic is Coyote cooling. It even sounds good, doesn't it?

I've asked a couple of you off-line for input, and now I'm asking for opinions on placement. I'm checking the placement of my radiator expansion tank, both vertically and horizontally, side-to-side. Wareaglescott cautioned me on allowing room for the hood hinge; Edwardb commented on vertical placement. Please take a look at these photos:

First,

Here, we can see that the top of the reservoir is pretty much level with the forward frame rail. That should be sufficient to clear the hood, yes??? It also shows, from a distance, so to speak, the side-to-side position relative to the hood hinge. Good?

Next,

a closeup of the tank and the hood hinge. Please keep in mind that I moved the hinge as far "out" as possible. What do you think? Enough clearance?

Finally,

An overhead view of the gap between the air intake elbow and the tank. Enough space, or do I need to move something?

I look forward to your input. Once I get everything in the correct spot, I can finish fabricating my mounting brackets. Thanks, guys!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I initially used the cylindrical expansion tank supplied in the complete kit from FFR and mounted it in the suggested position in the manual. Unfortunately, it wasn't a large enough volume and would O/F . After the first season, I changed the tank to a larger cylindrical tank from Jegs or Summit and mounted it in the same location.

The unit you have should work fine in the noted location. The height of the filler cap my interfere with the underside of the hood. have a check to be sure. The final hinge location won't be known until the body is on and the hood is gapped and fitted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought...the mounting holes are circular, if you modified to be oblong you can add a little play left/right or forward/backward depending on your need.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the location looks OK. Side-to-side, it looks like about the same position as mine. My hood hinges were not close to the maximum adjustment, so didn't end up that close. So you should be OK there. Mine doesn't get that close to the cold air intake. Maybe yours is mounted back a little compared to mine because of the different way you're attaching at the flange? For height, as long as the top of the tank itself is at or slightly above the 3/4-inch hood surround tubes, the cap will clear the underside of the hood as I mentioned in my PM. But don't mount it any further toward the side than you're showing. The hood clearance is less the closer you get to the side due to the hood arch. Another thing to check before finalizing the location is the upper radiator hose. With the hose in place and angled out of the radiator, the bottom front corner of the tank is pretty close to the hose. At least it is on mine. Make sure you have OK clearance there. Here's a another picture of mine just taken showing the location probably a little better than the pics in my build thread.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Gentlemen!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount