Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ride height

Post Thanks / Like

Ride height

I have read a bunch of threads and most people say ride height should be 4 inches in front and 4.5 inches in the back. The manual says front 4.25-4.5 and rear 4.75-5 inches depending on if there are one or two people in the car. Which is correct? Does the 4 front 4.5 rear take into account someone in the car and the F5 specs assume no one in the car.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't overthink it. It would be fine in the ranges you mention, or maybe even a bit lower. Depends on the look you want, etc. As long as it's aligned at the ride height you set, the suspension is flexible enough to handle it. Personally, I have mine set at just over 4 inches in the back and a little under 4 in the front. Empty. Gives a little bit of rake and works out fine with either one or two people on board. Note also a new build will settle some. So maybe start a bit higher than you're planning to be at, and monitor it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, what he said!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much what they said. I don't do much rake (0 - 1/4"), for better rear traction at autocross. The suspension will settle a fair bit when new, so go high to start with (~1/2"). What I found out while chasing a vibration, was that even on a broken in car, it can still take 50+ miles for it to settle back in all the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does altering the height change the alignment? I’ve been built a few months and now the car has settled and i’m thinking of lowering down to the recommended ride height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small changes in height do not effect the alignment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a comment. I have wheel well liners from Alex. I had to raise the ride height to the tires didn't hit the liners. If they do, you have a burning rubber smell!! I have 4-1/2 inches in the front and 5-1/2 inches in the rear with 17-inch wheels. I will need to do a realignment because I did increase the ride height by about 1/2 inch in the front and 1 inch in the rear. The toe out in the front is pretty obvious.