Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mesh Body Trim Installation Not in Manual

Post Thanks / Like

Mesh Body Trim Installation Not in Manual

I understand there has been a running change in the stamped mesh trim pieces for the hood and trunk lid pieces. They no longer come with the aluminum trim pieces, as shown in the assembly manual, that help cover any mistakes made in cutting the holes. My question is how is everyone mounting these now and what are they using to clean up the cut lines?
    My kit is #506, so unsure when this change took place.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR told me there was a running change with the mesh for the hood and rear deck lid. Since they are stamped they no longer provide the trim surround. I had never noticed that they weren't on my packing list until I began the installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the aluminum trim rings that I didn't use on my build. I think I know where they are and will part with them if interested PM me

Post Thanks / Like
    I used my own custom louvers for the trunk and the hood. I was never a big fan of the trim as it looked tacked on IMO.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Redbudrr, my 818 is a very early kit that came with the aluminum trim pieces, but I didn't like the "heavy" look so I put black edge guard on the cut edges, then attached the metal screening to the back of the opening with a bead of silicone sealer. First, I got the plastic edge guard on Amazon in a long roll because the auto stores only had short strips for the edge of a car door. Don't get the cheapest on Amazon because it is folded and twisted. The more expensive edge guard has glue inside that is melted with heat, then stays on the edge of the opening. Second, lay a bead of silicone sealant around the back edge of the opening, press the screen into it, then secure with paint sticks across the top of the opening and wire or zip-ties through the screen until sealant is set.

In this photo, I tried the hex screen vs the FFR screen, then decided on hex, but it shows the black edge guard.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, that is what I was hoping someone would bring forward. Great idea and looks good too. Appreciate the photos.