Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help and any advice for state of PA

Post Thanks / Like

Help and any advice for state of PA

Hello gang,

Brand new member to the forum but a follower of Factory Five for about 10 years. I'm finally in a position to making my ownership of an M4 Roadster a reality. Trying to line everything up which includes ordering what is appropriate to successfully register and inspect the Roadster in the state of Pennsylvania. I understand I need a "specialty vehicle" registration and inspection. I've located a local shop that can perform such inspection and they had two questions that I'm not sure of. The first was about the exhaust and side pipes. Are they legal in PA???? Second was concerning the bumpers. I personally prefer not to have the full bumpers however the shop is telling me they would be required if the original car had them.

I know I need a 7 inch windshield, at least one side mirror, windshield wipers, a third back brake light, etc. but if anyone can provide their knowledge or experiences registering in PA I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Looking forward to any feedback.

Thank you,

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dan -

What part of PA are you from? I only ask because luckily for you, the state of PA is pretty straight forward when it comes to titling/registering your roadster. What does matter is where you have the inspection done and his/her relationship with the DMV. I only mention that because if an inspectors stuff gets rejected often or historically, has issues, your inspector will get extra scrutiny on the paperwork he/she submits.

Everything out of the box that factory five offers in their kit is permitted in PA. With a couple of caveats (based on who is interpreting the regs).

what I was required to have on my car:

1. Self cancelling turn signals. Albeit not an option from FFR, Russ Thompson (vender here) can set you up.
    2. Heat shields on the side pipes.
    3. Windshield wiper/on switched power. There is a thread goin on right now which depicts the wipers I am talking about. And I only needed one.

post #85
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...824#post327824

You will be titling your car as "specialty constructed" and will need to have it insured before you take it. Not in every case, but for me, it took 3-4 weeks from day of inspection to receiving my temporary tag.

There is some paperwork you will need but your inspection station folks should guide you through what's needed there.

regards,

RickP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information Rick. I'll check out the turn signal package you referenced from Russ Thompson. I still need to seek out insurance so thanks too for the heads up there as well. Very much appreciated. I'm located in the Southhills area of Pittsburgh. Hoping to head to FFR for a tour in mid July.

Thanks again,

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Midwest classic insurance, a vender on this forum is who I use. Well within reason and they know our cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,

I'm also in the south hills; feel free to get in touch (jcm250b at juno dot com) if there is any way I might be able to help. I've been building a coupe for an embarrassingly long time, and have visited the factory twice, so I might be able to share a few helpful pieces of information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jacob,

I'll send you an email and I'd love to get in touch with you and see your project. My email is skiandwind at Verizon dot net.

Hopefully we can connect.

Take care,

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Roger