Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How Far Gone is TOO Far Gone?

Post Thanks / Like

How Far Gone is TOO Far Gone?

I came across a 1967 Mustang Coupe that is completely disassembled. (Technically I would prefer a Fastback, but they are wicked expensive if you can find them at all, which I have not.) The body is on a Rotisserie, which comes with the car. (Kind of a nice perk, but it needs sand blasting and painting!) It seems to have all the major components, engine, tranny, rear end, all the major body panels and a jillion little pieces. (The hood is the wrong year.) Parts clearly are not from the same car, numbers matching is quite out of the question!! It appears to be in pretty rough shape. Some of the parts, like brakes, front suspension, etc, I would be replacing anyway, so no big deal. The engine and tranny have been inside, but the rear end is outside. Everything would have to be rebuilt. Even though it is Arizona, there is a lot of rust there. This thing would be a major project just to get it out of it's current resting places. (Currently it is in two garages and the big stuff outside, all of it buried under piles of other unknown junk. Current owner is either dead or has too many medical issues to have anything to do with the project. Family is motivated to "get it out of here!" It comes with a "Resto/Salvage" title. Owner is asking $4500 and I get to figure out how to haul it all away. It is 200 miles away, a 400 mile round trip, and even with my truck and trailer, I am not sure I can get it all in one load. I can't see offering much over $2000 if I have to dig it all out and haul it away. When is a project just too far gone to be viable? What do you think? Is this one still salvagable, and should it be?

Last edited by Jazzman; 06-04-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like

Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think your price is closer to actual value. Not a fastback, not a GT, not a convertible, not a big block, not a 4 speed, but a lot of work.
    Last edited by Railroad; 06-04-2018 at 07:19 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Next.

Offer 500 for the motor. Everything else is being reclaimed by the earth. Too long in the sun.

Besides. What YOU really WANT is a fastback. So why are you considering a coupe?

IMO

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 06-04-2018 at 07:24 PM.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Next.

Offer 500 for the motor. Everything else is being reclaimed by the earth. Too long in the sun.

Besides. What YOU really WANT is a fastback.

IMO

You are not wrong. I was blinded by the inclusion of the rotisserie, a tool I would never pay for but would love to have. I think you are right. Get what I really want, or I might end up hating this one! I think I'll pass on the motor too. There have to be motors in this big city that I don't have to drive 400 miles and dig it out of the back corner of a garage!! Thanks!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like most of that will buff out...

FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get it for $2500 with the rotisserie and turn it into a pro touring car or vintage TA car. You can buy everything you need for the car. I have several here.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see any significant value there and share Hodgkins' assesment. Something to consider or look into is that when the project is all done a salvage or rebuilt title can make insuring the vehicle difficult.

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pass Sir Jazzman,

This car is Stone Soup for sure.
    Look for a nicer starting point if that is a car you love.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    It really isn't as bad as you think. There are many parts that are worthwhile. I see disc brake front suspension, possible 9" diff. Most of what I see is surface rust. I have dealt with much worse. Pulled a Bud Moore TA car out of a river and another with a tree growing up through the middle. Mustangs are easy, wouldn't be a candidate for an original resto but a pro touring car would be killer.
    Classic Industries bought California Mustang and them along with Scott Drake and CJ pony parts you get pretty much another you want for it. I can help with the aftermarket.
    You may want to stop by and see the Vintage 68 coupe Trans Am car we are restoring or the 70 Convertible pro touring car we are doing.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what would it cost to restore? $40K, $60K, more? Of course that depends how far you want to take it and how much you can do yourself. But it sounds like you've been looking for an early Mustang so you probably are not thinking of minimal investment and a quick flip. That's a lot of $$ even at half the cost of this sack of bones and at the end of the day you still don't have the fastback version you're looking for. So unless you can turn this into a fastback maybe you should wait for Barrett-Jackson. You may not find a fastback in your price range but might just find a coupe already restored for what it may cost you to make this one sweet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the offer Gordon. I may have to take a short trip down to see you!

I fear that there are just too many question marks on this one. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the input! It is appreciated as always.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    While I love Gordon's optimism. I looked and looked for almost 7 years to find a "mostly" rust free car for my Eleanor project. Bought as a complete car so I had everything there. This way I have all of the parts for a reference. I'll use what I need and discard those things I don't need. The "little' things are going to nickle and dime you to death. If you're going to build from that point, maybe start with a body shell from Dynacorn or something like that. I'd pass on this one.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin,

Pass on this one. The rotisserie would be nice, but making anything of value out of that bunch of parts looks like WAY too much work. All that being said, those Mustangs are 50 years old and were never intended to last that long. The guy looking at buying my 1967 Fastback is hemming and hawing because the floor on the passenger side needs to be replaced, and he doesn't like the "dings" in the frame rails from being jacked up improperly. Beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder, but when I see rusted out hulks of Fastbacks selling on eBay in excess of 15K, I start to wonder. Mine's complete, runs, has plates and registration, and a Marti report. I suppose one has to balance out the potential value of a totally restored car (around 85K) with the work and money needed to get a car into that condition. I know mine is out of your price range, but I wish you luck finding one. Unless you're hung up on the "rare" ones, look for a '68; Ford increased production in 1968 and they are more plentiful than '67's, which were low production. Also, the '68's came from the factory with torque boxes on both sides, unlike the 1967 which only has one on the driver's side (translated, you can put a higher horsepower engine in a later one without doing a lot of modification). Last, but not least, part of the reason the prices are high is Shelby: they are buying up every hunk of junk Fastback they can find (even 6 cylinder cars) to turn into Elanor clones.

Video

Post Thanks / Like
    One last word from me Kevin...rust repair sucks (OK, that was 3 words). Ugly, filthy and 99% of the time a Pandora's Box. There's a good reason that I specialize in glass cars! I really encourage you to search for a project that somebody started, made structurally sound and had to abandon for some reason. It'll take a while to find but in the end you will be time and money ahead. Once you have a solid shell the mechanical part is easy.

Cheers,
    Jeff

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We call that "patina" in upstate NY.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    One last word from me Kevin...rust repair sucks (OK, that was 3 words). Ugly, filthy and 99% of the time a Pandora's Box. There's a good reason that I specialize in glass cars! I really encourage you to search for a project that somebody started, made structurally sound and had to abandon for some reason. It'll take a while to find but in the end you will be time and money ahead. Once you have a solid shell the mechanical part is easy.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Yes, I wondered about that. I had already planned to have the entire thing media blasted to get all the rust off, but still there would be repair, etc. My original thought had been to buy a Dynacorn body shell and start from there. However, many have commented that at the end of the project you spend far more than the car is worth (what else is new!!) and you don't even have a "original mustang". Maybe If I decide to do a mustang, I will go back to the original idea and buy a Dynacorn body. It's the body style I want anyway. Time will tell.

I am going to pass on this one. Thank you all for your counsel. You just saved me a lot of effort, a lot of money, and a lot of stress on my marriage!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a reminder on why I wanted to build a new car with new parts last night. I am returning my other toy vehicle to stock in order to sale it and was changing a piece on the exhaust last night. Sure enough, I broke off the first two bolts when trying to remove the nuts. At that point, I decided the car gods were telling me "NOT TONIGHT!" and I spayed it all with PB blaster and put my tools away for the night while continuing to use choice words.

To sum that up. I worked on an old car last night and accomplished nothing other then braking two bolts and putting myself in a bad mood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to talk you into anything but there is a guy in Chandler that turns coupes like that into fastbacks for the very reasons you are talking about. I'm sure it's not cheap and I'm sure you would still be upside down in the deal when completed but it's an option if that is the body style you want. Let me know if you want more info. BTW Kevin, I left you a vm yesterday regarding the overflow tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well look at it this way, it could be worse, at least it's not Project Binky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHv...B7NyU5tIiEZHBg
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Well look at it this way, it could be worse, at least it's not Project Binky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHv...B7NyU5tIiEZHBg
    Ok, that made my day!! Thank you. That is hilarious, and I have only watched the first episode. I have got to get back to work!! WARNING: Don't get started watching Project Binky unless you have plenty of time!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, you are clearly suffering from PBOCD, post-build over-confidence disease. I am a PBOCD survivor, so I know what you are going through. I got the disease after I put about 1,000 miles on my Mk3 and realized that I could build anything that involved mechanical, electrical, drilling/riveting, bodywork and polishing. My plans were endless as I considered building my own Veyron, a space shuttle, or nuclear submarine. "What's to stop me?", I asked . . . until the dope-slap from my wife.

I remember reading somewhere, "I am not really a "gear head". I am a Financial Planner by trade, a carpenter by choice, and a musician at heart." From that humble start, you've built an over-the-top Best-of-Show Roadster so your case of PBOCD is more severe than others. My advice is to regain control before a dope-slap!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen far worse restored to Barrett Jackson quality. But if you are ready for the love affair, be sure its exactly what you want. Close only applies to horse shoes and hand grenades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, I have PBOCD and I'm not even half way through my first build.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Kevin, you are clearly suffering from PBOCD, post-build over-confidence disease. I am a PBOCD survivor, so I know what you are going through. I got the disease after I put about 1,000 miles on my Mk3 and realized that I could build anything that involved mechanical, electrical, drilling/riveting, bodywork and polishing. My plans were endless as I considered building my own Veyron, a space shuttle, or nuclear submarine. "What's to stop me?", I asked . . . until the dope-slap from my wife.

I remember reading somewhere, "I am not really a "gear head". I am a Financial Planner by trade, a carpenter by choice, and a musician at heart." From that humble start, you've built an over-the-top Best-of-Show Roadster so your case of PBOCD is more severe than others. My advice is to regain control before a dope-slap!
    You, my friend, have a wonderful gift for words and story-telling. May your muse never leave your side.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kevin,

Might this be a better options and/or starting point?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Ford-M...FbDwK6&vxp=mtr

It's out West so it would be a doable trip from your neck of the woods, or dare I say Desert?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I went down this road with a 69 Camaro. loved it. and hated it. mine was at least drive-able when I got it. but what a pain and $$$ chasing all the missing clips, trim, bushings, window regulators, glass did not get it close to my vision and had to bail at least I came close to break even. If I was to do it over I'd start with a new reproduced shell and buy as complete and assembled donor as I could find and then plan to transfer every thing to it.
    one thing to remember the "complete kit" is just that your paying for all the parts to show up in boxes. imaging chasing every switch, bolt, part... and then shipping it. Remember your not going to be able to walk down to the local auto recycle yard and pick your parts.
    you had better be starting with the foundation that is going to be Exactly what you want. if its a fast back then that is where you need to start.

Just my 2,
    Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    "Too far gone" is a very subjective thing and really depends on the car. In the Mustang world, a Shelby is rarely, if ever, too far gone to resurrect and early fastbacks are sort of in the same realm.

I spent a few years building an outstanding '65 Mustang coupe into what I referred to as a "day two" example of a privateer Trans Am racer. It was all the car, but I really wanted a fastback when i bought the coupe, but bent to Mrs. Gumball's will and went with the coupe. It was a one-owner Arizona car (built at the San Jose, CA plant) that had absolutely zero rust. As you may expect, I sold it within a year of finishing it and, as a friend often reminds me, I'd still own it if it'd been a fastback.

I love the comment about PBOCD, as within a couple of weeks of finishing 7074 (and even before it was inspected by the state and licensed), I dragged my next (and current) project out of the woods.... literally. It's a '65 fastback that sat in the same place on a local farm for 35 years and we really had to cut down the woods that had grown around it in order to pull it out.

Here some pics - two of the coupe and two of the fastback (before and current... post body reconstruction)........

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)