FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just Ready to Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just Ready to Drive

I have been enjoying the build and have learned a lot. But since I put the body on I have really been eager to have the car complete and on the road. It doesn’t help when you pull up to a stop light and are look down at the guy adjusting his radio and placing his fingers on the paddle shifter in preparation for the green light. Who by the way is in an orange Lamborghini Murcielago.

I just wondered if I was the only one that felt this way. I don’t know if it will speed up the build, but I’m still eager.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. I am doing bodywork and I am in a similar frame of mind right now. I am contemplating a two week vacation from work to work on the car. Weekends just are not cutting it...plus I am thinking about working on it all day while I am at work anyway. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally feel your sentiment. The planning/build process is fun and all, but I think driving it will be more fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    I have been enjoying the build and have learned a lot. But since I put the body on I have really been eager to have the car complete and on the road. It doesn’t help when you pull up to a stop light and are look down at the guy adjusting his radio and placing his fingers on the paddle shifter in preparation for the green light. Who by the way is in an orange Lamborghini Murcielago.

I just wondered if I was the only one that felt this way. I don’t know if it will speed up the build, but I’m still eager.
    I feel that way, and the body isn't on!
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell you the truth, that feeling with the Lambo is EXACTLY why I make myself drive an SUV to and from work. I know what I got back in the shop, and if I was driving it and pulled up to a guy in a Ferrari or Lambo the temptation may be too great to give it a go with the guy, so it's best for both of us if I let him show his off on the street and I show mine off on the race track.

Not trying to discourage others from getting their cars on the road, just making the point that I am a racer, and I know what my mindset is, so I also know, FOR ME, it is best that I don't drive around town in a car like a GTM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    In my build I enjoyed the 'getting to go kart' phase the most. Once I got it back from Ken with the body on and just interior and other fine tuning needed, I went into 'all business' mode and just wanted to get it on the road. Now I really enjoy and take satisfaction in going back to the build and modifying, adding, and fixing stuff. So many take forever adding stuff over and over, delaying their build; my mindset was to get my 'first version' on the road so I could enjoy driving AND enjoy working on it and adding the extra stuff I wanted to do at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    In my build I enjoyed the 'getting to go kart' phase the most. Once I got it back from Ken with the body on and just interior and other fine tuning needed, I went into 'all business' mode and just wanted to get it on the road. Now I really enjoy and take satisfaction in going back to the build and modifying, adding, and fixing stuff. So many take forever adding stuff over and over, delaying their build; my mindset was to get my 'first version' on the road so I could enjoy driving AND enjoy working on it and adding the extra stuff I wanted to do at the same time.
    That is the concept I wanted in theory...LOL But I keep biting off more. Not entirely my fault though. People <<cough, cough>> keep finding great deals on cool stuff like traction control!

Post Thanks / Like
    My build “patience” crashed and burned the moment I trial fit my Camaro race wheels and tires on the GTM, just for kicks…bad move. You guys are light years ahead of me and I can’t wait to get on the road. Keep up the great builds!

Karl
    GTM #362

189.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaragos View Post
    That is the concept I wanted in theory...LOL But I keep biting off more. Not entirely my fault though. People <<cough, cough>> keep finding great deals on cool stuff like traction control!
    lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe these would help give all of you builders out there some incentive to grab some extra push time to complete your project

"May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Presto51;28289]Maybe these would help give all of you builders out there some incentive to grab some extra push time to complete your project

Presto51..... Mission accomplished!
    I just booked a week off work to finish off all my mechanicals and start on the body work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Fraser D;28763]
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Maybe these would help give all of you builders out there some incentive to grab some extra push time to complete your project

Presto51..... Mission accomplished!
    I just booked a week off work to finish off all my mechanicals and start on the body work.
    I tryed that the week after Christmas and the week following Memorial Day last month. I think I totaled around eight hours of garage time. I can't say no to the big droopy eyes my Kids give me.....not to mention my wife's abiliity to persuade.

I'm going to give it another shot early fall. I'd really like to have the GTM ready for the Turkey Rod Run at the speedway Thanksgiving week end.

I'm stuck right now waiting on a solution for the Halo not being welded in the correct position. You may want to put your body on the chassis and check to see if the roor is resting on the Halo (making it difficult or impossible to get the body flush at the door openings as per the manual) and if you have a 1/2" to 3/4 gap in the passenger door seal that flexes body from Halo, over the rear wheel and down to the sill if you try to push it to the chassis tube as per the manual. It's been discovered as far back as kit #248 so its not Gen2 only.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    At a Boy Fraser D doing a Buildcation.

Hope you got the AC going on in the shop, and the refrigerator full of tasty refreshing beverages, for I hear you all got more than just Texas HOT down there this year
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ron,
    Michael came by Friday evening to see the progress and discuss some of the body items. Visits and good info talks always add a little motivation. Thanks for the videos.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

AC is going in this weekend, mainly because the beer fridge is struggling to keep life's necessities cold enough. The heat does not bother me too much but i have noticed the number of "volunteers" has decreased as the heat temp increased.
    The body looks OK in regards to the Halo but i have some investigation to do on my “A” pillar and door hinge surround this weekend as it looks like each side has been trimmed differently. Like almost an inch different.
    Wife is onboard with a Buildcation as so knows that she doesn’t get a new car until mine is finished.

Cheers

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    Guys,

AC is going in this weekend, mainly because the beer fridge is struggling to keep life's necessities cold enough. The heat does not bother me too much but i have noticed the number of "volunteers" has decreased as the heat temp increased.
    The body looks OK in regards to the Halo but i have some investigation to do on my “A” pillar and door hinge surround this weekend as it looks like each side has been trimmed differently. Like almost an inch different.
    Wife is onboard with a Buildcation as so knows that she doesn’t get a new car until mine is finished.

Cheers

Dave
    Dave,
    That's great news if you don't have an issue with the halo. Understand that the roof should not be resting on the halo anywhere. The only thing that should be in contact with the roof is the bulb seal that is on the rear wall aluminum. The manual even makes note that you are not to put enough pressure there when installing, to crush the bulb seal.

"Exert from the manual: "3. Set the rear wall in the car so that the bulb seal contacts the body with just enough pressure to create a seal between the trim and the body – do not press the rear wall up to the body so hard that the bulb seal is fully crushed."
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

More Teasing

This bright green one passed me today on the way home from work.

R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    lord.. i need to get some more overtime.... i gotta get me one of these... is there a way to speed up time lol
    Though you may try, you cannot break me. I am all that you wish you were but will never be.
    my prebuild/idea log