Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Long time lurker first time poster

Post Thanks / Like

Long time lurker first time poster

I have been cruising this forum for several years. This is my first post and I will start by saying thank you for the add. I have wanted to build a type 65 more many years; I think I fell in love the Daytona 65 when I was about 3 years old. My dad owned a Unocal 76 station and when it opened up Unocal stuffed promotional supplies in it and I ended up with a Dayton 65 toy car. That is when it began. Of course this was back in the early 70's and I spent quite a bit of time there and like a lot of there and got to watch all the cool cars roll in and out. In that service station I watched my dad build everything from dune buggies to street drag cars. So this is probably why this venture is so appealing to me. I have almost pulled the trigger a few times on a completed car using the excuse of time as my reason to buy but in the end it just feels more right to build. I have not built a car before however I do have some mechanical abilities. My very first car was a 1974 Mustang II. The ugliest mustang that could have ever been built, however once the body moldings where stripped off, chrome stripped off the wheels painted it fire engine red tore out the v-6 and dropped in a 289. It turned out to be an awesome first car. I wish I still had it. Other than that I have rebuilt an engine or two, the last one I built was about 15 years ago an 855 Cummings Big Cam III nothing that would fit into a 65 Coupe. Seeing some of your guys work I will admit is makes me wonder if I might be getting in too deep, I think my weakness will be fabrication and electrical work but on that note I have a few sheet metal union and a good friend that does body work so I think I can cover fabrication if I get stuck and the electrical stuff I can work through but it would be slow. Anyway, I live in the Lafayette, Indiana area and work as a real estate broker served the better half of my adult life in the USMC. This project will be a father/son project that I am going to do with my boys. I will be attending the build school this coming September and taking my youngest with me for that. Are there any 65 Coupes or Cobras in the Indiana area?

Post Thanks / Like
    DO IT

I had only done brakes, oil changes, and changed from winter to summer wheels before I did mine. Granted it has taken me some time, but it will be an awesome (in my humble opinion) car when its done. No time like the present, and the boys will enjoy the bonding as will you.
    There is always help in the form of this, and the other forum when you get stuck. Beyond that there are several guys that can physically build the car for you if you get to a point (hopefully not) that you cry uncle. And of course Mark Dougherty the traveling builder can come to your house, to assist in any and all parts of the build.
    If I hadn't found the forums, I would not have thought to take on the project. But there is so much knowledge here, that with a picture or two someone will help you figure things out.
    Let's us know when you've placed the order.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I concur, DO IT!

I ordered a kit which is in a truck headed my way now, so I only have a small head start. I have also only done small things on cars before ordering as well but I did go to the 33 hot rod build school first. The build school gave me a lot of confidence. The car really is pretty well engineered to go together. Not much fabrication is needed unless you go off script, which plenty of builders do successfully and document the process for others to follow. I was also worried about the electrical but the build school built my confidence. Sure, it will take some time, however, it is basically following directions and making sure you make good connections. The build school was well worth it for me to see things go together. I am sure you will have a great time with your boys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fvanhook View Post
    .... I have wanted to build a type 65 more many years; ...... I have almost pulled the trigger a few times ......it just feels more right to build. I have not built a car before however i do have some mechanical abilities. ..... I will admit is makes me wonder if i might be getting in too deep,..... This project will be a father/son project that i am going to do with my boys. I will be attending the build school this coming september and taking my youngest with me for that. Are there any 65 coupes or cobras in the indiana area?
    you will be fine

Any problem you run into, the people here will help you through. I was in over my head. Mark D came and put me on track, taught my sons alot in the process, and laughed when my wife tried to go buy parts that she knew nothing about!

I couldn't even decide on the paint and ended up telling the Bat to "just make it POP".

They did me good.

Bob

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely, looking forward to the build school! I am sure that I will get a lot of my questions answered there. My youngest has already informed me that after we complete a Coupe that we are building him an 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have pretty much committed myself to doing it. I continue to pass on oppurtunities to buy a built one that is completed only because I am wanting to build. I have been going back and forth more on if I build with a modern modular engine (coyote, voodoo, boss) or carburated. I have to say I love the sould of a carbureted engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear.
    I used a fast EZ fuel injector that looks like a carb. May be the middle of the road solution to fix both needs. There are other brands too that carry them, and then of course there is the fuel injected 8 stack I wish I had.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    http://http://www.ffcars.com/forums/...pe-owners.html

Have a look at the map to see who is near you

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, only 2 but one of them is only about 30 miles from my house. I sent him a message, hopefully he will reply. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a bunch of us in Indiana. I'm in Bloomington along with several others and do full builds as well as body & paint. Give me a ring sometime if you like at 812-327-zero393 and try to attend attend one of the Hoosier Cobra get togethers.

http://www.hoosiercobra.com/index.html

Cheers,
    Jeff

PS: If it's not already in your plans you should really try to attend the London Cobra Show in Columbus Ohio later this month:

https://www.londoncobrashow.com/

11. Thanks fvanhook thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the group. I built my Coupe with my son. It took three years for us to get it legally on the road. All great time, but learning when to close the garage door is part of the process. You will be getting a Gen III car and most of us have Gen 1 or 2, so keep an eye open for that.

Enjoy your build, Glen
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17

13. Thanks fvanhook thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, I had to awaken my account from sleep as I did a MKII cobra about 15 years ago... Same deal teach the kids... but my son was a computer dork and didnt want a drivers license nor know how to drive... Bout 3 years to build and it was a fight to get him in the garage to teach him anything... (you think you know where this is going...). Well jump to Jan of 2018 and I get a call that the driver wants to know where I live exactly as he seems lost... and in 2 hours we are wheeling a 65 coupe into the garage and stacking 36 boxes of “some assembly required”. Two days a Tremec 600 shows up... and It starts raing parts... Rims, Tires, Coyote... my son reupped on his AIRFORCE career and decided that he missed way to much of the build I did and wanted to learn now... so he took Leave for 24 days and we pretty much got the hard parts done suspension, IRS, Trans and Coyote. he jumps on a plane and goes back to work... so the story was sad, as I thought he wasnt into what I was trying to teach him... And ended with Me spending alot of quality time with my kid... I vote Pull the Trigger! If you vacation in Fla... you can come by and drill holes!
    Last edited by CaptGCCS; 06-18-2018 at 12:48 PM.

15. Thanks fvanhook thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    CaptGCCS, That’s a great story. My kid is a computer/gamer kid as are most anymore but he has a thing for tinkering and building stuff too. Just thinking it will be an opportunity to connect a little more and teach/learn. I do get to Florida now and then. I have a friend that lets me use his house in the Space coast area (Titusville) and my dad has a home in Sebring.Where are you at in Florida? I will for sure be pulling the trigger after build school. I am right now in the process of trying to negotiate the purchase of a 1992 GTA. I figured that I can use that to brush up on my wrench turning in the meantime. It’s body is straight and needs and its all original with fairly low miles for its age. Will probably start with upgrading/updating suspension, brakes, then do some minor interior work and body work. It should be a fun project while waiting on the real deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I did the build school this past weekend. Even met a few of the people on the forum one was EdwardB. I have been following his threads for quite sometime, he builds beautiful cars. The big take away from the build school is that this is actually somewhat simple it is just a large job. I have tore vehicles down and put them back together and am in the process of doing that to a Trans Am right now. I believe that is more labor intensive than a factory five build.

18. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I am doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Super !!! Welcome to the club, fun and insanity.
    I just took delivery of my Type 65 Coupe Complete Kit a week ago, on Wednesday!!! I've finished the inventory and found just a few issues. Starting the real hands on build tomorrow. Check out my build thread for a few photos.
    Bob

22. Thanks fvanhook thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. I will for sure be checking out your thread. Congratulations on the purchase of your kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Three Gen 3 Coupes heading to Indiana over the next few weeks; 2 slated for production next week going to the NE corner of the state and the third scheduled to be completed the 3rd week of October which will be coming here.

Jeff

25. Likes fvanhook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff Fred!! congrats on your new mistress

John

27. Likes fvanhook liked this post