FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Timing belt - this new or OE?

Post Thanks / Like

Timing belt - this new or OE?

My '06 WRX 2.5 has a head gasket leak so on my way in. The timing belt was supposed to have been replaced by AJW only 4,000 miles ago but now the belt has no marks, no arrow and no brand name. Does this mean it is the old OE belt, or would all marks wear off a new belt in 4,000 miles.

The bolts holding the water pump don't look like a wrench has ever touched them, and the outside of the water pump is oxidized & scruffy. This makes me wonder if the timing belt and water pump were really replaced. Your thoughts?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine once about 10,000 miles apart and the marks were gone. Considering both sides of the belt are used it wouldn't surprise me that they can wear off in a few hundred miles. Of course, nothing AJW does would surprise me either...

Was the water pump supposed to be replaced? It's not part of the procedure to do with the belt and other pulleys, just very highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember a previous discussion on the coloration of the timing belts. The coating comes off quickly, so look at the timing belt rubber for cracking.

The water pump sounds like it got the sunshine treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    No cracking on the timing belt.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    How many miles did AJW say was on the donor? If I remember correctly, other people who bought from them also didn't have the water pump replaced either. You'd think that once your in there changing the timing belt that the water pump is a no brainier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that if there's doubt it is best to replace TB, pulleys and water pump while I'm in there. On further inspection, I notice that there is a patch of corrosion on the surface of all the pulleys which must be where the donor sat for a over a year between the rollover accident and purchase by AJW. Also, two idler pulleys are leaking lube from the center pivot. It looks to me as if the Timing Belt Kit and water ump were never replaced, as promised.

Heads up, other AJW pallet customers.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    AJW is not who you want to business with. Another one of my customers paid for a LSD and when he broke the 5 speed, was going to take it apart to sell it and wasn't there
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    AJW is not who you want to business with. Another one of my customers paid for a LSD and when he broke the 5 speed, was going to take it apart to sell it and wasn't there
    Caveat emptor for sure
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85