Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ongoing door handle issues

Post Thanks / Like

Ongoing door handle issues

For whatever reason, my passenger side door handle continues to give me problems. Initially, the interior pull would not open the passenger door. I don't think it was pulling latch far enough. Now, I had used the key to lock the handle on one occasion. Now, the key moves full 180 degree, but exterior handle will not unlock, thus can not operate. That leaves me with no way to open the passenger door. Super aggravating as seems actual exterior door handle has failed because nothing that I do inside door panel has any effect on locking mechanism.

Should I just try to buy replacement exterior door handle and replace? If so, wonder how would get keyed similar to other drivers side.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, The problem with the door handles as installed using the book, is that there is no return to center position on the entire mechanism. you'll see that the key only works when the handle is exactly in the centered position and that is only obtained by using a lot of finesse. the other problem is that the spring setup does not lock the spring onto the arm so that if you lift the handle instead of pushing down it will probably disconnect the spring and cause issues like you are seeing. I spent a ton of time coming up with a setup that locked the handle in the center position, never disconnected that darn spring and used a straight rod to activate the latch instead of the cable. Worked like a champ and I was getting ready to send the info out to the forum when I discovered that it would not work with the power window option which I am using. Oh well, stuff happens with these things. I ended up installing solenoids to open the door with a remote key fob and all the associated safety junk to prevent a lockout.

BTW do you have the newer door latches that are different than the ones pictured in the manual? Ii could never make the cables pull the latch release due to the fact that the arms are so much shorter than the pictures units. The pull direction was in line with the cable mount as opposed to the 90 degrees needed to activate the latch. I complained but never got any fix from FFR as the old working latches are no longer available. I went to every MFG I could find and the best I came up with was one company that would special build the part number I needed for $200/each. that's when I quit and went my own way. good luck. keep trying things and you will eventually find some way to make them work.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thought, the locks are something a locksmith can re-key for you. I had both doors, a different truck handle, and a secure compartment in the trunk all keyed alike by the local guys for about $150.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, removal of the actual keyed door handle was total PIA. This thing is totally locked up. Hope I can get single handle replacement. IMG_2714.JPGIMG_2715.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I think i have a fix for handle, will see if it works tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted pics of my fix for door handles in toms33 post 292