Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: steel body??

Post Thanks / Like

steel body??

any updates on the 33 hot rod steel body availability??

2. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had inquired about status about a month ago with FFR because I am wanting to build with the steel body. I received a quick response from Tony, basically said they have bodies but no hoods and side panels. They are having production problems with the hoods and side panels and were not sure when that would be resolved. Couple more months maybe? I think that's why the steel-body blue 33 built by SMG they took to SEMA 17 didn't have a hood or sides.

The big first step has been made though - they have bodies that are at a production level. Now they need to finish the development/validation on the hood and sides to get them at a production level, then we'll be clear sailing with a full steel body.

I would think the glass and steel hoods would be interchangeable - but I know there are differences in the lower body "legs", chin piece, and the side panels from the glass to steel bodies.

As I work for a small company who is also trying to do complex off-shore production, I understand the challenges of process development and validation are compounded when you're a small fish company with limited resources. So I'll be patient
    (Plus I'm not quite ready to order yet either...)
    Last edited by TxMike64; 06-08-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

4. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few differences in the steel and glass bodies so far from what I saw at SEMA and at FF since then.
    The bead on the side of the steel body is more of an inverted V where the fiberglass one is more rounded so any
    marriage of the steel body and fiberglass hood would need that area finessed. Also the steel body has the lower
    portion in front of the firewall bobbed off with a curve IIRC so that would change how the glass hood sides attach.

I also recall that the steel chin piece is longer than the glass one but I don't recall if it wraps up to those bobbed
    body horns or not. Hood sides may be different too keeping in mind that the firewall on the steel body tucks behind
    the flange on the body instead of sitting in a recess like the glass body has there. I looked at the details because I
    wanted better doors and a better chin piece for my glass body 33 but it looks like a difficult marriage if at all.

HTH

Dale

6. Likes Mrallsport32, Schauby_16 liked this post