Russ' Garage

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bump Steer 4" Studs for 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Bump Steer 4" Studs for 33 Hot Rod

I've been looking around at bump steer kits and the longest studs I've found are 3". I need a stud 4" long for what I want to accomplish.
    I have a bump steer kit installed with 3" long studs, so know they're too short for my mission.

BumpSteerKit.jpg

Any ideas on a source for longer upright studs for me? Any help will be appreciated.
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 06-08-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    tom, did u ask Tim Whittacker up in Idaho. he may be willing to cut some to your specs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestion. Over on the other site I just got a note from him.

TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the bump steer for your 33 Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi HRB, It's been quite a while since I bought the kit, but think I ordered it from Summit Racing. It helped quite a bit, but my car, #007, was one of the first and had welded-in-place steering arms on the spindles. They're not the same as what came on the later cars. To get to where I want to be, I may have to get the standard spindles and change out my old ones. I don't think 4" long bolts are the best answer.

Tim Whittacker, I believe, has a bump steer kit he's making for the '33 now. Check with him, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just placed an order from him today thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I received notification from FFR that my new spindles and steering arms are on the way. They may require me to modify how I attach my front cycle fenders but won't know until they arrive. The old ones are welded spindles and arms, so probably aren't what is the current style.
    More soon..............

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    I received notification from FFR that my new spindles and steering arms are on the way. They may require me to modify how I attach my front cycle fenders but won't know until they arrive. The old ones are welded spindles and arms, so probably aren't what is the current style.
    More soon..............
    Tom
    That's a good start to fixing your bump steer issues, let us know how it maps out for bump steer with just the spindle change before you
    start raising the rack ends. Remind me what your chassis to ground clearance is at the firewall and the height of your front tires?

Dale Berry
    Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom try and check with fansteall they are very good at having most anything nuts and bolts you might and they are cheeper to.

Seasoned Citizen
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 33HR was delivered in 2016 so it may have the same spindles & arms that you are waiting for. I was able to set-up my bump steer to no more than .005" max and thru most of the 3.5" of travel it ranges from .002" to .003". I used the FFR bump steer kit #27593 but I don't like using a straight shank fastener to hold the heim joint to the steering arm. That arrangement relies on a great deal of clamp load to hold this levered single shear coupling from wobbling around. So I purchased an adjustable Pinto 7-deg taper tie-rod to heim joint adapter #91636055-Pinto and some 5/8" ID steel cone heim joint spacers from Speedway Motors. The cone spacers allow full rotation of the heim joints. On top of this I added a 5/8" fender washer so that should a heim joint failure occur it is captive (an NHRA requirement). This makes for a solid and professional looking set-up that's easy to adjust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Sturgis and NAZ, I'll take some pics of before and after when I change out the spindles. I'll check out fasteners and the bump kit that FFR is offering.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh! My spindles were shipped to my old address. 70 mile round trip and hope the new homeowners are there.............

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR is helping out with FedEx. They've arranged for the spindles to be picked up and re-routed to me.

Thanks FFR!