FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: R15 tires

Post Thanks / Like

R15 tires

Starting to think about replacing my tires and I just found out from tire rack that my old fire hawk Indy 500 tires are no longer made. Any suggestions for any new tires? Called tire rack and they recommended BFGoodrich T/A radial tires. Not sure I want those. Would like to hear everyone’ thoughts

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Simpletire.com
    2 weeks ago I purchased Toyo tires, free FedEx shipping, no tax, and Toyo was having a 15% off sale.
    Not sure if the sale is still active. They beat Tire Rack by a good amount of $$.
    Their website is a bit quirky, I picked out what I wanted then called them to order.
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-08-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    15 inch tires in the sizes these cars use are quite limited. I've used Cooper Cobras on a customer car...work well for a street cruiser.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said. I had BFGoodrich T/As on mine and went with Cooper Cobras. My car never sees the track and they were much cheaper than the BFGoodrich T/As. When you get them mounted, make sure the pressure is set correctly. Most shops don’t know the correct tire pressure they should run at. Mine were set to 36lbs. �� Thanks to 65 Cobra Dude (Henry) he suggested we check the pressure. Now 22lb front and 24lb rear. What a change in ride comfort!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Cooper Cobras and like them for street use. I did my first AutoX last weekend and, well, let's just say they're far from ideal! I pretty much had brought my own skid pan.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of the Avon tires, AVON CR6ZZ to be precise, for those us that like the look of 15 inch wheels.

Essentially they are a street legal radial race tire, very sticky. The radial part is very important; the sticky part is even more important. Unfortunately they are expensive and only good for about 5,000 mile, but that is a lot of miles on these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for the Avon CR6ZZ tires. I've had mine on the road for three summers and have just under 11,000 miles on them, with plenty of tread life left. Although, I will admit, they tend to harden somewhat with age and are not as sticky as when they were new.

I wanted something that tucked up inside the fenders really nice and looked period correct, so I used a slightly narrower tire than most - 245s on the rear and 225s on the front.

Love the old-school look - especially the zig-zag tread. I added the stencils myself with some parchment interior dye (spray can) and cardboard stencils from the local big-box office supply store.

Last edited by Gumball; 06-11-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you find Avon tires? That name never popped up in my searches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only two importers in the US.... Sasco Sports at VIR and Roger Kraus Racing out west.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Another possibility. 26x10 front and 26x12 rear
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s.../sportsman-s-r
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.