Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How Close is it????

Post Thanks / Like

How Close is it????

Ok, So the MK IV is made from the Dick Smith Car, How close is it? I had a Mk I that I was never really happy with the back fenders and the way the tires fit in-It looks like that is fixed- very nice. The dash looks right now- not so dune buggy, What is the consensus on the rest? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO the MkIV is a huge improvement over previous bodies. The joint lines require much less body work to fix. To me though, there are still 2 idiosyncrasies. The rear tires look like they are an inch too far back in the wheel well and the front fenders are too close to the tire at the front. The big improvements for me are; the rolled edges front and rear cockpit, the rear wheels w/ 315s fit just fine width wise, the butt has now been dropped, the body wraps around under the frame along the rocker panel area
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have stood between the Dick Smith car and a Mk4. Looked to the left at the CSX, looked to the right at the FFR; left, right, left right... Let's just say that it's closer than the Mk1, 2 or 3 but still far from exact.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty close, close enough that FFR should pay me royalties because I shaped the quarter panels on Dick's car.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    IMHO the MkIV is a huge improvement over previous bodies.......... The rear tires look like they are an inch too far back in the wheel well............
    I felt the same, so I made an adjustment. First, I have a solid axle. I cut 1/2" off both ends of the Upper Link. That left 1-1/8" threads on each end after cutting. I then installed the rod ends, with nuts, all the way in. After assembling, but leaving the four axle clamp bolts loose, I set the pinion angle, then tightened the four clamp bolts. The rear wheel now looks center in the wheel well. When attaching the front of the upper link axle mount to the front axle flange, I had to add a spacer (approx 1/2" thick).

NOTE: Reducing the upper link by 1" total, the rear wheel moved forward 1/2", centering it in the wheel well.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 06-09-2018 at 07:09 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think I like the look. Others don't with the 18's. Body is a little off here and there but it was from a hand made car. Right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    The original cars came from AC with lots of variations - often not even symetrical from side-to-side on the same car - as the exterior skins were added to the chassis by outside firms.

That said, each version of the FFR body has improved, but they still require a bit of massaging if you want to get the appearance right. Given the nature of the running gear, though, there will always be proportions that are off from the original cars, so it's all about striking a balance with those dimensions. The little details help, too, to draw the eye away from body lines that aren't quite perfect and to give a greater similarity to the original cars.

Here's my Mk III - it's a late one.... often referred to as the 3.1..... and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I did quite a bit of tweaking to the body, from rolled cockpit edges and wheel wells to reshaping the tail light pads to fit the rectangular Lucas lamps - even going so far as to add rivets around the cockpit to simulate how the body skin was held onto the chassis of an original car, adding drain tubes to the side curtain ferrules, and a stub of pipe at the top center of the dash-to-cowl to mimic the original support tubing.

The Mk IV came out just a few months after I picked up my kit, so I was a bit bummed, as the only thing I don't like about my Mk III is the "perky butt," which would have required a bit more surgery to eliminate.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gordon, I remember the day you and Dick brought his car out for the first time after restoration (Tulare Cars in Park) I was the guy with the red Butler sitting next to you guys.
    I think your rear quarter panels look great. I am getting ready for another project and it is a toss up on either a 33 hot rod or Cobra No. 6.

Thanks again for comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn that was a long time ago, like 30 years. I think I remember you having a LM002 at one time also.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets not forget the License plate not fitting correctly between the light and latch handle. I'm truly surprised that FFR did not address and fix this

Post Thanks / Like
    Or, @Big-boss you could just buy an original and be done with it.
    Edit: This was supposed to have a grin emoji...
    Last edited by mburger; 06-17-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.