Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lemons to Lemonade at a Cruise Night - Capturing the Next Generation

Post Thanks / Like

Lemons to Lemonade at a Cruise Night - Capturing the Next Generation

After over six months of hibernation, I finally dug 7074 out last week and got it back on the road. One of the small towns in my area puts on a really nice show in a municipal lot along a river where they recently added a whitewater chute bypass to an old dam that was reconstructed - it's a really nice setting and brings out tons of families.

While I was talking with a guy, a little kid - maybe around six or so and weighing all of 40 - 50 lbs at most - walked right up to my driver's door, climbed on the side pipe (which was cool) and proceeded to yank on the top of the door with both hands. It looked like the kid next to him was an older brother - probably around 10 or so - but no parents in sight. I asked him to stop, then, when he didn't, I repeated myself louder. The guy I was talking to jumped in and started walking towards the kid and told him to pay attention, causing the kid and his brother to run away.

Maybe a half hour later, the two kids are back - about 20 feet away - and the little one was looking really embarrassed as his mom was talking to him very sternly. I only caught a little of what she was saying, but I could guess that she was telling him to apologize to me. He really looked scared, so I walked over and knelt down by him and told him that it was okay. He then apologized for touching my car without permission and for not listening when I asked him to stop. He had a hard time looking at me, but I told him that I appreciated that he talked to me like a man and that his apology was accepted. As he turned quickly to go back to his mom, I stood up and said that I'm guessing he climbed on it because he was excited and that he really likes my car. He said yes, so I asked him if he wanted to sit in it. You should have seen the little guy's eyes light up. He climbed in and mom took a bunch of pictures, then thanked me profusely for being so understanding.

I'm guessing that he won't soon forget that night and the lesson he learned.

Remember - these cars are like magnets to little ones and we have a unique opportunity to make a difference in their lives. Sometimes they may be a bit rambunctious or not understand the boundaries, but with a little patience, we can help cultivate a life-long interest in cars and hand our hobby down to the next generation.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well handled and good for you turning what could have been a negative experience for all involved into a positive one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very cool story Chris - U Da Man!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great story. I’ve seen lots of owners at these shows chase people away verbally and physically for getting too close to their ‘prize possessions’. I don’t want anyone beating up my stuff but at the end of the day, that’s all these cars are and if you can’t have fun with it and use these events as a teaching opportunity for all, then why go? I’m sure that little one had the time of his life!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a local Culvers cruise-in many years ago. A young girl, maybe 5-6 did the same thing but my pipes were still warm. I snatched her off, didn't melt her tennis shoes, a good thing. Her mom was there and apologized. I asked if she wanted to go for a ride, was OK w/ mom, we just drive around the lot.

All was good, no harm done, but BIG smiles.

The kids are usually great, less so for many of the "adults".

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    When I as at the build school, one of the instructors told us they brought their Cobra to the Mott CC car show. He came back to his car in the afternoon to what he throught were multiple distinct butt prints on his car. Turns out, the volleyball team thought it would make a great picture, so they climbed on his car for a photo. I think you handled the situation with the kid perfectly, however, I don't think I would have taken to a group of adults climbing on top of my car well. Do you still call peoples parents when they act like kids in college?
    Last edited by Clover; 06-11-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is absolutely great!
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good story, sure it happens a lot with our cars.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    He came back to his car in the afternoon to what he throught were multiple distinct butt prints on his car. Turns out, the volleyball team thought it would make a great picture, so they climbed on his car for a photo.
    I might have been OK with that....