Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Shifting Problems

Post Thanks / Like

818 Shifting Problems

Hello, new to the forum. Tried searching but can’t seem to find much information. I have a 1975 Porsche 914 shell that I’ve swapped an 03 WRX motor and trans into. I used the 818 shifter and cable kit to convert it to RWD. For some reason I can only get 3rd and 4th gear. I’ve spent hours trying to adjust the cables and they’re about as good as I can get. I have side to side gates and forward and back but cannot get it into any gear besides 3rd and 4th. I’ve tested transmission side and everything seems to work properly going into each gear. I’m curious as to what others think or if you have come across any similar issues.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're able to switch into all of the gears by hand on the back of the trans, but only 3rd and 4th using the linkage, then your linkage/cable is not transferring the side-to-side motion from the shifter to the twisting motion to the shaft on the back of the trans. Can you post any pics of your linkage and shifter setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, having trouble putting the pictures in. It won't let me upload for some reason but I'll give you some links for what I have going on. Anyways, as far as it not transferring, if I have someone watching the cables from the transmission side it appears that it's all working fine as far as the cables transferring. Also if I adjust it any more then I lose motion going to the right or the left as if the cables were binding.
    Here's the link of the cables being installed. I Have the same setup -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Y1u8pJwjM
    And this is the shifter that I have for it -
    http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/8085...fter-assembly/

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, having trouble putting the pictures in. It won't let me upload for some reason but I'll give you some links for what I have going on. Anyways, as far as it not transferring, if I have someone watching the cables from the transmission side it appears that it's all working fine as far as the cables transferring. Also if I adjust it any more then I lose motion going to the right or the left as if the cables were binding.
    Here's the link of the cables being installed. I Have the same setup -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Y1u8pJwjM
    And this is the shifter that I have for it -
    http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/8085...fter-assembly/

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a chance that you have the cables swapped at the transmission?
    220,221 whatever it takes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, check your cables. Side-to-side motion at the shifter should result in a rotation on the shaft on the back of the trans. Likewise, up and down motion at the shifter should result in the shaft being pushed in and out. The forum has a size limit on uploading photos but if you reduce the resolution, it should work.

Post Thanks / Like
    No I'm positive that the cables aren't swapped. I've had people operate the shifter while I watch to check for any binding and everything looks fine. I've removed and swapped the cable just for the sake of them being different sizes and being designated to a certain side, but no change. It's really odd. I have the side to side and front to back motion, it's just when trying to shift into say 5th, it slides back over as if it's in 3rd. Almost like there's too much play, which I understand being cables it'll never be perfect but still. Also, if I try adjusting the side to side cable anymore then I end up losing motion to one of the sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you are checking all the boxes for trying to figure it out. It might be a combination of cable slop and not enough travel to initiate the required force needed to twist the shaft for the higher and lower gears. STiPWRD and I (and many others) are using the MR2 shifter configuration that requires custom cables running straight back from the shift assembly to a modified bell crank. When I ordered my custom cables I got 3" of travel at each end in order to maximize adjustment and reduce cable slop.
    Maybe try adjusting the cables to maximize travel at the transmission end - this may give you a bit more leverage for the higher and lower gears.
    220,221 whatever it takes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine2013 View Post
    I have the side to side and front to back motion, it's just when trying to shift into say 5th, it slides back over as if it's in 3rd. Almost like there's too much play, which I understand being cables it'll never be perfect but still.
    Ok, this helps me understand the issue you're having. It sounds like there is too much slack in the cables, which causes the ends to be "springy" and lose the retention force they need to keep on the linkage. The slack is caused by the long length of the cables and turns or loops. In general, the shorter and straighter you can make the cables, the more positive and connected the shifter will feel. As mentioned, I got rid of the FFR system, which runs the cable forward then backwards, to the MR2 shifter, which runs them straight backwards to the engine. This saved a 180 degree turn in the cables and about half the length.

This thread may be helpful if you decide to go with this option:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...42-MR2-Shifter

The only other thing I can suggest is to remove the gate on your shifter to see if you can get an extra bit of range side-to-side. I think you mentioned in the first post that you have a gated shifter but maybe I misread that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having the same problem as Kaine. I am attempting to use the aluminium FFR shifter with the long cables on a 5 speed. Shifting into 3rd and 4th is possible but it does not go very smoothly. Shifting into 5th or Reverse is impossible from the shifter. From the back of transmission shifting through the gears is not a problem. At this point I don't think I have any other choice but to consider the MR2 option or Wayne's option. Very disappointed with the FFR setup.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7cYXZNMftc8VKsuZA
    818C - #458 | Delivered-11/16/16 | First Start/Go Kart-8/24/18 |
    Daily: 2004 WRX
    Weekend: 2012 S4