Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Shaft and Steering wheel Alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Shaft and Steering wheel Alignment

So I ignorantly thought the 6 holes in the steeling wheel adapter were evenly spaced, I went to rotate my wheel and center up my steering wheel, and you guessed it I am 120 degrees out. Obviously the upper shaft could come apart for 180 degrees but that doesn't help. I have a 99 power race with means I have a pyramid adapter.

Heres my questions:
    what is the splined interface in the joint between the pyramid adapter and the lower shaft? Is it simply splined, or is the spline keyed to only going together 1 direction?
    How to I get the lower steering shaft out of the adapter to see if I can rotate it and spline it back up?
    Do I have to remove the rack and pinion to get the shaft coupler to come apart? the upper portion of the shaft is pinned in by the pillow block bearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, probably.

I made a similar miss judgment. I had to loosen the firewall bearing and the pillow block bearing to get it out, then had to further loosen the steering unit to get it back in after aligning the splines.

Unless you have something different (I have the stock FFR supplied power steering unit and u joint) the splines are quite fine and adjust easily to center the wheel.

None of the removal or reinstall was easy but it works.

If you are unable to loosen the upper bearings I would assume you can just remove and reinstall the steering unit to accomplish the task but I have not done it that way so will let someone else confirm this will work.

Good luck.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never worked on the pyramid version, but on the others I have always needed to move the rack. It is really helpful to have someone hold the steering wheel steady as you pop the splines apart. Otherwise it will spin on it's own. I still don't know why FFR mounts the pillow block forward of the firewall. I have seen enough threads where people were forced to mount it behind the firewall to clear other components that I know it's possible. Good luck as it usually takes 2-3 tries to get it in the correct orientation.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Not the news I wanted, but thanks for the advice. At least I'm not the only one who has made this mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    This might be obvious - get the rack centered in its travel first, set the alignment roughly and then set the steering wheel angle.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the pyramid adapter with my setup. I also have the original splined adapter that came with my steering shaft. The end that fits into the steering shaft on the latter is not splined...it fits on with two flat spots. I don't recall but I assume the pyramid version is the same. My steering wheel is off 90 degrees after centering the rack internals. FFR told me the only way to set the wheel properly was through the front alignment process by adjusting the tie rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct Joecobr!. I pulled the rack bolts loose last night and dropped the rack and inch so I could get the shaft to separate, and the intersection of the lower steering shaft to the adapter is a round shaft with 2 flat spots (similar to the intersection of the upper and lower shaft. (I was hoping it was splined)

You are also correct that the only thing I can do to center up the wheel is in the rod ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think in my case it will likely be a combination of the rack a bit off Center and tie rod adjustment. Likely, for you as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecobr View Post
    I think in my case it will likely be a combination of the rack a bit off Center and tie rod adjustment. Likely, for you as well.
    If that is the case, I would get offset rack bushings and do as much w/ them as possible. Tierods being different lengths is not good for the geometry.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    deleted duplicate- the forum is still messed up

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This drove me nuts with the stock wheel(s) so I centered the tie rods on the rack and added my own quick disconnect set up and centering the steering wheel in the process.

For me the F-5 Wood Wheel was too thin and the Leather was a bit fat so Mr. Go-Dad-Goldie-Lox gave both wheels away and opted for an alternate solution.

Geaux Figure This Dark Side Guy Would Do Something Different!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-14-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Race car wheel disconnect is not a bad idea. It would make it easier to get in and out of the car.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the set up I purchased:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60722/10002/-1

Mark Reynolds, of Breeze Automotive, has a unit that he sells and we all know that his stuff is always top-notch.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=413
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-15-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, not having a power rack, I'm not [totally] familiar with what is being called a "pyramid" adapter. That being said, and after looking at one first hand, it seems as if the input shaft for the PS is triangulated. Any movement or re-adjusting of the adapter should give you 120° of rotation (three-sides triangle with 120° angles at each transition). If as stated, you are 120° out of alignment, then just rotate the "pyramid" adapter 1/3 turn in the correct direction and you should be perfect.

Any small angle short of perfect can be adjusted with tie-rod ends but you should never adjust more then 1 complete turn in any direction. Doing so will throw off your turning radius.

Center the rack [housing] in the frame, center the rack travel in the housing and then adjust your steering wheel mounting. When all is close to what would be perfect, get the car toe-in aligned with everything sitting as near centered as possible.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The “pyramid” adapter I have will only fit on one way. It is not triangular. My steering wheel is out about 90 degrees with the rack cantered. I’ll have to off center the rack a bit, and play with the tie rods to get it centered. Life would be much easier with a uniformly drilled steering wheel. I am not sure of the rationale behind the current unsymmetrical hole pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    The “pyramid” adapter I have will only fit on one way. It is not triangular. My steering wheel is out about 90 degrees with the rack cantered. I’ll have to off center the rack a bit, and play with the tie rods to get it centered. Life would be much easier with a uniformly drilled steering wheel. I am not sure of the rationale behind the current unsymmetrical hole pattern.
    I would not recommend that...can screw up the steering geometry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t like the idea either. FFR suggested the problem will be taken care of by the alignment shop. I assume they will do what I propose. Short of getting another steering wheel adapter, I am not sure what to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    The only other option I know of is to go to the older rack which has a splined input.

Post Thanks / Like
    The “pyramid” adapter I have will only fit on one way. It is not triangular. My steering wheel is out about 90 degrees with the rack cantered.
    Been there. I redrilled the steering adapter at 90 deg. Since there is 6 holes, the other 6 are right in between.
    Last edited by totem; 06-19-2018 at 06:24 AM.