Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Toe adjustment question.

Post Thanks / Like

Toe adjustment question.

Hi all,

Helping my dad with his 33 roadster that he has just finished. I did a full four wheel alignment (Mustang IRS) on the car and had an issue setting the toe on the front end. Every car I have ever done has flats on the steering rods to adjust toe. This rack has no flats and the rods don't seem to want to turn. I was hesitant to pull the boots on the rack so the only way I could adjust it was to pop the rod ends off and turn them. The toe is set close but I can't believe that coarse of an adjustment is the way to do this job.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some inner tie rods have flats, some unfortunately don't. Then you have no choice but use something else to turn them, e.g. Channel Locks, locking pliers, or even a pipe wrench. None of which are very elegant and will likely leave marks or mar the finish. Can't be helped though. The fact that you were able to turn the tie rod ends when removed from the spindle means that end was OK. The other end should turn OK in the rack, but sometimes the boot won't allow it. Then you may have no choice but to loosen or remove the clamp on the small end of the boot. Then it should turn. I will sometimes squeeze a little grease under there to allow it to move more easily. Replace the clamp after the toe is set.

Note getting the inner tie rod to turn is really necessary to get the alignment set accurately. Moving a full turn at a time by removing the tie rod end is not only inconvenient, it will usually be way too much adjustment once you get it close.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-04-2018 at 08:15 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

Then you have no choice but use something else to turn them, e.g. Channel Locks, locking pliers, or even a pipe wrench. None of which are very elegant and will likely leave marks or mar the finish. Can't be helped though.
    I did this: install an extra nut on the inner tie rod end- so instead of one nut to lock the (outer) tie rod end, use two.

When time to set toe - back both nuts away from the (outer) tie rod end + lock them together and use a wrench on them to turn the inner tie rod.

- presto - "elegant" -

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a bump steer kit with adj. rod ends, your going to need it any way

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    I did this: install an extra nut on the inner tie rod end- so instead of one nut to lock the (outer) tie rod end, use two.

When time to set toe - back both nuts away from the (outer) tie rod end + lock them together and use a wrench on them to turn the inner tie rod.

- presto - "elegant" -
    Great idea! I like it. May use it even on inner tie rod ends that have the flats. Even then, sometimes not easy to make adjustments without marking things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    Buy a bump steer kit with adj. rod ends, your going to need it any way
    Why do you say that? If the OP has the FF 2-piece spindles, bump steer is pretty well managed in my experience. I wouldn't go there unless actual measurements show it's needed.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.