BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Too many cylinder head choices

Post Thanks / Like

Too many cylinder head choices

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I am going through a rebuild on my 87 302. It is a stock rebuild, but instead of reusing the gt40p heads I have, I would like to get a set of aluminum heads. There are a ton of options out there. I am looking for an option that doesn't break the bank because I am also going to be purchasing a different carb. The cam I currently have is a b303. I know there are much better options out there, but I plan on sticking with it. Has anyone had experience with any of these heads?

NKB heads - https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...ord-274_86457/

Promaxx - https://promaxxperformance.com/product/maxx-180-sbf/

Blueprint - https://blueprintengines.com/collect...ount-assembled

The Blueprint and Promaxx appear to be the same casting, although the Promaxx claims to have hand blended bowls. The price on the NKB's is silly and claims to use great components. I am unsure what components Promaxx and Blueprint use.

Anyone have any experience with these heads or can offer other suggestions? Much appreciated!

Scottie

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mr. Scott,

We all know that I'm a Chevy fan; however, most folks don't know that I'm also a fan of Dart products too.
    With that said you may want to look at Dart's goodies too, specifically their aluminum Pro-1 series:

http://dartheads.com/dart-product/pro1-20-195cc/

Finally, remember that engines with a smaller cams that have great heads, when properly sized, can surprise the heck out of you.
    Good Luck With Your Upgrade!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-13-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the suggestion! I have seen some great tests on the show engine masters with big heads and small cams.

Unfortunately those dart heads are going to be a little out of the budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the Ford Performance X-heads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the suggestion! I have seen some great tests on the show engine masters with big heads and small cams.

Unfortunately those dart heads are going to be a little out of the budget.
    I hear you on the budget since mine was blown to smithereens when I had to replace my block.

Any thoughts about maybe going with the Dart Iron Eagles instead?

I'm all iron (SHP Block & Iron Eagle Heads) so going IRON might be an option; however, you need to keep the compression below 10 to 1 if you want to run on pump gas.

Again, Good Luck & Keep Us Posted!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Edelbrock or AFR. Those heads you listed may be fine, no experience with them. Just make sure the exhaust port is in the stock location, allowing use of your existing headers. Mike Forte might have some good advise. He deals with parts on all levels and can relate to your cubic inches, cam, intake, etc. Nothing like experience.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve to be honest I didn’t consider iron. That is still an option for sure. I will look into those

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    What about the Ford Performance X-heads?
    When I looked at the gt40x heads I recall the chamber size being a little bigger than I would like. Also, they don’t seem to have as good of a bang for the buck factor. I was seeing them for around $1300.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I like Edelbrock or AFR. Those heads you listed may be fine, no experience with them. Just make sure the exhaust port is in the stock location, allowing use of your existing headers. Mike Forte might have some good advise. He deals with parts on all levels and can relate to your cubic inches, cam, intake, etc. Nothing like experience.
    I’ll give mike a ring. I bought most of my stuff from him to begin with

Post Thanks / Like
    Edelbrock E-Street aluminum cylinder heads.

11. Likes scottiec liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Edelbrock E-Street aluminum cylinder heads.
    Apparently they are only for flat tappet cams. Which is alarming. I tried to call Edelbrock yesterday but couldn’t get anyone on the phone. They seem like a great choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    My engine builder used E-Streets on my 347 and a ton of his other engines. Said the castings are excellent - only issue is that the springs need to be tossed in the garbage right out of the box. They are prone to breaking (all over the mustang forums). I have upgraded springs and use a roller cam.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a set of E-Streets before being informed. I called Edel and was told it was an economy package to compete with the China imports. The springs are not for hyd roller lifters, per Edel. I would question the valves also. The castings do look good and did not require more than a tootsie roll cleanup. I lapped the valves and changed the springs. The spring pockets are too small for standard small block springs. There are some LS-1 springs, I think that make a good replacement. I bought another brand, X70 or something like that, too long ago for my memory. Bottom line, you need to get a good deal on the E-Streets, since you will need to add springs and minor labor to get them to a dependable level.
    My heads are still on a bench, so I cannot comment on performance.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I bought a set of E-Streets before being informed. I called Edel and was told it was an economy package to compete with the China imports. The springs are not for hyd roller lifters, per Edel. I would question the valves also. The castings do look good and did not require more than a tootsie roll cleanup. I lapped the valves and changed the springs. The spring pockets are too small for standard small block springs. There are some LS-1 springs, I think that make a good replacement. I bought another brand, X70 or something like that, too long ago for my memory. Bottom line, you need to get a good deal on the E-Streets, since you will need to add springs and minor labor to get them to a dependable level.
    My heads are still on a bench, so I cannot comment on performance.
    This is exactly what I have read. Crazy for 1000 bucks you still need to do stuff to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is exactly what I have read. Crazy for 1000 bucks you still need to do stuff to them.
    I think you can still get the E Street Heads from between $500 - $600, I haven't been in the market for some time. They will save you some money and yes you will be required to do some work to them if you want performance. Here is a poor shot of my motor results with E Street heads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can still get the E Street Heads from between $500 - $600, I haven't been in the market for some time. They will save you some money and yes you will be required to do some work to them if you want performance. Here is a poor shot of my motor results with E Street heads.
    Last edited by DavidW; 06-13-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: duplicate post for some reason

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s some good power davidw. An assembled set sells for $9xx

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE

I decided to just spend the extra bucks and go with trick flow twisted wedge track heat 170cc heads. Thanks for the advice everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE

I decided to just spend the extra bucks and go with trick flow twisted wedge track heat 170cc heads. Thanks for the advice everyone
    Mr. Scott,

Do those heads require special pistons because of the altered/non-stock valve angle?
    Sorry to ask, but this Chevy Guy just wanted to know since I'm far from Ford Savvy!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Mr. Scott,

Do those heads require special pistons because of the altered/non-stock valve angle?
    Sorry to ask, but this Chevy Guy just wanted to know since I'm far from Ford Savvy!

Steve
    They do once you surpass a certain lift and duration. With my b303 cam, I’ll be fine. But of course I will check PTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Scott,

Yes.

With my b303 cam, I’ll be fine. But of course I will check PTV
    Also yes - you might make it with a B303.
    Last edited by mike223; 06-15-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    Yes.

Also yes - you might make it with a B303.
    Yeah I just called them as well. They said they have seen guys get away their stage 2 cam with out the TW pistons. But like I mentioned, I will absolutely be checking. Also for anyone that needs to measure PTV clearance, it's not necessarily the lift that causes the issues, it's duration.

Thanks for chiming in Mike!

Post Thanks / Like
    The most expensive heads are the cheap cr-p that breaks a valve and trashes your engine. Buy good heads and be done, I really like my AFR heads from Ford Strokers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The most expensive heads are the cheap cr-p that breaks a valve and trashes your engine. Buy good heads and be done, I really like my AFR heads from Ford Strokers.
    Absolutely excellent advice.

Most of the off the shelf heads on the market will perform close enough to the same to not matter. The separation comes at the upper power levels, and high rpm's. For street driving, you won't really notice the difference between one and the other.

On the name brands, the castings are all about the same. so don't sweat those differences, and don't fall in to the advertising hype that all companies put out.

The big difference is in the components: springs, locks, valves, retainers. This is where you need to spend the money on quality components, and this is the difference between a $1500 and $1000 set of heads.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post

Most of the off the shelf heads on the market will perform close enough to the same to not matter. The separation comes at the upper power levels, and high rpm's. For street driving, you won't really notice the difference between one and the other.

On the name brands, the castings are all about the same. so don't sweat those differences, and don't fall in to the advertising hype that all companies put out.

The big difference is in the components: springs, locks, valves, retainers. This is where you need to spend the money on quality components, and this is the difference between a $1500 and $1000 set of heads.
    Totally agreed. That’s why I went for the truck flow track heat with better valve springs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post

Totally agreed. That’s why I went for the truck flow track heat with better valve springs

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used several sets of the Trick Flow heads with great success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Glad to hear. In the tests I have seen, these heads put down some really solid power

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Glad to hear. In the tests I have seen, these heads put down some really solid power

Post Thanks / Like
    Any thoughts on the Blueprint HP9008 heads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    Any thoughts on the Blueprint HP9008 heads?
    Dave, see my first post. They were an option

Post Thanks / Like
    As I started reading this thread I was thinking "no, don't do it, don't buy cheap heads".

I am glad to see that you made a great choice.

I have TrickFlow heads with Pac Racing springs and they are awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    As I started reading this thread I was thinking "no, don't do it, don't buy cheap heads".

I am glad to see that you made a great choice.

I have TrickFlow heads with Pac Racing springs and they are awesome.
    Dude they just came in today. So beautiful looking lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dude they just came in today. So beautiful looking lol.
    Congratulation & I'm Sure These Heads Will Be A Very Nice Upgrade!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulation & I'm Sure These Heads Will Be A Very Nice Upgrade!
    Thanks man! I’ll keep you guys posted.