Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AC Compressor removal

Post Thanks / Like

AC Compressor removal

Has anyone removed and replaced the ac compressor on a completed car without pulling the engine? It looks like it might be possible if you remove the exhaust manifold, but it is pretty tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I removed it from my originally installed LS-1. It seemed impossible at first, but somehow I got the compressor out. I am not sure, if I could have installed it again.
    GTM #006 (early beta)
    On the road in Austria/Europe
    LS-7 with Kooks / G50 / Pfadt Bushings
    Bilstein shocks, C6 ZO6 brakes with DBA rotors
    Lightweight build (2.336 lbs ready to drive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we've done it a couple of times. Yes, you might as well plan on getting the exhaust out of the way. Some of the bolts/studs you can get all of the way out, but some will be "captured" and you will need to pull the compressor out with the bolts/studs still thru the compressor. Make a note of which ones they are and be sure that those bolts/studs are installed into the compressor before snaking the compressor back up into place.

One thing to not forget.....if you are installing a new or rebuilt compressor, some of them ship dry with no AC oil. Be sure to add the oil to the compressor crankcase BEFORE you install it....since once it's installed, you can't go back and add oil later.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. It's good to know it can be done before starting. I would hate to do all that work only to end up pulling the engine anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post

One thing to not forget.....if you are installing a new or rebuilt compressor, some of them ship dry with no AC oil. Be sure to add the oil to the compressor crankcase BEFORE you install it....since once it's installed, you can't go back and add oil later.
    Another great reminder, thanks Shane!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Some decent lighting and a second set of hands on standby to help move the position of the bolts as you solve the puzzle. Oh and to offer some moral support and to remind you that using a 4lb hammer to "help" the compressor in is not such a great idea.
    It does fit! Just take your time and be patient.
    I think that on my LS1 I had to have the mounting bracket unbolted as well and sort of keep jiggling the two pieces until I was able to work them both in together.
    Once you get all of the bolts started slide the belt over the pulley before you snug the bolts up.
    As Shane mentioned, check the oil status before attempting the puzzle.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes this can be done as mentioned before it comes out as a unit and take your time and don't force it.

Steve