Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Blueprint or other manufacturers 302 carbureted

Post Thanks / Like

Blueprint or other manufacturers 302 carbureted

Any thoughts or experience with the Blueprint or other manufacturers 302 carbureted engine? I like the look and the price fits my wallet but the HP is significantly less than the other engines. In the FFR manual it says that the best balanced fun street cars are between 300-350 hp so i'm a bit nervous about going that route and being disappointed with performance. My gut is telling me that 235HP in something that light is still has a lot of poke but I just want to hear about other peoples experiences before I make a decision. Also, if you have good experience with similar priced engines and i'd be glad to hear about them and where you got them from.

Thanks
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,
    I can't offer any advice on anything really. Just want to say that I am banking on the 300-350 horsepower that is mentioned in the manual. If a heavy Mustang can be fun, well this should be really fun. I'm hoping to go-cart soon, after only almost 6 years of building (who's counting).

Mike
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

3. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not driven one, so I can't say for sure, however, I know that at the build school the engine we put in was a 302 that was making 225hp and it was still enough to spin the tires with ease. I don't remember what rear gear was in the car but these things don't weigh much. I think you would still find the car to be fast with a 302 and if you really want, you can hop up a 302 to make 300 to 350hp with little trouble. I also know that some of the people that do big HP builds don't end up driving their cars often because they become a bit much. The great thing about FF is that you get to build it how you want it and then change if from there if you wish.

5. Thanks DanM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have driven FFRs with Hp from 200 to 600. My favorite ( driving around town) was "The Skunk" with all of 200hp. Still quick but much more predictable when you push the gas. It wasn't the fastest but a fun car to drive. My car had maybe 280 hp....I was good with that. Less Hp usually means less cam = better manners at low speeds. just my thoughts

7. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To give you a speed reference point. This is going back a few years, at the time my car had a 100% stock 93 GT engine with 225 hp (now about 300hp) and 3.27 gears. I did some track time and I was running with a group of modified Mustangs, these cars had 4.6 liter 3 valve engines with blowers and about 400 hp and big brakes. This was a short track and we were all getting up to about 100 mph on the fastest straight but I was quicker on the corners. I still have the full donor car brake setup with the 9 inch back drums and they worked fine.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

9. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To give you a speed reference point. This is going back a few years, at the time my car had a 100% stock 93 GT engine with 225 hp (now about 300hp) and 3.27 gears. I did some track time and I was running with a group of modified Mustangs, these cars had 4.6 liter 3 valve engines with blowers and about 400 hp and big brakes. This was a short track and we were all getting up to about 100 mph on the fastest straight but I was quicker on the corners. I still have the full donor car brake setup with the 9 inch back drums and they worked fine.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought the 370 HP Fuel injected 306 from Blueprint for my 35 Truck. It will be plenty and have great street driveability. I’ve built a Cobra and a 33 and both had the 345 horse Ford Racing long lock and I loved them. You don’t need a lot of HP in these cars to have fun, they build light. Build it the way you want and don’t worry about others. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Marv; 06-15-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    2012 FFR 33 HR, won Best Use of Chrome Huntington Beach 2014; 345 HP AOD
    Deep Impact Blue
    2018 FFR 35 Pick Up, building, getting there.

12. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Just bought the 370 HP Fuel injected 306 from Blueprint for my 35 Truck. It will be plenty and have great street driveability. I’ve built a Cobra and a 33 and both had the 345 horse Ford Racing long lock and I loved them. You don’t need a lot of HP in these cars to have fun, they build light. Build it the way you want and don’t worry about others. Just my 2 cents.
    Build school this past March now uses the Blueprint 306 with Sniper efi making the 370 hp that Marv references. Car was quick and yes could spin the tires with ease.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

14. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for considering BluePrint,

Gad to answer any questions you have!
    I think you're referencing this combo, with a pretty much stock 302. We offer it so guy that just want to cruise, and not break the bank have a great option.
    http://factoryfiveengines.com/bluepr...carbureted-mk4

Here's the 306 the build school uses. It is alot of fun. and we do both carb/efi versions.
    http://factoryfiveengines.com/bluepr...l-injected-mk4

we have a bunch of other options, But i assume this is where you'd like to be based on the original post. All these can be seen on the "engines" tab of the websites above!

happy to help any time

Johnny- BluePrint Engines
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for considering BluePrint,

Gad to answer any questions you have!
    I think you're referencing this combo, with a pretty much stock 302. We offer it so guy that just want to cruise, and not break the bank have a great option.
    http://factoryfiveengines.com/bluepr...carbureted-mk4

Here's the 306 the build school uses. It is alot of fun. and we do both carb/efi versions.
    http://factoryfiveengines.com/bluepr...l-injected-mk4

we have a bunch of other options, But i assume this is where you'd like to be based on the original post. All these can be seen on the "engines" tab of the websites above!

happy to help any time

Johnny- BluePrint Engines
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like

Something to consider

Dan,

I have Proformance Ford 302 that is dyno-ed and 380 HP. For this car that is plenty IMHO. Unless you plan on racing it when are you going to need 500 HP? I think many guys that have 500-600 HP realize that if this car gets away from you you could slip and slid like a puck on ice. My suggestion would be to to drive one or get a ride in one. A car with a weight of 2100 lbs can be a rocket with good tires and a nice small block 8 cyl engine. I went with the Ford 302 b/c it is extremely popular, priced well and will not scare the crap out of me to drive it. There was a FFR owner that died in a cobra just a few days ago. The news report stated ""The driver was wearing a seatbelt and speed was a factor in the crash," MSP said in a tweet."

Speed and high horsepower may be cool but in these cars it can also be very dangerous. Just something to consider. Good luck with your journey.

18. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here we are with the "How much is enough" and "How much is too much" horsepower discussion again. There's no one size fits all answer. There are multiple considerations other than just HP, and it also depends a lot on your expectations. The configuration and parts used, the setup up, the tires, conditions, skill/experience of the driver, and what's between the ears of the driver all enter into the discussion. Just to name a few. A well built and setup up Roadster with 225 HP would be lots of fun and may meet your expectations. But to be honest, I'd expect you may want more not too long after getting used to it. For street use though, anything over 300/350/maybe 400 is not likely to get used. At least not very often, and probably not very safely or legally. Great advice to find builds and ask for rides. Do your homework and look at the various options. BTW, this subject also is one of the reasons I've become a huge supporter of the Coyote in these builds. It's on the high end of the power I suggested, to be sure, but it's happy to be driven as mildly or aggressively as you want.

Short comment about the fatal accident last week. Was local for me. Even though I didn't know the car or driver, I know a little bit more about it than has been released to the press. Yes, speed was a factor. But there were other factors as well. Agree that too much HP may increase the risk, but let's not any of us think we are immune from this. No matter the HP, we have to be on be on guard and use good judgement.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-15-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

20. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My signature has the info on my car. In 1990 the advertised HP was 220. Light car + 5 speed + 3:55 gears = fun to drive. After driving the car for a year, I wouldn't mind having another 50HP and I certainly don't need anything over 300HP. My car is not built for the track and I don't have those skills, so the car never sees the track. Cruising around town or a longer day cruise, it's a blast. As others have said, there's no one size fits all.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

22. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback, it’s just what I was hoping for!

I’m not looking for a track day monster, just a good cruiser that drives and sounds great around town, but still has a bit of poke so I can take part in the occasional auto cross event.

I was initially thinking that the donor route was the only way financially, but I would be happy to shell out a bit of extra cash if a more traditional looking option was within reach. I’m a Canadian builder so I have the exchange rate and other expenses to consider as well.
    Last edited by DanM; 06-15-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished #8955, a 289 USRRC bodied MkIV chassis.
    It has a 65 289 HiPo that is making about 300hp, way plenty fast enough and rides and handles beautifully. It will step out in the rear with zealous loud pedal in a heartbeat, and it has a 4speed box with 3:08 gears.

25. Thanks DanM thanked for this post