FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Le Mans Saturday morning! Heritage of our cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Le Mans Saturday morning! Heritage of our cars.

2018 24 hours of Le Mans starts Saturday morning!

24 hours of all out, multi-class racing, through the rain, at night, 200+/- mph, —- how do they do it!!!???

I’ve raced a little,.... just enough to know how hard it can be to stay on point for EVERY turn, EVERY pass, EVERY lap. I’m amazed at the skill and guts of the drivers that can do 4+ hour stints for 24 hours.

And then there are the cars! It’s a testing ground for the latest technology that if proven out, WILL find it’s way to our cars.

And the battles,... Corvette vs Porsche vs Ferrari vs Aston Martin vs Ford GT,.... and that’s just the GT Pro class!

The heritage to our cars is undeniable. It’s amazing seeing what they do today. Can’t imagine how it was in 1965!

The Velocity Channel is covering the entire race starting at 8:00 EDT.

If you have a few minutes, or hours,.... I’d encourage you to watch some of the race. The more you watch, the more appreciation and insight you will gain for these cars and the folks that developed and raced them.

Going to be fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reminder! Today it's incredible that the race can be won or lost in the pits while previously there were always reliability concerns hanging overhead, large times could be caught up, etc. Some things have changed but you're right about the need to stay on point for crazy amounts of time with a high physical and mental exertion.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    This reminds me of the countless meme's, etc. of "motorsports"... or when in conversation the eye-roll after "you didn't see the game?!"... or the "Oh, you're not into sports..."

Yes... I am "into sports"... just not those involving a BALL.

I'm "into sports" that involve total concentration for HOURS, in conditions that'd make the most premier (conventional) athlete buckle, and where if you lose concentration for an nth of a second you will DIE.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    This reminds me of the countless meme's, etc. of "motorsports"... or when in conversation the eye-roll after "you didn't see the game?!"... or the "Oh, you're not into sports..."

Yes... I am "into sports"... just not those involving a BALL.

I'm "into sports" that involve total concentration for HOURS, in conditions that'd make the most premier (conventional) athlete buckle, and where if you lose concentration for an nth of a second you will DIE.
    I'm reminded of the racing meme I once saw...... "If it goes out of bounds in racing, chances are it's not coming back."
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Racing is sport every thing else is just a game

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just watching some pit stops. Fuel, tires, driver change, and new brake rotors AND calipers in less than a couple minutes! AMAZING!! They unbolted the calipers, had quick disconnects on the hoses, pulled thd old ones off, put the new rotor & caliper on (rotor was already in the caliper), plugged in the hose, bolted the caliper on, and bolted the wheel on. Extremely cool!!!

Toyota is crushing LMP1!!

Time for bed so I can get up in the morning to watch the last hour after working out (I found the easiest and least expensive way to take ~60lbs out of all of my cars was to take it off me! 60lbs in 3 months, thank you Dr. Atkins!!!).
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Racing is sport every thing else is just a game
    Ahhh, Hemmingway.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Watched in an hour here and an hour there including the finish.
    Sorry NASCAR, NHRA, F-1 & Indy, but this is racing at it's finest and is obviously the Mack-Daddy of them all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was in Le Mans last week and got to see the track and the museum. It was cool to get to see it in person.

Like the others have said, there is nothing else like a multi-class endurance race.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,